Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

I'm a doctor still treating COVID patients. I'm getting the booster – you should, too.

With the latest variants, infections, hospitalizations and, yes, deaths are creeping up. We can't let our guard down.

“Déjà vu, not again,” was my first thought when, as a front-line physician, I recently admitted a patient struggling to breathe with COVID-19.

It had been at least a year since I saw someone who had a CT scan as bad as his, with inflammation ravaging every part of his previously healthy lungs. And it had been quite some time since I had a patient with COVID-19 decompensate as quickly, within hours requiring 60 liters per minute of 100% pure oxygen to stay alive (for perspective, people with home oxygen are often only requiring 2 liters per minute of 28% oxygen).

Thankfully, since the middle of last year, very sick patients dying from COVID-19 has been much rarer. The pandemic is over and the nation has moved on. However, with the latest COVID-19 variants, infections, hospitalizations and, yes, deaths are on the rise. We are nowhere near the time when we saw more than 1 million Americans die from the virus, but we cannot again let our guard down.

The Food and Drug Administration has just approved a new booster shot. It is vital that we use this tool and get boosted to avoid further serious illness and protect the vulnerable.

Click on the link for the full opinion

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

nah the vaccine at this point is for people 65 and older. and if course health officials. of which I am neither. 

I beleive the recommendation is that anyone can get the new updated booster provided they haven't had a previous booster shot (or covid) within the past 2 to 3 months. 

Edit...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/12/health/covid-cdc-vaccines.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended on Tuesday that all Americans 6 months and older receive at least one dose of the latest Covid shots, the last of a trifecta of vaccines intended to prevent another surge in respiratory infections this fall and winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nobel Prize to Kariko and Weissman for mRNA vaccine technology.  https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/02/europe/nobel-prize-medicine-mrna-covid-vaccines-2023-intl-scn/index.html

This makes me so happy.  Read about Kariko's story - she's amazing, a real hero of perseverance and overcoming huge odds.  And props to Weissman for supporting her work and giving her room to prove it, even though everyone was telling him not to...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Malaria vaccine big advance against major child killer

A cheap malaria vaccine that can be produced on a massive scale has been recommended for use by the World Health Organization (WHO).

The vaccine has been developed by the University of Oxford and is only the second malaria vaccine to be developed.

Malaria kills mostly babies and infants, and has been one of the biggest scourges on humanity.

There are already agreements in place to manufacture more than 100 million doses a year.

It has taken more than a century of scientific effort to develop effective vaccines against malaria.

The disease is caused by a complex parasite, which is spread by the bite of blood-sucking mosquitoes. It is far more sophisticated than a virus as it hides from our immune system by constantly shape-shifting inside the human body.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Oh, ****. Now you've got Apple and Windows in you. Pretty soon, you won't be able to see ES. 

Aren't we all supposed to be zombies now?  I was told that the Emergency Alert System (EAS) signal that was sent out today was supposed to use the 5G signal to trigger the latent Marburg virus in all of us that were vaccinated and turn us into zombies.  I'm so disappointed.  I was looking forward to eating some brains.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fall COVID shot uptake is an “abysmal” 7%; wastewater testing impaired

More than a month since US health officials recommended updated COVID-19 vaccines for all Americans, only 7.1 percent of US adults have rolled up their sleeves for the shot and just 2.1 percent of children have been immunized.

The uptake is sluggish at best, and the current rates were dubbed "abysmal" Thursday by one immunization adviser for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC's advisory panel got an update yesterday on the fall campaign to boost protection against COVID-19 ahead of the winter respiratory illness season.

The current uptake is far short of survey data from last month that indicated more than half of American adults planned to get the shots. And survey data presented yesterday to the CDC advisory committee didn't differ dramatically from that. In a National Immunization Survey-Adult COVID Module that ran from October 8 to 14 that polled 14,715 adults, 24.6 percent said they "definitely will" get vaccinated, and an additional 30.6 percent said they "probably will." That's on top of the 7.1 percent who reported they were already vaccinated. The remaining 37 percent said they will definitely or probably not get vaccinated.

The disappointing vaccination rate so far may partly reflect a rocky rollout for this year's updated shots, which were for the first time distributed on the commercial market rather than via a federal distribution system. In the earliest days of this year's rollout, people seeking the updated shots reported encountering limited supplies, cancelled pharmacy appointments, and billing chaos. Some insurance companies were slow to update their billing codes to include the updated vaccines, leading some insured people facing erroneous $200 bills.

With those problems largely worked out, CDC Director Mandy Cohen remains hopeful that vaccination rates will increase—at least hitting last year's disappointing rate of 17 percent.

Click on the link for the full article