Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

If we had Watson, would you guys give him up for two 1sts? Three? The whole thing is ridiculous. He's almost priceless and they aren't letting him go. 

Oh I agree. I was just answering the question? They royally messes up by trading Hopkins. But they can't be stupid enough to trade Watson. 

I’m sorry, maybe unpopular opinion here, but I’d trade the farm for Watson. Elite 25 year old QBs don’t come around for trade often. I’d be willing to go as far as three 1sts, 2 seconds, and a player like Ionnaidis or maybe Allen. Add in a prime FA WR, sprinkle in those 3rd rounders, and we have a threatening offense.

This would be my ideal situation:

QB: Watson

RB: Gibson, McKissic

WR: McLaurin, Godwin, Sims, 4th RP

TE: Thomas, 3rd RP

LT: Lucas/3rd RP

LG: Schweitzer 

C - Roullier

RG: Scherff 

RT: Moses

An offense like that with our defense and we’d be favorites for the East for the next couple of seasons. As well as contenders for the conference.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

I’m sorry, maybe unpopular opinion here, but I’d trade the farm for Watson. Elite 25 year old QBs don’t come around for trade often. I’d be willing to go as far as three 1sts, 2 seconds, and a player like Ionnaidis or maybe Allen. Add in a prime FA WR, sprinkle in those 3rd rounders, and we have a threatening offense.

This would be my ideal situation:

QB: Watson

RB: Gibson, McKissic

WR: McLaurin, Godwin, Sims, 4th RP

TE: Thomas, 3rd RP

LT: Lucas/3rd RP

LG: Schweitzer 

C - Roullier

RG: Scherff 

RT: Moses

An offense like that with our defense and we’d be favorites for the East for the next couple of seasons. As well as contenders for the conference.

Exactly. That is super solid. With the way the NFC is we would definitely be Super Bowl contenders the next 3-5 years easy. 

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

I think Mac is the target at #19 if Smith is still with us and is named the new GM.  Mac could shoot up draft boards and I expect he scorches Ohio St. offensively.  Just a guess.  Lance could then be there if Mac moves up the boards.  I am a Mac Jones through and through and hope he's there at #19 for the chance to draft him. 

Can we still get a good quarterback at pick #32?  Not sure if Mac Jones will be available.  I am making the assumption tjzt we win the super bowl.  Just kidding but one can dream. Jones could be the next Tom Brady in that he has more intangible traitsthan tangible ones.

We have got to go get Watson.  It's the absolute ideal scenario for us.  I don't care what it costs, just go and do it.  It should have been done in 2017 when we had the ****ing second overall pick in our hands but Bruce Allen sat on his balls like the stupid god damn piece of **** that he is and ****ed us.  This is the chance to redeem that catastrophic failure.

• Like 2

You add Watson alone to our roster and we are runaway NFC East champs.

You add Watson and another WR... NFC SB contender if not fav.

If Watson is demanding a trade, they have to move him. And you trade the farm to bring him in. 3 1s if that is what it takes.

25 yr old Elite QB. How many of those in the league? 3?

Watson has a no trade clause so he will not be shipped off to the highest bidder. Dont have to beat the best NFL offer, just the best one of a team he is willing to go to.

If the trade demand is true... Dear God you make that happen and worry about the cost later.

And if you can get Watson. You can take your pick at WR as any of them will WANT to play here

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2

Wow the Texans really are a mess. There is a rotten undercurrent there. Watson’s ‘input’ on the GM and HC positions does seem slightly bizarre.

As for Watson the player,  well I almost think the price would become irrelevant. If you want him, you simply have to go all in on him, stick a couple more years on his contract and sit back with your QB in place for 5-7 years minimum.

Resign Scherff. Adding a FA receiver would be easy with him at QB. Pipe dream.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hooker on a 2mil  prove it deal? That would be awesome. Solid true FS for JDR.

A $2 hooker?  If mccloughan were still here, it'd be as good as done!

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Edited by KillBill26
  • Haha 2

On 1/5/2021 at 1:34 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt there is any coach though that has a preference for lower round guys.  I know you say you do but I think you are unique on that front.  I think they are going Zen on this.  If there is a veteran they love they chase him.  if not, they don't.  Ditto the draft. 

Its funny and I was thinking about this and I think it stems from my roots as a fan. If you look at our drafts in the 80s and 90s, with the notable exceptions of a few hall of famers (Monk, Green) and just good players (May), what you see is that we either traded out of the first round or drafted a bust. I remember being in college and hating the first round because of all the bad players we had drafted. I would constantly roll the names off my tongue and I think Tom Carter was the best first rounder we had since Green for a while. 

80 - Monk

81 - May

82 - None

83 - Green

84 - None

85 - None

86 - None

87 - None

88 - None

89 - None

90 - None

91 - Bobby Wilson (played til 1994)

92 - Desmond Howard (bust but won a SB as a returner)

93 - Tom Carter

94 - Heath Schuler 

95 - Michael Westbrook

96 - Andre Johnson

97 - Kenard Lang

98 - None

99 - Champ

It wasn't until Champ that we saw the string of success in the first that we're having right now (with the exception of QBs). But at this same time we were able to field good to great teams by finding gems late in the draft. It was really one of my favorite times ot go to the bookstore, find the scouting magazine and read about all the potential guys we could draft and their ups and downs, then reading about who we drafted and how good they will likely be. It helped that both Beathard and Casserly were great at finding lower round guys. 

I mean look at the faces that formed my childhood and where they were drafted: 

Charles Mann - 3rd round 83

Russ Grimm - 3rd round 81

Raleigh Mckenzie - 11th round 85

Mark Schlereth - 10th round 89

Dexter Manley - 5th round 81

Jon Jansen - 2nd round 99

Mark Rypien - 6th round 86

Kurt Gouvea - 8th round 86

Monte Coleman - 11th round 79

Brian Mitchell - 5th round 90

Stephen Davis - 4th round 96

Tre Johnson - 2nd round 94

Don Warren - 4th round 79

Edited by Thinking Skins

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

Its funny and I was thinking about this and I think it stems from my roots as a fan. If you look at our drafts in the 80s and 90s, with the notable exceptions of a few hall of famers (Monk, Green) and just good players (May), what you see is that we either traded out of the first round or drafted a bust. I remember being in college and hating the first round because of all the bad players we had drafted. I would constantly roll the names off my tongue and I think Tom Carter was the best first rounder we had since Green for a while. 

That was the pre cap days where we could load up on veterans and pay whomever we want.  Now going younger and cheaper is critical to survive that cap.  Sadly some associate this team's downfall to the cap considering it basically forced this team to overhaul their success model. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That was the pre cap days where we could load up on veterans and pay whomever we want.  Now going younger and cheaper is critical to survive that cap.  Sadly some associate this team's downfall to the cap considering it basically forced this team to overhaul their success model. 

That's part of it, and you could see how much worse we got when the cap came, but I'm talking more about just the use of the draft. I think what impacted this strategy more was the reduction of the draft to just 7 rounds. It means that you have to hit on more players with less options. Add to that no USFL and other leagues where QBs and players were going and getting experience before coming to the NFL and it leads to less exposure for the guys who aren't at top tier programs, so you have the questions of "yeah he looked good, but against inferior opponents", or "yeah he looked good but he had a hand of nothing but aces and kings, could he play his hand if it was a handful of nothings"? These are the type of questions that can be answered with more film and more game tape, particularly in a league like the USFL and CFL where competition isn't the NFL level but its better than college level. 

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

I think Mac is the target at #19 if Smith is still with us and is named the new GM.  Mac could shoot up draft boards and I expect he scorches Ohio St. offensively.  Just a guess.  Lance could then be there if Mac moves up the boards.  I am a Mac Jones through and through and hope he's there at #19 for the chance to draft him. 

Just curious why you think this? Have there been any reports of this? Aside from my own thoughts about Mac, it seems like Smith likes mobile QBs more: here with Smith (more mobile in his younger days), Allen and Heinicke. In Carolina with Cam and even Will Grier. That seems like a stark contrast from Mac.

Mobility is not the end all and be all, but Mac is not seen as this elite level prospect who can do anything like some previous QBs have been (Manning comes to mind). He's likely to struggle as a rookie like most rookies, but having legs on young QBs I would think helps them adjust to the league. Funny fact. John Elway led the AFC in rushing in 84, 85, 86, and 87 with about 250 yards each year - that's what we considered mobile back then. My how times have changed. I used to love Elway in the 80s until he retired. He was my favorite AFC QB. 

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We have got to go get Watson.  It's the absolute ideal scenario for us.  I don't care what it costs, just go and do it.  It should have been done in 2017 when we had the ****ing second overall pick in our hands but Bruce Allen sat on his balls like the stupid god damn piece of **** that he is and ****ed us.  This is the chance to redeem that catastrophic failure.

I had a nightmare last night that the Eagles and Texans worked out a trade where Philly sent Carson Wentz, the #6 overall pick and Jaelen Reagor to the Texans for Watson. Both teams got rid of their disgruntled QB's and the Texans got a 1st round pick plus a 1st round WR in Reagor. 

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I’m fairly certain we had the #17 pick in 2017. Wasn’t the 2nd pick traded to Chicago for Trubisky that year?