Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I still think people, for whatever reason, equate vaccination with cure. 

I never said that.. I know vaccines are there to mostly keep you out of the hospital. I was just saying in my personal experience, it worked well enough a few months ago to keep me from getting infected at all. Now it seems like that part of the protection has waned a bit (or could be a new variant like someone pointed out). 

Either way, happy the vaccine has helped me in different ways. All I was saying was I hope they can one day figure out how to make the current vaccines last longer

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, mammajamma said:

I never said that.. I know vaccines are there to mostly keep you out of the hospital. I was just saying in my personal experience, it worked well enough a few months ago to keep me from getting infected at all. Now it seems like that part of the protection has waned a bit (or could be a new variant like someone pointed out). 

Either way, happy the vaccine has helped me in different ways. All I was saying was I hope they can one day figure out how to make the current vaccines last longer

I know. I meant people in general. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I still think people, for whatever reason, equate vaccination with cure. 

Nope. 

But a whole lot of them have been successfully, intentionally, convinced, that "does not provide 100% lifetime prevention against colonization" equals "dangerous and proven to not work". 

By people who are intentionally working to harm the country, knowing that they will kill people. 

• Thanks 1

Four cadets at the Air Force Academy may not graduate or be commissioned as military officers this month because they have refused the COVID-19 vaccine, and they may be required to pay back thousands of dollars in tuition costs, according to Air Force officials.  It’s the only military academy, so far, where cadets may face such penalties. The Army and Navy said that as of now, not one of their seniors is being prevented from graduating at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, or the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, due to vaccine refusals. The graduations are in about two weeks.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:26 PM, mammajamma said:

The covid vaccine doesn't protect you from getting an infection. You can still get an infection however if you got the shot and your antibodies counts are high the antibodies will kill the virus even before you even become sick or even notice you got the infection. This is why you will need to keep on taking booster shots unfortunately.  A variant does posses a threat to the vaccine you got but really depends on which variant. The covid vaccine is effective (but not 100%) on some of the variants and you will just get a mild infection instead.  

It is really hard to make a vaccine to last longer against covid because how quickly it mutates. It is a moving target unlike polio or chicken pox viruses which don't mutate at all or rarely. Just like the flu virus (the contagious corona family of viruses) you have to get a flu shot every year since new strands pop up every year. That is why there is no one vaccine for the flu virus either; that if you take it you won't get the flu ever again or for a very long time. But maybe with the new mRNA technique they could make the vaccine to adapt to the various variants but that might be years away though I would imagine.

Too bad there was no way to give 7+ billion people the shot at the same time. Covid would have died in it's track and no mutations either. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zCommander said:

The covid vaccine doesn't protect you from getting an infection. You can still get an infection however if you got the shot and your antibodies counts are high the antibodies will kill the virus even before you even become sick or even notice you got the infection. This is why you will need to keep on taking booster shots unfortunately.  A variant does posses a threat to the vaccine you got but really depends on which variant. The covid vaccine is effective (but not 100%) on some of the variants and you will just get a mild infection instead.  

It is really hard to make a vaccine to last longer against covid because how quickly it mutates. It is a moving target unlike polio or chicken pox viruses which don't mutate at all or rarely. Just like the flu virus (the contagious corona family of viruses) you have to get a flu shot every year since new strands pop up every year. That is why there is no one vaccine for the flu virus either; that if you take it you won't get the flu ever again or for a very long time. But maybe with the new mRNA technique they could make the vaccine to adapt to the various variants but that might be years away though I would imagine.

Too bad there was no way to give 7+ billion people the shot at the same time. Covid would have died in it's track and no mutations either. 

ya i'm aware of everything you said and agree. my whole point before was this part of your post:

"But maybe with the new mRNA technique they could make the vaccine to adapt to the various variants but that might be years away though I would imagine."

i know it's not current tech and might take a while, but it'll be interesting to see how this pandemic advances how vaccines work in the future.  i read something about the military developing a vaccine they think can work with ANY coronavirus variant. i know its the military, but stuff like that would be huge going forward to longer lasting vaccines

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, mammajamma said:

"But maybe with the new mRNA technique they could make the vaccine to adapt to the various variants but that might be years away though I would imagine."

i know it's not current tech and might take a while, but it'll be interesting to see how this pandemic advances how vaccines work in the future.  i read something about the military developing a vaccine they think can work with ANY coronavirus variant. i know its the military, but stuff like that would be huge going forward to longer lasting vaccines

Ah, gotcha. What covid has done, at least, bring this old mRNA tech to the front for FDA approval. Now more things can be fixed with mRNA now too. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Any symptoms? We're going Monday - I hope for #2. 

I got my Moderna second booster last month, and had no symptoms. No symptoms initial jab, knocked down for a day with jab two, and mild symptoms, and general malaise with booster 1. 

So, if you’ve followed my path, no worries!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Novavax vaccine was shown to be 90 percent effective in a clinical trial run before the emergence of the omicron variant of the coronavirus. The results were announced a year ago, but the vaccine has repeatedly been delayed by manufacturing challenges.

A combination COVID-19 booster dose that targets the ancestral strain of SARS-CoV-2 and the initial omicron variant, BA.1, appears to outperform the current booster against both of those versions of the virus, Moderna reported Wednesday. 

Specifically, Moderna says the combination booster increased neutralizing antibodies against omicron 8-fold, while the original booster only increased antibody levels around 4.4-fold. Ars Trending Video  The vaccine maker is angling to have this bivalent shot—dubbed mRNA-1273.214—be the go-to booster for seasonal shots this fall.

The company will be submitting its data to the Food and Drug Administration in the coming weeks and says it hopes to have the bivalent booster available by late summer, if not early fall.

I will say that this shot has my arm hurting terribly, far worse than the other 3.  

And I feel like I've been in a fight.   This was totally unexpected.  (Of course, my belief that I'm 10 feet tall & bulletproof doesn't help. )  I'm staying home today. 

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

I will say that this shot has my arm hurting terribly, far worse than the other 3.  

And I feel like I've been in a fight.   This was totally unexpected.  (Of course, my belief that I'm 10 feet tall & bulletproof doesn't help. )  I'm staying home today. 

Sorry to hear. Quite arbitrary how people react to each shot. Shot 1 and 4 were a cakewalk for me. Shot 2 knocked me down for a day, and shot three, just a little malaise.

You should feel like $1M tomorrow…let’s hope!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Sorry to hear. Quite arbitrary how people react to each shot. Shot 1 and 4 were a cakewalk for me. Shot 2 knocked me down for a day, and shot three, just a little malaise.

You should feel like $1M tomorrow…let’s hope!

Our family experience has ranged from nothing to minor aches and sniffles like a mild cold. Fortunately nothing worse. Wonder if being fatigued or otherwise under the weather when you get the shot plays a role.

Edited by Corcaigh

The 1st shot and 1st booster were easiest,  2 & 4 have hurt.   Then again, this is the first one since I've been back at work and after my shift, so I don't know if that factored in.  

However ****ty I feel today, I'm sure that it beats getting covid. 👍  I'll continue to get boosted and just schedule it differently.  

• Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

However ****ty I feel today, I'm sure that it beats getting covid. 👍  I'll continue to get boosted and just schedule it differently.  

And if it is inevitable that you get COVID at some point, as may well be the case, the odds are so much better that it will be a minor inconvenience rather than require hospitalization or worse.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1