Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

• 2 weeks later...

2% of kids and 7% of adults have gotten the new COVID shots, US data show

A month after federal officials recommended new versions of COVID-19 vaccines, 7% of U.S. adults and 2% of children have gotten a shot.

One expert called the rates “abysmal.”

The numbers, presented Thursday at a meeting held by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, come from a national survey of thousands of Americans, conducted two weeks ago.

The data also indicated that nearly 40% of adults said they probably or definitely will not get the shot. A similar percentage of parents said they did not plan to vaccinate their children.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Finally got my shots Thursday. (Covid, and the "over 65" flu.).

Had my usual post-Covid-booster reaction. Sudden 101 fever, lasting 4-8 hours, then felt like crap for maybe 24. 

thought my usual reaction happened like 36 hours after the shot. But this one hit like 12 hours later. 

Figure I'll RSV in a month or so. 

• Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, Larry said:

thought my usual reaction happened like 36 hours after the shot. But this one hit like 12 hours later. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU-XhRDvGjHfSjTfnPAqw

On 11/13/2023 at 10:19 PM, Captain Wiggles said:

Guessing the "cold" I had was the HV1 rona. Didn't have the fever or chills but pretty much all the other symptoms. 

I'll probably have to wait until after Thanksgiving to get the booster n flu shot. 😒

humor3_2.jpg

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2023 at 5:51 AM, Larry said:

Finally got my shots Thursday. (Covid, and the "over 65" flu.).

Had my usual post-Covid-booster reaction. Sudden 101 fever, lasting 4-8 hours, then felt like crap for maybe 24. 

Are you getting the mRNA vaccines?  I had side effects once from the Pfizer booster (3rd shot), extreme fatigue, slight body aches, sinus headache, cold chills, happened 18 hours after getting it.  The first two doses and 4th shot, zero side effects. 

I got the Novavax shot this time, after 24 hours, I got really sleepy and felt kinda off.  I just went to bed early and was fine the next morning, nothing like the side effects from the Pfizer booster.  Maybe try switching to that one next time.  

• 1 month later...

New intranasal vaccine candidate triggers powerful mucosal defense against SARS-CoV-2

A team of scientists, led by Duke-NUS Medical School, has discovered a potential intranasal vaccine candidate that provides improved, longer-lasting immunity against SARS-CoV-2 viruses compared to when given as an injection. By triggering an immune response directly at the point of entry, the intranasal vaccine candidate enhanced long-term immune memory of the virus, which could translate to a reduced need for booster shots.

There is growing evidence that intranasal vaccines provide greater protection at mucosal surfaces, making this a vaccination route that could reduce break-through infections and subsequent transmission of the virus.

Published in eBioMedicine, the findings showed nasal administration of the vaccine candidate boosted mucosal antibody response, as expected. Additionally, and more importantly, it enhanced longer-lasting mucosal and systemic immune protection through preferential induction of airway-resident T cells and central memory T cells.

"Our data show that, compared to subcutaneous vaccination, the intranasal route improved the response of certain immune cells, known as T cells, which reduced disease severity," explained Associate Professor Ashley St John, from Duke-NUS' Emerging Infectious Diseases Programme, who is the lead author of the study. "Not only that, but it also resulted in a greater number of T central memory cells compared to subcutaneous vaccination, which could lead to longer-lasting protection."

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

West Virginia had among the country's strictest child vaccination requirements. Then lawmakers eased some regulations

West Virginia's GOP-controlled state Legislature voted Saturday to allow some students who don't attend traditional public schools to be exempt from state vaccination requirements that have long been held up as among the most strict in the country.

The bill was approved despite the objections of Republican Senate Health and Human Resources Chair Mike Maroney, a trained doctor, who called the bill “an embarrassment” and said he believed lawmakers were harming the state.

“I took an oath to do no harm. There's zero chance I can vote for this bill,” Maroney said before the bill passed the Senate 18-12. The House already approved a version of the bill in February and swiftly approved the Senate bill on Saturday, the last day of the state's 60-day legislative session.

“It’s a bad bill for West Virginia, it’s a step backward. There’s no question, no question there will be negative effects," Maroney said. He added, “It’s an embarrassment for me to be a part of it, it should be an embarrassment to everybody.”

West Virginia, with some of the lowest life expectancy rates in the U.S. and a quarter of all children living in poverty, is one of only two states, along with California, that don't permit nonmedical exemptions to vaccinations as a condition for school entry.

• 4 weeks later...

Von der Leyen had erased all data from her cell phone as an investigative committee of the Bundestag, the German parliament, sought to shed light on contracts with consultants during her tenure.

Frédéric Baldan, the 35-year-old Belgian citizen who filed a complaint against Ursula von der Leyen in the so-called SMSGate affair, is he the subject of retaliation by the European Commission? His accreditation as a professional lobbyist was withdrawn last June by an inscrutable “Transparency Secretariat”, for obscure reasons. An event revealing the functioning of institutions and administrations, those of the EU, which no longer work except for themselves, in the interest of those who direct them and by exempting themselves from the rules of law that they themselves decreed. (G translated)

European prosecutors take over Belgian probe into Pfizergate

EU stonewalls over von der Leyen’s role in multibillion-euro Pfizer vaccine deal

The contract was significant both in terms of volume and price. According to leaked details, shots cost €15.50 each at first, with the price then hiked to €19.50 according to the Financial Times, meaning the contract would be worth around €35 billion if fully exercised. “It is the biggest COVID-19 vaccine contract signed by the Commission and will dominate the EU’s vaccine portfolio until the end of 2023,” the court notes. Pfizer did not respond to a request for comment for this story.