Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

20 minutes ago, SeatCushionGame said:

Keep building through the draft.  I'd rather not trade picks and probably a d-line stud, even for Watson.  I would be willing to trade up to get Lance, Fields or Wilson if they dropped to the low teens for some reason.

At some point we need a QB to win, and every year that goes by that we don’t have a QB our window starts to narrow.

Not sure why you’d be ok trading picks to move up in the draft for an unproven QB rather than trading picks for a proven QB. 

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

At some point we need a QB to win, and every year that goes by that we don’t have a QB our window starts to narrow.

Not sure why you’d be ok trading picks to move up in the draft for an unproven QB rather than trading picks for a proven QB. 

I agree that we need a QB.  I just don't want to trade three first round picks plus more to get Watson or another proven QB.  Trading from 19 to 12 obviously wouldn't be that expensive.  I trust our scouting department.

Based on what Ron did in 2020; we are going for a veteran.  The window is open now to contend; so he will want his starter to be veteran.    Going with a rookie and waiting for him to develop; the Team doesn't have time for that. Considering where we are drafting; we aren't going to be able to draft a rookie QB; who would make an impact in his rookie year.  So, I am confident Ron acquires a veteran to be his starter.  Now, we may still draft someone in Round 2 or 3 or in 2022; to groom to take over when the veteran retires.  I am just pretty that 2021 will not see our starting QB being a rookie QB. 

20 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Based on what Ron did in 2020; we are going for a veteran.  The window is open now to contend; so he will want his starter to be veteran.    Going with a rookie and waiting for him to develop; the Team doesn't have time for that. Considering where we are drafting; we aren't going to be able to draft a rookie QB; who would make an impact in his rookie year.  So, I am confident Ron acquires a veteran to be his starter.  Now, we may still draft someone in Round 2 or 3 or in 2022; to groom to take over when the veteran retires.  I am just pretty that 2021 will not see our starting QB being a rookie QB. 

Thats why I'm wanting to try and get Brees, Rodgers, Watson, Jimmy G, Matt Ryan, Stafford, Winston or even Dak. I think with a QB we are serious SB contenders. I think put of those 8 we should have a chance to get one of them. 

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Man I wonder who the FO likes. "If they are in position to get him" so someone who could feasibly be around at 19? Mac Jones? Desmond Ridder in the 2nd?

Seems like a Mac Jones comment in the first but I guess we'll have to wait and see. 🙂

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Man I wonder who the FO likes. "If they are in position to get him" so someone who could feasibly be around at 19? Mac Jones? Desmond Ridder in the 2nd?

The only person that they could reasonably think is likely to be there at 19 is Mac “The Grand Master” Jones or if they get very, very lucky possibly Trey “The Missing Link” Lance.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Not the biggest Fitz fan, but do like his unique leadership abilities. I mean, I think he’s a legend as far as a dude goes lol

From following his Dolphins career somewhat closely, Fitz is sort of legendary as for intangibles in the locker room and on the field.  Players seem to love him and feel comfortable with him on the field.  As a player, he's sort of the reverse of Alex.  Alex is conservative and there is good and bad to it.  Fitzpatrick is daring and there is good and bad to it.  The ones who like those players say there is more good then bad in their play.  Personally, I'd easily pick Alex in his heyday over Fitzpatrick.  Today, I'd go Fitzpatrick over Alex purely because of mobility.  I don't love Fitzpatrick but if I had to pick among the current FA's he'd be my top pick.  But my ambitions are much bigger thn Fitz. 

• Like 1

Got to hope it’s Lance we like. More likely Jones or Trask. That’ll go down well.

Still going to need a vet unless either Smith hangs around or they roll with Allen at first. 

Got to think a significant upgrade that we are all mostly looking for will come at considerable cost.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The Texans aren't trading Watson. Don't see why this is even being discussed. Might as well try to trade for Pat Mahomes while we're at it. I prefer to live in the land of reality.

They traded Hopkins right? The best WR in the NFL.....Who knows what some of these organizations think. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From following his Dolphins career somewhat closely, Fitz is sort of legendary as for intangibles in the locker room and on the field.  Players seem to love him and feel comfortable with him on the field.  As a player, he's sort of the reverse of Alex.  Alex is conservative and there is good and bad to it.  Fitzpatrick is daring and there is good and bad to it.  The ones who like those players say there is more good then bad in their play.  Personally, I'd easily pick Alex in his heyday over Fitzpatrick.  Today, I'd go Fitzpatrick over Alex purely because of mobility.  I don't love Fitzpatrick but if I had to pick among the current FA's he'd be my top pick.  But my ambitions are much bigger thn Fitz. 

Agreed. Alex's biggest attritbute currently is his story. It's motivating and inspiring. His teammates want to play and win for him, but he also offers very little on the field. Fitz seems to bring out the same drive and grit in his teammates and certainly is a much more productive player offensively today. If we do draft a Lance or Ridder, then Fitz seems better suited for this offense during the transition than Alex solely because I don't think Alex can withstand the riggers of a full season. 

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fitz has paid his dues and then some, he deserves to play for RR and have a defense like the WFT....I'll bet he could take this team a long way given the chance. 

• Like 2

I've long held Watson as my fever dream for a reason. I realize that a trade is both difficult  and impossible without the player himself demanding it.

But if he does, what choice does the Hou organization have? Even if they have to eat a MASSIVE dead cap hit, when the face of your franchise demands a trade, you don't have a lot of options.

And here is the kicker... After the Watkins trade, Watson installed a no trade clause in his new deal. He will have to approve any proposed trade in order for it to go through. Most great teams wont have the assets necessary to trade for a QB of his caliber, or it wont be worth said assets for the upgrades he would provide. Watson will not want to go to a bad team that would not be able to field a SB roster right off the bat, so a lot of the worst teams in the league w/ a glaring hole at QB would be out of the running

We could be looking at an NBA superstar trade situation where the player dictates where he goes by providing a short list to management. Due to our strong D, and young talent, Wsh would almost certainly be on that list.

It is amazingly unlikely that any of this happens. It would likely require Hou hiring Chip Kelly, or Watson getting in a fist fight w. his GM.

A Zombie can dream tho.... or fever dream as it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Sounds like we don't expect to go very far in the playoffs if we're looking at the 19th pick with a relative "we got our eye on someone" approach.

25 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

It is. They’re very high on his upside and Ron prefers someone with mobility

I'm not very familiar with your history, but do you have a source for this?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to see where you're getting it from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1