Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

Interesting. I don’t follow the Facebook tree of stuff. Haven’t used Facebook in 13 years. 

the timing and the people just seemed... like a big coincidence :)

i figure(d) it was about moving to something that (appears) to be out of reach of... monitoring. 

(which always cracks me up because inevitably people are moving to a service they know nothing about and are just trusting that a bunch of people on the internet said “hey this is secure no one can see what you say!” and roll with it)

Whereas I just assume that until we actually create some privacy laws in the US, then everything online is being done for the purpose of corporate surveillance. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Whereas I just assume that until we actually create some privacy laws in the US, then everything online is being done for the purpose of corporate surveillance. 

Yup. And if they have the data, then it’s a sealed warrant away from the government having it. 

to bring it around to the topic - a thought I’ve had over the last few days is about how the government is monitoring people for times like this and what they likely do and how they ratchet it up when something happens like last Wednesday... along with parallel construction... warrants are only needed when the governments want something that isn’t given to them. I wonder how many ISP’s and phone service providers, and social media companies, received requests from the government and said “yeah you don’t need a warrant for this one here you go what else you need?” Or even how many reached out to the government themselves and said “what info do you need, also btw here’s a bunch of stuff we’ve been monitoring ourselves that may be useful”

im not convinced our large corporations have morals that made them do it - I’m just curious if it happened and to what extent.

because I’m positive trying to overthrow the government/terrorism is an exception somewhere in their EULA that allows them to just throw your info to the government 

(Microsoft is a big player in this area, people would be surprised the amount of cooperation they have with the government specifically on cyber crime related items but definitely not just that)

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

It’s crazy how often I’ll end of a conversation with some form of... uh, these aren’t my opinions, I’m not even smart enough to come up with this, they’re the opinions of some reputable <whatever>, if you can give me a counter opinion from someone that is also reputable I will absolutely reconsider it, but no I’m not putting your random internet dude on the level of numerous experts that are reputable in the field...

1)  Agree that a big problem is that a lot of positions have become a part of people's identity, for one reason or another. (If you're a Republican, then you simply must refuse to wear a mask. Your team needs you.)

2)  Recalling back when NAFTA was being  debated, I was opposed to it. (Figured it was a corporate scheme to move all our jobs to Mexico)

Until I heard a radio report mention that NAFTA had been endorsed by every living winner of the Nobel prize for economics.  

I was shocked. It had been an element of faith to me that you couldn't get two economists to agree on which direction was East. If all of them agreed on this, I decided maybe I was wrong. 

• Like 3

Fellows didn’t know about a planned march that would eventually overtake the U.S. Capitol. He said he had simply come to see Trump give a speech.

But within hours of watching Trump’s speech, Fellows had his feet propped up on a table in the office of a U.S. Senator, smoking a joint. He roamed the halls of the Capitol, heckled police officers and posted videos along the way on Snapchat.

“I have no regrets,” said Fellows, a 26-year-old former grocery store worker from upstate New York who now makes money cutting trees and repairing chimneys. “I didn’t hurt anyone, I didn’t break anything. I did trespass though, I guess.”

Will circle back to this no regrets quote in a couple days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

GOP Congressman Told Crowd To 'Lightly Threaten' Lawmakers: 'I'm Coming After You'

Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.) last month urged the crowd at a conservative gathering to “lightly threaten” lawmakers ahead of the certification of the presidential election results.

Cawthorn, speaking at a Turning Point USA event on Dec. 21, said he would help raise money for primary challengers to Republicans who don’t join the right-wing effort the subvert the will of the voters.

According to The Charlotte Observer, he told the crowd:

“Call your congressman and feel free, you can lightly threaten them and say, you know what, if you don’t start supporting election integrity, I’m coming after you, Madison Cawthorn is coming after you, everybody’s coming after you.”

The comments are drawing renewed attention after last week’s deadly violence as supporters of President Donald Trump attacked the U.S. Capitol in an attempt to stop Congress from certifying President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.

The freshman lawmaker also spoke at the rally that preceded the attack, where he denounced his House colleagues as “cowards,” lied about the election results and declared: “Wow, this crowd has some fight in it” shortly before the mob engaged in actual fighting at the Capitol.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/madison-cawthorn-lightly-threaten-congress-055015903.html

~~~

3 hours ago, visionary said:

Tots and pears.

~~~

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

rI still question how much violence there will actually be if these Ya'llQaeda members are actually met with the proper law enforcement resistance.  When they "stormed the capital" is wasn't so much a storming as it was being allowed to go in. 

Maybe you haven't been watching the same horrifying videos I've seen.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

According to The Charlotte Observer, he told the crowd:

“Call your congressman and feel free, you can lightly threaten them and say, you know what, if you don’t start supporting election integrity, I’m coming after you, Madison Cawthorn is coming after you, everybody’s coming after you.”

Just reading that?  I'd say that's protected speech.  

That's not urging terrorism.  That's urging people to contact their Congressman and threaten not to vote for him.  

Lock her up.

‘I do regret being there’: Simone Gold, noted hydroxychloroquine advocate, was inside the Capitol during the riot

A doctor and outspoken critic of the coronavirus vaccine was among those who entered the Capitol building last week during the siege that disrupted the certification of the 2020 presidential election.

Simone Gold gained national attention in July when she and other physicians appeared in front of the Supreme Court for a sparsely attended news conference to decry pandemic lockdowns and criticize government efforts to stop the spread of the disease. Video of the event, organized by conservative activists, was retweeted by the president and viewed by millions before social media platforms took it down.

Gold confirmed to The Washington Post that she is the person pictured carrying a bullhorn on the Capitol grounds Wednesday in FBI and D.C. police bulletins seeking more information about individuals who were present.

Click on the link for the full article

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

That's not urging terrorism.  That's urging people to contact their Congressman and threaten not to vote for him.  

Ordinarily I would agree with you.  In light of recent events, I would say this was part of the build-up to the insurrection we witnessed. And it was said in support of the Big Lie that was vomited out of Donald ****wad's mouth that the election was stolen. So he's a co-conspirator in my book.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Ordinarily I would agree with you.  In light of recent events, I would say this was part of the build-up to the insurrection we witnessed. And it was said in support of the Big Lie that was vomited out of Donald ****wad's mouth that the election was stolen. So he's a co-conspirator in my book.

He was also a speaker at the rally prior to the insurrection.

• Thanks 2

@Cooked Crack

that story of the no regrets guy is kind of what I was talking about Friday night and some people I’m personally aware of (friends of friend, no one i am directly friends with)

that is - people that were there to just see what was happening. Then make a stupid mistake that creates a picture that makes them look like one of “them” when they really weren’t. 

i don’t know where we draw the line between someone like that and the terrorists. And I don’t even know what side of the line the no regrets guy should be put on (he entered the Capitol... I have a huge problem with that even if he wasn’t there initially to storm the Capitol... and ultimately (supposedly) only posed for a dumb picture and smoked a joint)

but I know of other people that should not be placed on the side of the line with the terrorists. 

but I fear they might be. 

and I’m not exactly heart broken over it. And to some degree it’s a matter of accepting responsibility for your actions. 

but I am concerned we will go after some people in ways that we shouldn’t. 

it’s a conflicting situation. I fear we will go after anyone we have evidence of anything and maybe not evaluate it all with the nuance we should. Especially the public where one picture gets released and that person is immediately labeled and you can never undo that. 

36 minutes ago, Larry said:

“I’m coming after you” “everybody’s coming after you”

I don’t know. I understand your point. 

I feel like an elected leader should be held to a high standard when they use language like that and then this happens....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

@Cooked Crack

that story of the no regrets guy is kind of what I was talking about Friday night and some people I’m personally aware of (friends of friend, no one i am directly friends with)

that is - people that were there to just see what was happening. Then make a stupid mistake that creates a picture that makes them look like one of “them” when they really weren’t. 

i don’t know where we draw the line between someone like that and the terrorists. And I don’t even know what side of the line the no regrets guy should be put on (he entered the Capitol... I have a huge problem with that even if he wasn’t there initially to storm the Capitol... and ultimately (supposedly) only posed for a dumb picture and smoked a joint)

but I know of other people that should not be placed on the side of the line with the terrorists. 

but I fear they might be. 

and I’m not exactly heart broken over it. And to some degree it’s a matter of accepting responsibility for your actions. 

but I am concerned we will go after some people in ways that we shouldn’t. 

it’s a conflicting situation. I fear we will go after anyone we have evidence of anything and maybe not evaluate it all with the nuance we should. Especially the public where one picture gets released and that person is immediately labeled and you can never undo that. 

Make them pay.  All of them. They can beg for leniency at their sentencing hearings.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope they don't though....

Marvel Under Pressure To Retire Punisher Character And Logo

Voices calling for Marvel to retire the Punisher and/or his logo following its continued adoption as a symbol of hatred and division have increased following the riots at the Capitol in Washington, D.C. Last week, multiple rioters were seen sporting a modified version of the iconic character's logo as they stormed the Capitol in an act of domestic terrorism.

The Punisher logo has been adopted by a number of different groups over the years but has become more prominent in recent months. A former marine, countless writers have been clear that the Punisher is first and foremost a murderer driven by vengeance, putting that above the patriotism and sense of duty he long ago left behind. The Punisher himself has admonished police for wearing his logo, clarifying that it has no place alongside the duty to protect and serve, but that hasn't stopped it showing up on the uniforms of cops and soldiers, as well as in Blue Lives Matter demonstrations and at the Capitol this weekend.....

But the thing that most have commented Marvel should do is enforce their trademark. They haven't been stingy in enforcing it before, but in order to stop organizations from adopting it, they need to get their entire legal team on the situation and start issuing cease and desists, otherwise, there's no coming back from it. Regardless, something needs to change about the Punisher - Marvel can't sit around and do nothing, otherwise the character and his iconic logo will be tainted forever.

https://screenrant.com/marvel-punisher-logo-frank-castle-retire-capitol/

To me it's simple. If you went in then you should be prosecuted if you can be identified. You might not deserve a long sentence like those with bad intentions but you should know better. If the numbnuts who were just going with the flow decided to turn back then any hardcore person would have been snuffed quick. 

• Thanks 1

Re: Simone Gold

I saw this lady speak at my former church (via YouTube) -- my wife and I have a strange habit of continuing to follow out of a curiosity.  

She is an anti-mask, anti-vax doctor and basically said only old people are dying from COVID and "they've lived a full long life" (paraphrasing).  

So many evangelicals blindly support Trump due to abortion.  But that is a position I cannot understand in 2020.  He delivered on the Supreme Court and judges, so there was a rational argument to ditch the toxic personality over policy.  There is also a rational argument that Mitch delivered the Supreme Court and judges and Trump would be no different than Jeb. 

The political anti-abortion stance above all feels like an idol.  GOP has not delivered anything on it in 20 years...

• Like 1