Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

It is true. I think I saw it mentioned on Good Morning Football, Get Up or First Things First about a week ago.

Definitely risky but if anyone reneged they would become a pariah. No one would ever trust there word again but still there is a risk.

Yeah but I'm like what do I care if some other team becomes a pariah if I'm the one who's out $20M. Lol

But hey, there are lots of financial decisions NFL players make that I would never make. 😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm "meh" on Matt Ryan. He's a good QB but I don't think he's great and he'll be 36 this coming season so I doubt we get more than a couple years out of him. He's certainly above any guys who will likely be available via FA, but he's lower on the list of guys I'd trade for. I suppose I'd be ok with a 2nd but not enthusiastic about it.

If we had Matt Ryan as our starter all year with this defense and a healthy TMac, Antonio Gibson, and Logan Thomas we would have won at least 11 games.

You’re right that he is an old 36 (not the years, the mileage) but we are poised to win now not five years down the road. We can only hold that first round D-line together a few more years before it’s payday. If Ryan can be a top 12 qb for 3 years that’s all we need.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

I mean we already went with the correct stash plan of trading for an established vet ( Smith), drafting a replacement to learn behind him ( Haskins). It just didn’t pan out. But with our defense, I think it’s still the right play to try again. Get a reliable vet QB (Ryan) with as few assets as possible and draft a developmental guy (Lance/Mac/Ridder) who could be ready in year 3. We could still take advantage of the rookie contracts currently on the roster. 

Matt Ryan is still an elite level qb that is never injured. He’s a bit of a statue, but not afraid to run. Dude is intense about football. I’ve always liked that in him. He’s also hardly injured. Can’t say the same of Stafford/Carr/Darnold. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I mean we already went with the correct stash plan of trading for an established vet ( Smith), drafting a replacement to learn behind him ( Haskins). It just didn’t pan out. But with our defense, I think it’s still the right play to try again. Get a reliable vet QB (Ryan) with as few assets as possible and draft a developmental guy (Lance/Mac/Ridder) who could be ready in year 3. We could still take advantage of the rookie contracts currently on the roster. 

Matt Ryan is still an elite level qb that is never injured. He’s a bit of a statue, but not afraid to run. Dude is intense about football. I’ve always liked that in him. He’s also hardly injured. Can’t say the same of Stafford/Carr/Darnold. 

I would dispute him being an elite QB. I think he's very good but not anywhere near a Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, etc.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

If we had Matt Ryan as our starter all year with this defense and a healthy TMac, Antonio Gibson, and Logan Thomas we would have won at least 11 games.

You’re right that he is an old 36 (not the years, the mileage) but we are poised to win now not five years down the road. We can only hold that first round D-line together a few more years before it’s payday. If Ryan can be a top 12 qb for 3 years that’s all we need.

Ryan is a statue that makes a truckload of money.  I wouldn’t be so sure that he equates to 11 wins.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

What would you guys give up for Watson?

The house, the guest house and the yacht.

Watson's cap hit is only 15 next yr.

Their shelves are bare in terms of money and draft picks. They will likely have to trade away JJ Watts 17 mil. hit.

That being said Watson is untouchable. The only way we can pry him away is if he

A - hates the new coach

B - refuses to be a part of a long term rebuild

Unless he demands a trade, he is going nowhere.

He is my fever dream at QB tho. I'd constantly be shooting texts to Hou GM about what it would take.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Some people are speculating he does not like the GM hire.

People on every social media platform are currently pushing him to ask for trade.

I wonder if two 1sts, Tim Settle and Landon Collins get the Texans thinking (I think you actually proposed something similar or even the same trade lol) We have good players that we can move that won't hurt our depth too much. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

All true.

However, I recently learned while watching a talking head sports show that this is not necessarily the impediment to a trade that I thought it was.

There is a legal maneuver or gentleman’s agreement which requires trust and therefore some risk between all three parties (player, present team, and future team) which can make such a trade practical for all concerned.

This is the gentleman’s arrangement which allows for the trading of a player whose cap hit would otherwise preclude a trade:

1. The player voluntarily writes a check to his current team for the amount of bonus money he has been paid. Say $20 million dollars. This amount then comes off of his future cap hit. It is allowed by the CBA but the player is taking a risk by doing this if either his old team or the team he later gets traded to reneges on the deal.

2. The current team then trades the player to his new team.

3. The new team then signs the player to a restructured contract which includes a signing bonus equal to or greater than what the player paid the team in step 1. above.

*This maneuver was mentioned specifically as a way that Carson Wentz could be traded by Philadelphia to another team without destroying their cap.

I found the video on youtube that explains how this cap manipulation scheme works.

Essentially as long as a player is willing to write a check for the bonus he received from his current ball club he can be traded without a severe cap penalty being incurred by his current team. The team that acquires him would then reimburse him as part of a new or restructured deal.

This essentially means that ANY PLAYER willing and able to do this is tradeable.  

Bring on MaHomes! 😊

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure I like Cam even as a cheap roll of the dice bet let alone 20-25 million a year.     NE from what I saw paid him 1.75 million -- he had a stinky season in a prove it year and we pay him like he killed it?

Agree, no way he get paid like that. I read the NE deal was a max 7.5mil, heavy with incentives...that he largely missed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I found the video on youtube that explains how this cap manipulation scheme works.

Essentially as long as a player is willing to write a check for the bonus he received from his current ball club he can be traded without a severe cap penalty being incurred by his current team. The team that acquires him would then reimburse him as part of a new or restructured deal.

This essentially means that ANY PLAYER willing and able to do this is tradeable.  

Bring on MaHomes! 😊

But wouldn't Mara make sure that the Commish steals draft picks from us for violating the "spirit" of the cap?

• Haha 2

The Cam to DC article is just rank speculation masquerading as journalism. An unapologetic conjecture based on what the author thinks is logical.

It’s a click bait roach motel made to spur discussion for discussions sake. 

If anyone on this forum wrote the same thing they’d have been dismissed out of hand.

Nothing to see here.

• Like 1