Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Crazy to anoint him QB1 based on 5 quarters of football, I sincerely hope he stays but last night made me excited for what this offence could be if we went out and got a QB1 that can move outside the pocket

Then draft one and let him compete.

We have too many flaws to tie up our cap space in an expensive FA option. You don't fix LB, WR, CB, FS and add OL depth while paying Stafford. But if Heinecke/Allen/draft pick ends up working out as a QB room, you can. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Crazy to anoint him QB1 based on 5 quarters of football, I sincerely hope he stays but last night made me excited for what this offence could be if we went out and got a QB1 that can move outside the pocket

I disagree. He’s looked immediately competent. Consistent. Mobile. Quick witted. 

How old was Romo when he won the starting job?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

We have too many flaws to tie up our cap space in an expensive FA option. You don't fix LB, WR, CB, FS and add OL depth while paying Stafford. But if Heinecke/Allen/draft pick ends up working out as a QB room, you can. 

Stafford would cost less against the cap than Alex would next year.  I doubt he gets put on the market.  But if he does, the wildcard to me is how much would it take?

No team is obviously perfectly balanced with no weaknesses.  We likely aren't going to cover every hole.  I think two playmakers on offense, add another rotational RB, add a stud MLB, and that would take us far.

Last night we went toe to toe with arguably the most stacked roster in the NFL, and it went down to the wire.  My takeaway is Bruce's infamous comment "we are close" is actually for once on the money now that he's gone. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Depending on that draft pick, if we go into the season with that as our QB room I’d not be confident we will be winning the division again

I know it’s seems harsh because last night is so fresh in the mind, but we need a serious long term solution at the QB position and the time to get it right is now, no more gambles, more what if’s this defence is now and imo we can’t gamble that Taylor Heinicke is QB1 now there’s too much at stake

Bring him back, let him compete? sure. But I hope for Washington’s stake he’s competing against a Top end FA or a **** hot draft pick

We have our qbs. Hienicke, Allen, and Montez. If they want to draft someone in the later rounds, so be it. Cam or Stafford would not have played as good as TH. 

Our o-line looked bad last night. Couldn't run the ball, TH took some bad hits. Let's do the smart football move and build the line. We have the quarterbacks. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

I'm with you. Definitely shouldn't anoint him. I'm fine with bringing him back next year and letting him compete for a spot but nothing more. You can't fall in love with a guy after one game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Depending on that draft pick, if we go into the season with that as our QB room I’d not be confident we will be winning the division again

I know it’s seems harsh because last night is so fresh in the mind, but we need a serious long term solution at the QB position and the time to get it right is now, no more gambles, more what if’s this defence is now and imo we can’t gamble that Taylor Heinicke is QB1 now there’s too much at stake

Bring him back, let him compete? sure. But I hope for Washington’s stake he’s competing against a Top end FA or a **** hot draft pick

The question is, can we get what we saw last night, on the biggest stage, from someone for a price that allows us to improve as a team? Either from Heinecke or someone else. The goal should be to improve as a team without sacrificing QB play. It's a very tricky balance that even great franchises like the Patriots run into, as they did near the end with Brady. 

The simplest answer is to find a steal in the draft. That is very difficult, but there's a reason why great QB play on a rookie contract is exceedingly rare and leads to championships. It's the most valuable asset on any team. 

13 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I disagree. He’s looked immediately competent. Consistent. Mobile. Quick witted. 

How old was Romo when he won the starting job?

At no point have I said he isn’t any of those things, I completely agree that that’s how he looked. For 5 quarters of football and for me that 5 quarters of football has earned him a contract offer from the WFT and an opportunity to compete for a starting spot, but I just hope that competition is considerable 

19 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

If he’s competing against a top end FA or high draft pick he’s not competing. He lost. Before it starts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So Allen is an ERFA who can be retained at a low cost. Heinicke got a couple of hundred grand on a pro-rate of what would be a 1 year 910k deal.

I’d be tempted to offer them both the same deal to return. 2 years, 4/5mil maximum, inclusive of built in incentives to each deal. Don’t think either warrants more than a couple of mil per year deals at the moment. Let them battle.

We still need another option. No way we are paying Smith nearly 20mil. 

I'm fine with having Allen and Heinecke compete for the job next year while continuing to stockpile the roster. I'm of the opinion that unless you have a real game changer superstar QB, you're better off just having someone who's pretty good but really cheap and just surrounding him with a killer supporting cast and hoping he can catch lightning in a bottle in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So Allen is an ERFA who can be retained at a low cost. Heinicke got a couple of hundred grand on a pro-rate of what would be a 1 year 910k deal.

I’d be tempted to offer them both the same deal to return. 2 years, 4/5mil maximum, inclusive of built in incentives to each deal. Don’t think either warrants more than a couple of mil per year deals at the moment. Let them battle.

Smith is going to retire.

If Lance is available in the mid teens I still say trade up for him.

But barring that kind of move I go back to Shane Buechele from SMU

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I only trade up for a QB if we let Allen and/or Heinecke go. If we keep both then it just seems overly redundant and a waste of resources.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I would love him to make it past the 49ers pick, the Chargers picking #13 looks the place to jump to if Lance is still on the board. He’d be a great compliment to the group.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I only trade up for a QB if we let Allen and/or Heinecke go. If we keep both then it just seems overly redundant and a waste of resources.

I don’t think so. Lance would have time to develop as the number 3. In a year or two one of Heinicke/Allen move on and Lance competes for the starting job. If he wins, great. If he loses but looks good trade him. Or continue to develop.

Trading major assets would be a bad look, though.

I’m not even saying Heinicke is for sure the guy. He may not even be the short term guy. But if we have guys like him and Allen and a developmental prospect there’s no need to spend 20M on a veteran QB when the roster needs so many pieces. 

They are good enough to bridge, is more the point. And while bridging if they prove themselves as the long term starter... that’s excellent for us.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Stafford would cost less against the cap than Alex would next year.  I doubt he gets put on the market.  But if he does, the wildcard to me is how much would it take?

Last night we went toe to toe with arguably the most stacked roster in the NFL, and it went down to the wire.  My takeaway is Bruce's infamous comment "we are close" is actually for once on the money now that he's gone. 

I’m less all in on a Stafford now that I feel like we might have a Romo, Kurt Warner, Gannon situation. 

And I agree. We are close. We might have won that game last night if we had Ioannidis and one more impact player on offense. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The question is, can we get what we saw last night, on the biggest stage, from someone for a price that allows us to improve as a team? Either from Heinecke or someone else. The goal should be to improve as a team without sacrificing QB play. It's a very tricky balance that even great franchises like the Patriots run into, as they did near the end with Brady. 

The simplest answer is to find a steal in the draft. That is very difficult, but there's a reason why great QB play on a rookie contract is exceedingly rare and leads to championships. It's the most valuable asset on any team. 

I appreciate what your saying and your 100% right that’s a tough balance to find

A big concern of mine is that what fans saw from 5 quarters of Heinicke they think that’s what they’ll get full time if he’s QB1 and I’d hazard a guess that there will likely be a drop off either small or large, what we saw last night to me just doesn’t seem sustainable

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm fine with having Allen and Heinecke compete for the job next year while continuing to stockpile the roster. I'm of the opinion that unless you have a real game changer superstar QB, you're better off just having someone who's pretty good but really cheap and just surrounding him with a killer supporting cast and hoping he can catch lightning in a bottle in the playoffs.

Especially when both guys can move, extend and create plays. Taylor is a much more skilled runner but Allen has the stronger arm and has  speed as we all know. 

Would be wild if Ron went this direction, but you’d at least have to expect a rookie to be added to the mix. 

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This is the way.

We saw some huge plays by Heine last night. No other QB  on ou roster even comes close to his downfield perspective we saw last night. As of this moment, he's much better than either Smith or Allen. Bringing in a ex-superstar QB would only cause confusion.

Other holes need to be filled: WR, MLB and some serious OL adjustments so we can actually run the ball.

We can compete.

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think so. Lance would have time to develop as the number 3. In a year or two one of Heinicke/Allen move on and Lance competes for the starting job. If he wins, great. If he loses but looks good trade him. Or continue to develop.

Trading major assets would be a bad look, though.

I’m not even saying Heinicke is for sure the guy. He may not even be the short term guy. But if we have guys like him and Allen and a developmental prospect there’s no need to spend 20M on a veteran QB when the roster needs so many pieces. 

They are good enough to bridge, is more the point. And while bridging if they prove themselves as the long term starter... that’s excellent for us.

Each time I feel like posting something, it appears KDawg has already said what I want to say and probably explained it better than I ever would!

😂

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I'm just seeing this now, but I had posted 2 yr 5 mil in another thread.  But I'd make it fully guaranteed to entice him to sign now before he can field offers from other teams.  If he doesn't pan out, dead cap hit of about 3 mil in 2022.  Not a big deal.  But if he does pan out, that's a quick cheap way to plug in a successful QB.

• Like 1