Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Smart people first in line for COVID-19 vaccines, study suggests

Intelligent people get their COVID-19 vaccines much faster, suggests a study of more than 750,000 people in Sweden published in the Journal of Health Economics.

Uppsala University researchers assessed the relationship between cognitive ability and prompt COVID-19 vaccination among 750,000 men and 3,000 women who registered for military service in Sweden from 1979 to 1997. The team used intelligence-test data from the Swedish Military Archives.

In Uppsala, after priority groups received their COVID-19 vaccinations, the government made vaccination appointments for all residents aged 50 to 59 years.

"Most Western countries wanted their populations to be vaccinated as soon as possible," coauthor Oscar Erixon, PhD, said in an Uppsala University news release. "We wanted to investigate whether there was a link to cognitive ability or whether other factors caused the differences and led to people hesitating to get vaccinated."

Click on the link for the full article

FDA approves updated Covid vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna as hospitalizations rise

The Food and Drug Administration on Monday approved updated Covid vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna, putting the shots on track to reach Americans within days as U.S. hospitalizations from the virus rise.

The new vaccines, which target the omicron variant XBB.1.5, are approved for people 12 and older and are authorized under emergency use for children 6 months through 11 years old, according to an FDA release.

The updated vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna won’t be available to Americans just yet.

A CDC advisory panel is scheduled to meet Tuesday to vote on a recommendation on the use of those jabs. After the CDC director signs off on those recommendations, the shots can be administered at pharmacies, health clinics and other vaccine distribution sites.

The Biden administration said in August that it expects new single-strain vaccines from Pfizer, Moderna and Novavax targeting XBB.1.5 to be available to the public in mid-September. 

Click on the link for the full article

I'm ready for a booster, especially since my daughter just came down with Covid...again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I told some MAGA family members my symptoms last week from when I had COVID this past April. Told them my only symptoms were extreme fatigue and weakness for about a month.

they asked “Did you get the vaccine beforehand?” 

“Yes”

” We haven’t. The vaccine is what’s causing the issues. We’ll never get it.”

” Well, I think the vaccine came after people were getting COVID and dying. We don’t have a chicken and egg conundrum.”

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

has anyone gotten the booster shots since they started pushing them out every fall?

After the initial two shots, I get every booster. Age and health history say yes to every booster possible. I don't get flu shots. I'm getting the Shingrix vaccine now, it's a two shot vaccine with a 2-6 month delay between first and second shots. I stopped wearing masks in public a couple of months ago but I'm going back to wearing one because Texas.

China, glad to hear your daughter is doing okay!

Edited by LadySkinsFan

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

And its still too early for one now 

Maybe later around December but Sheesh the mad dash to be first for these yearly boosters, smh 

Considering it specifically addresses the new omicron variant, one would think getting boosted against that would be a priority  

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw I work for a State Health Department (specifically supporting Infectious Diseases Labs), and I am of course, very pro vaccine. 

You do you ix, but this schmuck (me) needs to stay a covid free unicorn. I think the boosters, masking, handwashing help.

fair, won't argue with that 

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I found my vaccination card...it's full. 

Do we get new ones or what?

Yes. But the cards were just for proof during lockdowns. 

I know my state has an online card that gets updated when you get a new shot. You can download the new card each time to show proof (if it's warranted). 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1