Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

It's frustrating how long it takes up to date information to trickle from virologists and immunologists to the ground. I got a test the other day and the guy giving it was telling all types of misinformation on rapid tests saying they aren't that accurate and only goof for when you have symptoms.

This is of course completely wrong as rapid tests still detect Omicron's subvariants, and because of preexisting immunity, your viral load often peaks after your symptoms start resolving not when you initially feel sick like before vaccines/infection. The best time to use rapid tests now is after your symptoms peak not during the peak.

The first shot was easy for me. A long nap was about the extent and even then I may have just been using the shot as an excuse. The second one was nothing to remember either I went to work the same day. 

Covid, though, kicked my ass in the teeth. There was about a 10 hour stretch were I was positive the fever was going to kill me before my lungs would have a chance. 

Wife was the exact opposite. Both shots messed her up good. Covid (while prego) was little more than a sniffle for her. We didn’t even know she had it until I tested positive. Not one symptom. 

The deadline hasn't already passed?  Why so late with the deadline?

Army Guard troops risk dismissal as vaccine deadline looms

Up to 40,000 Army National Guard soldiers across the country — or about 13% of the force — have not yet gotten the mandated COVID-19 vaccine, and as the deadline for shots looms, at least 14,000 of them have flatly refused and could be forced out of the service.

Guard soldiers have until Thursday to get the vaccine. And according to data obtained by The Associated Press, between 20% to 30% of the Guard soldiers in six states are not vaccinated, and more than 10% in 43 other states still need shots.

Guard leaders say states are doing all they can to encourage soldiers to get vaccinated by the time limit. And they said they will work with the roughly 7,000 who have sought exemptions, which are almost all for religious reasons.

“We’re going to give every soldier every opportunity to get vaccinated and continue their military career. Every soldier that is pending an exemption, we will continue to support them through their process,” said Lt. Gen. Jon Jensen, director of the Army National Guard, in an Associated Press interview. “We’re not giving up on anybody until the separation paperwork is signed and completed. There’s still time.”

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin last year ordered all service members — active-duty, National Guard and Reserves — to get the vaccine, saying it is critical to maintaining the health and readiness of the force. The military services had varying deadlines for their forces, and the Army National Guard was given the longest amount of time to get the shots, mainly because it’s a large force of about 330,000 soldiers who are widely scattered around the country, many in remote locations.

Click on the link for the full article

Ted Cruz tears into Sesame Street for 'aggressively advocating' vaccinating children under five with Elmo getting a shot and says they have 'ZERO scientific evidence'

Sen. Ted Cruz's war on Sesame Street resumed Tuesday after the Texas Republican saw that the fictional muppet Elmo had been vaccinated against COVID-19. 

'Thanks, @sesamestreet for saying parents are allowed to have questions! You then have @elmo aggressively advocate for vaccinating children UNDER 5,' Cruz tweeted. 'But you cite ZERO scientific evidence for this.' 

Elmo, who's been a Sesame Street character for decades, is only age 3.  

The Sesame Street Twitter account posted a video earlier Tuesday that encouraged parents to talk to their pediatricians if they had concerns about vaccinating young children, as those shots became available earlier this month.

Click on the link for the full story

Florida Pediatrician Booted From State Board for Being Pro-Vax

University of Miami Health System pediatrician Dr. Lisa Gwynn has been an advocate for Florida children under 5 to get the COVID vaccine—a stark contrast to the state officials, who declined to order vaccine doses for kids because they don’t support the FDA-approved move. Apparently, that pissed off Jimmy Patronis, Florida’s chief financial officer and a DeSantis cabinet official, so much that he booted her Wednesday from the state’s Florida Healthy Kids Board. In an email, Patronis said she had made “some very political statements that do not reflect the CFO’s point of view, even going so far as to as to say that the state is ‘obstruct(ing)’ access to vaccines. The CFO does not share your opinion and believes the state has gone to great lengths to protect lives in the face of the Coronavirus.” Gwynn was baffled. “I’m not a politician, I’m a pediatrician,” Gwynn told The Miami Herald. “And there’s no other reason for me to do what I do other than to improve the health of children in our state.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 2

24 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Can someone please explain why a non-RNA alternative vaccine is necessary/desirable?

For people that are hesitant or had bad reactions to the RNA vaccines.  People that have been saying they won't get vaccinated because of concerns about the newer mRNA based viruses no longer have an argument.  And it is possible that people that have had bad reactions to the RNA vaccines will have less of a bad reaction to this.

They are also likely more stable so long(er) term storage is easier.  Not too much of an issue in the US, but certainly a benefit in less developed countries and even in the US in rural areas.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Can someone please explain why a non-RNA alternative vaccine is necessary/desirable?

From an article linked in the above:

For certain groups of people — particularly young men — the mRNA vaccines carry a slightly elevated risk of a heart condition called myocarditis. Novavax's vaccine has not been linked to myocarditis.

• Thanks 1

Just curious, what is the latest consensus on the 2nd booster?  Originally weren't they saying that was mostly for the more vunerable groups and those over the age of 50 (or was it 60?).  Given that the new variant seems to be wreaking some havoc, are they recommending all adults get the 2nd booster?

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Just curious, what is the latest consensus on the 2nd booster?  Originally weren't they saying that was mostly for the more vunerable groups and those over the age of 50 (or was it 60?).  Given that the new variant seems to be wreaking some havoc, are they recommending all adults get the 2nd booster?

Still 50+, sadly. It probably needs to be open to everyone with this new variant emerging. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I currently know an alarming amount of people with Covid, ranging from the unvaxxed to someone who got their 4th shot last month.  All reporting really bad sore throat, headaches, sore muscles, just generally feeling like ****.

That doesn't surprise me.  Americans have decided Covid is over, even if Covid isn't gone.  I rarely see people wearing masks anywhere anymore.  People won't learn.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

For folks at got Covid after 2 or 3 Moderna doses, were your symptoms similar to your booster reaction? Currently dealing with uncontrollable chills just like after the booster, and can’t really find anything only about what to expect with Covid. 

Had 3 Moderna's.  Horrible symptoms each time (chills, body aches, etc...)  When I really caught Covid last month it completely leveled me for two weeks.  I was told that if I had gone to Dr. and gotten antivirals it wouldn't have been so bad.  But yea...it still hurt like hell in spite of the vaccines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGoodBits said:

For folks at got Covid after 2 or 3 Moderna doses, were your symptoms similar to your booster reaction? Currently dealing with uncontrollable chills just like after the booster, and can’t really find anything only about what to expect with Covid. 

I got 2 Pfizer shots and a Moderna booster. 1st shot: felt sluggish and my arm hurt for about 24 hours. 2nd shot: nothing, but I got it later in the day after a meal and hydrating. Booster: same as #2, mild discomfort for a few minutes, then nothing.

Just got over a bout of Covid I tested positive for last Tuesday. I felt like I had a mild cold for 2 days, then kinda fatigued for another 2. Now I feel fine, no symptoms left despite still testing positive.

6 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

My neighbor told me that the kids his son plays high school football with are dropping left and right and dying from the vaccine. I just said “interesting, I haven’t heard about that at all.” I really didn’t know what to say

Ask for proof (call him out on his BS), but be subtle, ask for names so you can send condolences to the families.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1