Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

10 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, but I just think it’s been a HUGE overreaction. I sometimes see people walking down the street wearing masks. I don’t think this virus is THAT powerful. I could see if it was 20% or even 10% of the people catching and dying from this, but I’m not losing sleep over 1%. 

Even just the 1% would kill millions of Americans, but if ignored and allowed to run wild the death rate would exceed that figure.  The average changes on health care capacity and our health care system isn’t designed with a pandemic in mind.  This isn’t a theory, we’ve seen it happen, and when it does the death rate increases.  People that could be saved, are not, and this isn’t limited to folks suffering from COVID.  People that needed care would be turned away.  Not to mention the millions more with severe symptoms and side effects.  

If a nightmare plague arose that killed 20% of those infected but still somehow managed to spread as quickly as Covid has, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.  We’d both be too busy manning the walls built around our communities and there would be corpses literally piled in the streets.  There would be no mask debate, only warning shots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope your cousin pulls through. Very sad.

Thanks man.  Honestly I dont know him super well but he's definitely family.  His immediate family is devasted.  Its really sad.  He has a wife and a couple teenage kids.  

I start classes to become an EMT on October 1st.  I figured that would be a decent post-retirement job for me.  I’m worried my class is going to get canceled due to Delta.  I’ve been fully vaccinated for a while now but that doesn’t seem to matter as much now in regards to shutdowns.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Even just the 1% would kill millions of Americans, but if ignored and allowed to run wild the death rate would exceed that figure.  

(Not directed at you Destino)

I still can't believe we are over 18 months into this and people are still arguing the "it doesn't kill enough people for me to concerned" talking point.

Covid is not just about the lives it ends, it is about the treatment required, the resources it takes to handle a virus that is highly contagious and will take up hospital beds that should be going to people with diseases, viruses, conditions, accidents etc etc that there is not, I don't know....a vaccine for?  

Were people not paying attention in 2020 when hospitals were at their capacity because of so many people being admitted for covid alone? 

Luckily we seem to at least be headed in the right direction on vaccines as they are saying 70% have had at least 1 shot, which I assume will turn into 2 shots after their 30 day waiting period, but until then (and probably 10% more to push it to the 80% herd immunity figure) we need to be careful and not just demand to go back to normal. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

(Not directed at you Destino)

I still can't believe we are over 18 months into this and people are still arguing the "it doesn't kill enough people for me to concerned" talking point.

Covid is not just about the lives it ends, it is about the treatment required, the resources it takes to handle a virus that is highly contagious and will take up hospital beds that should be going to people with diseases, viruses, conditions, accidents etc etc that there is not, I don't know....a vaccine for?  

Were people not paying attention in 2020 when hospitals were at their capacity because of so many people being admitted for covid alone? 

Luckily we seem to at least be headed in the right direction on vaccines as they are saying 70% have had at least 1 shot, which I assume will turn into 2 shots after their 30 day waiting period, but until then (and probably 10% more to push it to the 80% herd immunity figure) we need to be careful and not just demand to go back to normal. 

Well, it’s clear after last year that this country has a trifold problem of misinformation/disinformation through social media, poor education, and a mental health crisis.  Combined, this is causing issues with not only the vaccine/COVID, but various other areas including gun control, racism, climate change and frankly anything that involves science or rational thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Has a Ph.D now according to Wikipedia. That's Dr. Holland.

That was his doctoral thesis 

so not a dude you want to argue vaccine hesitancy with …

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

At least he's admitting the mistake and trying to fix it, unlike the DeSantis and Abbott

True, though I'm not going to give him too much credit as I'm guessing the only reason he's reversing himself on this is because he sees that the polling in his state is probably pretty bad, not because he had some moment of clarity and realized he was wrong (though he probably knew he was wrong from the start but didn't want to upset the base, which is even worse).

The fact that he tried to make it sound like he had no part in it is such a cowardly weasel move. "I wish that had not become law." Um, you ****ing SIGNED IT, dude. Did your pen slip and accidentally write your name or something?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bearrock said:

At least he's admitting the mistake and trying to fix it, unlike the DeSantis and Abbott

Yes well that is something. But as the head of state his job was to use available information to his advantage before he made a decision, not wait for people to die then do it. Its not like every epidemiologist and virologist on the planet could have, and did, say how ****ing stupid of an idea that was. 

How long have we known how viruses work now? I personally have know since like the 7th grade exactly how this works. We didnt need to wait for folks to die for him to figure this out. 

• Like 2

Somewhere in there is an element of a leader of an entire state taking their marching orders from the national gop policy/agenda/campaigning people 

it does beg the question of whether such a colossal ****up would have any impact on that specific way in which the gop operates

Im sure it won’t. But responsible people would be forced to question it, I would think. 

Safe to assume his constituents were likely very much in favor of the anti-mask law when it hit his desk. And now, it’s probably safe to assume his constituents have had a change of heart.  Arkansas wanted bad government, voted for bad government…and they received bad government.

Politics as usual, I guess.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Llevron said:

i really wish we would put people in jail for sacrificing public heath for political points. 

Yeah, isn't that some sort of gross negligence at least?

Maybe if they start having to look down the barrel of potential charges and jail time, dip**** politicians won't knowingly sacrifice lives entrusted to their care at the altar of MAGA.

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, isn't that some sort of gross negligence at least?

Maybe if they start having to look down the barrel of potential charges and jail time, dip**** politicians won't knowingly sacrifice lives entrusted to their care at the altar of MAGA.

I wonder if a class action lawsuit would work. MAGA only cares about money. 

45 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Safe to assume his constituents were likely very much in favor of the anti-mask law when it hit his desk. And now, it’s probably safe to assume his constituents have had a change of heart.  Arkansas wanted bad government, voted for bad government…and they received bad government.

Politics as usual, I guess.

Then they’ll double down with Huckabee-Sanders.

1. Anti-Mask mandates are moronic

2. Cloth masks dont work completely

3. The message should be everyone wears an N95

4. They should be handing them out for free everywhere

N95s + Vaccines for everyone would stomp this thing out pretty quickly.  Its really not that hard.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

1. Anti-Mask mandates are moronic

2. Cloth masks dont work completely

3. The message should be everyone wears an N95

4. They should be handing them out for free everywhere

N95s + Vaccines for everyone would stomp this thing out pretty quickly.  Its really not that hard.

Free N95 masks, that won't happen.  Assume it did, there wouldn't be enough masks to go around, not even close what would be needed to accomplish that.  You can't get the idiotic anti-maskers/vaxers to wear any type of mask now or get the vaccine as it is.  

Even if we could give everyone N95 masks and 100% of the USA was vaccinated, we still have to worry about the rest of the world not being able to contain it.  Even with tighter restrictions on travel in and out, breakthrough cases, new variants, etc. are gonna make their way here. 

I'm not disagreeing that it would make **** extremely better, I'm just not optimistic anymore.  The stupid ****ing anti-vaxers and anti-masker crowd gives me zero hope that this **** is going to be under control or close to it anytime in the foreseeable future.  The way we were used to living life is over, thanks to the ****heads.

• Sad 2