Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

People's risk assessment is just odd.

2,977 people died on 9/11.

We've fought two wars (resulting in the deaths of over another 5000 deaths of just AMERICANS), killed people in who knows how many other countries, instituted all sorts of security at airports, and have the Patriot act.

Covid has killed hundreds of thousands of Americans alone.  But wearing a mask is too much.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, clietas said:

Anywhere from 600k - 900k dead Americans but we're all just "overreacting" to the virus what's killing us. 🙄

I still don’t think that’s a cause for nationwide mandates on vaccines. 

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

People's risk assessment is just odd.

2,977 people died on 9/11.

We've fought two wars (resulting in the deaths of over another 5000 deaths of just AMERICANS), killed people in who knows how many other countries, instituted all sorts of security at airports, and have the Patriot act.

Covid has killed hundreds of thousands of Americans alone.  But wearing a mask is too much.

If you’re referring to me, I never had a problem with wearing mask in public places. I’m not one of those people. 

8 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

You aren't qualified to make that determination.  We pay highly educated, highly intelligent, highly specialized people to determine that. It's an astounding level of arrogance to think you, whatever it is you do for a living, know better. And to ignore the advice they give you.  It's political to you, and your team is against it so you find whatever weak ass argument you can to defend your weak ass take on it. 

And I would not give one **** about whatever happens to you if it didn't have the capacity to impact me.  But it does and because so many of you are so monumentally stupid we might just see a mandate.  To save the rest of us the money and effort it takes to deal with you and the other idiots who know better than the CDC.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

If you’re referring to me, I never had a problem with wearing mask in public places. I’m not one of those people. 

You said:

"I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, but I just think it’s been a HUGE overreaction. I sometimes see people walking down the street wearing masks. I don’t think this virus is THAT powerful. I could see if it was 20% or even 10% of the people catching and dying from this, but I’m not losing sleep over 1%."

Walking down the street is a public place.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

You aren't qualified to make that determination.  We pay highly educated, highly intelligent, highly specialized people to determine that. It's an astounding level of arrogance to think you, whatever it is you do for a living, know better. And to ignore the advice they give you.  It's political to you, and your team is against it so you find whatever weak ass argument you can to defend your weak ass take on it. 

And I would not give one **** about whatever happens to you if it didn't have the capacity to impact me.  But it does and because so many of you are so monumentally stupid we might just see a mandate.  To save the rest of us the money and effort it takes to deal with you and the other idiots who know better than the CDC.

Is it mandated? Yes or no? 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Seatbelts are law and I think that’s apples and oranges. 

If a vaccine mandate is imposed, that will be law as well.  Question is whether vaccine mandate should be imposed.  And whether seatbelt mandate should be imposed.

If you feel seatbelt and vaccines are apples and oranges, how about mandatory childhood vaccination?  In poor and developing countries, childhood vaccination program consisting of 10 vaccines has been estimated to save 37 million lives in the last two decades.  Per vaccine, that's only 185k lives saved per year.  You expect the impact to be lower in a developed country like the US.  Should the US do away with mandatory child vaccination laws?

This isn't even considering what a persistent widespread does to the health care system, societal medical cost, and prolonged opportunities for the virus to mutate into ever more virulent and deadly forms.  If a vaccine that saves 600k+ plus lives in a year should not be mandated, how do we justify mandating childhood vaccination or seatbelts that saves far less lives per year?  Or food safety, product safety, water and toxic regulations.  Medicak practioner licensing.  Healthcare facility standards.  I'm not sure how many government regulations you could come up with that actually saves more than half a million lives in a single year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

Exactly. We’ll never meet so you really think I’m staying up at night worrying about you? And you bring up, “what I do?” I have a job that you could catch it at the drop of a hat. I don’t think I’ve had a cold since the pandemic. 

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

Exactly. We’ll never meet so you really think I’m staying up at night worrying about you? And you bring up, “what I do?” I have a job that you could catch it at the drop of a hat. I don’t think I’ve had a cold since the pandemic. 

You may have caught it asymptomatically, spread it to someone else and that chain of spread could've ended up eventually spreading to someone who died.  And even if it hasn't happened yet, it can and most likely will happen in the future unless you either vaccinate or take extreme measures to avoid catching it at all.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

We might have, and shared a beer in tailgate pregame sometime.  And you're probably, outside of your ignorance about statistics and probability, a fine person to hang around with.  Life is looking at probabilities and making the intelligent choice even if you get unlucky occasionally.  Because it's the best choice of many imperfect choices.  Perfection can't be the enemy of good.  That's just idiocy.

17 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

This sort of fallacious anecdotal evidence thinking is one of the huge problems we seem to have. "I've still been going to work and I haven't caught it, so what's the big deal"?

Other variations I've seen are "I don't know anyone who's gotten really sick from it" or "I don't know anyone who's died from it"

Do you not ever think about how what you do affects anything or anyone outside of your immediate self?

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

So Person A, like a lot of us, looks at the total number of dead in the US last year around 3.3 million, a roughly 14 percent increase over the previous year or two, and sees that as significant.

Person B looks at 3.3 million dead and says, "but that's still less than 1 percent of the total US population."

So I ask to the Person Bs out there, how many dead would it take for you to recognize Covid as significant. What I'm seeing from someone's recent posts is that it would take 10 percent of the population dying to categorize this as a big deal. So it would take 35 million to die before it'd make you say "wow!?"  OK then..................

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Been working full time since 93. 

You know what, I was projecting others arguments on you I think. My b. 

I wasnt saying you havent been working. I was saying you not having a cold since the pandemic, is showing that the masking is working......but then your argument was never that masks didnt work. So my b. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

You know what, I was projecting others arguments on you I think. My b. 

I wasnt saying you havent been working. I was saying you not having a cold since the pandemic, is showing that the masking is working......but then your argument was never that masks didnt work. So my b. 

No what it means is that he hasn't let Bill Gates invade his body with magnetized nanomachines yet like the rest of you stupid sheeple.

• Haha 1