Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

3 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

My neighbor told me that the kids his son plays high school football with are dropping left and right and dying from the vaccine. I just said “interesting, I haven’t heard about that at all.” I really didn’t know what to say

Next time ask him if his son is now first string.

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

My neighbor told me that the kids his son plays high school football with are dropping left and right and dying from the vaccine. I just said “interesting, I haven’t heard about that at all.” I really didn’t know what to say

How about, “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, did you eat paint chips as a kid?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

Americans may soon have to pay for COVID vaccines themselves rather than getting them for free

The U.S. government is planning to stop paying for COVID-19 vaccines and treatments, and shift the bill onto the health care industry and eventually the consumer—possibly making it one of the first countries to end the practice of giving out coronavirus vaccines for free.

The Department of Health and Human Services will hold a planning session on Aug. 30, the Wall Street Journal reported, to bring together representatives from the health care industry as well as state health departments, to discuss the commercialization of COVID-19 treatments.

The move comes a few days after White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha confirmed on Tuesday that the Biden Administration had taken steps to get past the crisis phase of the pandemic and stop buying vaccines, treatments, and tests as early as fall.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 2

Omicron-specific Covid booster shots are just weeks away. Here’s who will—and won’t—be eligible

Newly updated Covid booster shots designed to target omicron’s BA.5 subvariant should be available within in the next three weeks. That begs an important question: Who’s going to be eligible to get them?

The short answer: anyone ages 12 and up who has completed a primary vaccination series, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesperson tells CNBC Make It. It’s unlikely to matter whether you’ve received any other booster doses or not before, the spokesperson says — but if you’re unvaccinated, you won’t eligible for the updated formula until you complete a primary series with the existing Covid vaccines.

The longer answer is somewhat more complex, because it depends on which booster shots get approved and when.

Pfizer’s “bivalent” shot, which targets both the original Covid strain and omicron’s BA.5 subvariant, is expected to be authorized first. The CDC says it’ll likely come with a wide eligibility swath: the full group of vaccinated Americans ages 12 and up.

Moderna’s bivalent shot is expected to follow suit later, most likely in October. It’ll come with a somewhat narrower range of eligibility, at least at first: vaccinated people ages 18 and older. For both shots, younger pediatric age groups could become eligible later, the CDC says.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 4:01 PM, China said:

Just got my Moderna bivalent booster (that's my 5th shot so far) and a flu vaccine to boot.

Just got mine done earlier today too since I've got a bunch of upcoming travel....worked for me last time, hoping for the same again....and hoping I don't get knocked on my ass tomorrow since I'll be busy :ols: 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Got my fourth shot yesterday morning. (And flu, as long as I was there.)

Same reactions as shots #2 and 3. A little arm soreness. (Although a lot less, this time). And got hit with a fever, around 10PM. (Highest temp i saw was 100.8). 

And just like previous, it's already over. Lasted a few hours. 

Penis still attached. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Got my bivalent and flu shot yesterday around 11:30am in different shoulders.  My shoulders were a bit sore last night and my bivalent shoulder was more sore.

This morning I kinda feel like crap.  Just kinda "blah".  I have a headache and just feel a bit tired.  I never have reactions other than sore shoulder to flu shots, but the last booster I got with a flu shot I didn't have any reaction too either.  I'm guessing how I feel now is from the booster shot.  Hope it's gone by tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DeSantis seeks grand jury investigation of COVID-19 vaccines

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Tuesday that he plans to petition the state's Supreme Court to convene a grand jury to investigate “any and all wrongdoing” with respect to the COVID-19 vaccines.

The Republican governor, who is often mentioned as a possible presidential candidate in 2024, gave no specifics on what wrongdoing the panel would investigate, but suggested it would be in part aimed to jog loose more information from pharmaceutical companies about the vaccines and potential side effects.

He made the announcement following a roundtable with Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo and a panel of scientists and physicians.

“We’ll be able to get the data whether they want to give it or not,” DeSantis said. “In Florida, it is illegal to mislead and misrepresent, especially when you are talking about the efficacy of a drug.”

I think they misspelled the Florida Surgeon Generals last name, should be Lapdog.

And pharmaceutical companies have lots of money to fight nonsensical lawsuits.  I don't see this going well for DeSantis.  He's just trying to score political points with the ignorant anti-vaxxers.

• 4 weeks later...

The bivalent vaccine booster outperforms

You may recall that I was a skeptic about the bivalent BA.5 vaccine when the FDA gave it the OK to roll out in September without any human data. At the very least, I had hoped there would be lab studies to confirm a strong immune response to this variant, and that it was superior to the original (monovalent) booster that was directed to the ancestral (Wuhan) strain. But we now have extensive data that is quite encouraging—better and broader than expected— that I’m going to briefly review here.

1. Lab Studies

These are assessments for the neutralizing antibody response to the bivalent (BA.5 directed) booster compared with the original (Wuhan strain directed) booster as a function of variant. There have been 8 such studies, 2 published today in NEJM that were previously available as preprints (Barouch and Ho labs). Of the 8 reports, 5 used live virus which is a far more reliable assessment. All of these converged on the bivalent’s superior neutralizing antibody response to BA.5, as hoped and anticipated, but also against XBB, which is fortuitous since XBB.1.5 is on a rapid path to US dominance now, having already reached >70% in the Northeast region.

These live virus studies offer consistent evidence of broadened immunity from the BA.5 vaccine that is improved over the original booster shots. In contrast, the Ho and Barouch lab studies using pseudovirus assays showed minimal difference for the original and bivalent booster vs. BA.5

efdcc2f8-9a03-4923-881f-e343534d015e_446

2. The new Israeli study

Among more than 700,000 participants age 65 and older, who either had the bivalent or did not, there was an 81% reduction of Covid hospitalizations (Figure below) and an 86% reduction of deaths. During over 70-days follow-up, there were 73 deaths in those without the bivalent and 1 death of a participant who received it (among ~622,000 and 85,000 seniors, respectively).

02fb7d28-9050-4b50-9431-9cd3b82e1333_286

3. The CDC report

On December 30, 2022 the CDC issued 2 Morbidity and Mortality weekly reports (MMWR) on the initial bivalent booster vaccine effectiveness. Here are the data for age 65 and older, showing marked protection vs. hospitalization ranging from 73 to 84%, comparing not only to those unvaccinated but also those individuals who had been vaccinated and boosted. A second report was for all adults age 18 and up, showing bivalent booster 38 to 57% effectiveness vs hospitalization, which is consistent, but of lower magnitude than for seniors. This would be expected in a lower risk group with a high incidence of infections in the unvaccinated controls. It is notable how well the CDC data for seniors lines up with the Israeli data above.

4. CDC Results Through November 2022, the BQ.1.1 wave

On December 28, 2022, the CDC posted updates data for the bivalent vaccine protection vs hospitalization. During November, for people age 65 and older, there was a 90% reduction of hospitalizations for the bivalent vs unvaccinated, a 13.5-fold increased risk of hospitalization for the latter group, and 2.5 fold higher rate among seniors vaccinated but without a bivalent booster. The relative reduction was similar for all adults age 18+, albeit with less absolute benefit in the overall adult population of younger age groups at lower risk. The consistent and large reduction of hospitalizations, esepcially among the vulnerable during the BQ.1.1 wave, reflects the broadening of the immune response for the bivalent as compared with the original booster shot.