Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you listen to Ron interviews, what beat guys have heard, etc.  They practically put up a billboard for the off season shopping list:

QB

WR

MLB

Rivera has hinted he's happy with the O line.  So while that is touted by some as a need, I wonder if they go shopping on that front. 

Agreed.  I would also like to double up on all three positions in free agency and the draft.

• Like 1

Just listened to Keim's podcast with Bram.  Some takeaways:

A.  QB is task #1 in the off season

B.  Probably bring back Heinicke but they likely don't trust him just yet as the #1.  Durability concerns.

C.  New veteran likely their top desire.  Win now -- exploit window with cheap D line. 

D.  Rivera likes QBs with mobility, mobiliy, mobility

E.  Rivera has stressed a number of times he likes Qb with mobility.  As an ex-defensive coordinator he knows mobile QBs are tougher to defend

F.  Bram thinks the Rivera needs to talk to Dan bit that came out today likely centers on Alex

G.  They don't think Alex is the answer for next season

H.  They don't think they will make an aggressive trade up move in the draft to get a QB

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

After QB.

Obviously other needs/price tags come into play.  But everything being equal IMO the two most obvious WR targets are Allen Robinson and or Curtis Samuel.  This is just guessing their tact. 

Robinson to me is the top dog WR in FA similar to how Cooper was last year.  IMO he's better than Cooper.   He might even be better than Terry.  If they want to shoot for the fences IMO he's the biggest home run at that spot. 

Samuel is obviously familar to Rivera and Turner.  He can play slot.  And he'd be another hybrid type of player who could also fill in if McKissic or Gibson miss games. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Obviously other needs/price tags come into play.  But everything being equal IMO the two most obvious WR targets are Allen Robinson and or Curtis Samuel.  This is just guessing their tact. 

Robinson to me is the top dog WR in FA similar to how Cooper was last year.  IMO he's better than Cooper.   He might even be better than Terry.  If they want to shoot for the fences IMO he's the biggest home run at that spot. 

Samuel is obviously familar to Rivera and Turner.  He can play slot.  And he'd be another hybrid type of player who could also fill in if McKissic or Gibson miss games. 

JuJu or Corey Davis, plus Samuel. But the draft is excellent at receiver too.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B.  Probably bring back Heinicke but they likely don't trust him just yet as the #1.  Durability concerns.

C.  New veteran likely their top desire.  Win now -- exploit window with cheap D line. 

E.  Rivera has stressed a number of times he likes Qb with mobility.  As an ex-defensive coordinator he knows mobile QBs are tougher to defend

F.  Bram thinks the Rivera needs to talk to Dan but that came out today likely centers on Alex

H.  They don't think they will make an aggressive trade up move in the draft to get a QB

new veteran is not that easy to get. got to wonder were this ends up.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

F.  Bram thinks the Rivera needs to talk to Dan bit that came out today likely centers on Alex

There’s no QB out there in FA with mobility that’s an upgrade over Taylor.  I doubt a trade happens either because any QB worth anything won’t be available via trade - Everyone needs to stop the Watson talk.

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

JuJu or Corey Davis, plus Samuel. But the draft is excellent at receiver too.

It wouldn't be both if its Juju and Samuel.  Both are slot Wrs.  Davis and Samuel maybe.   If they are duplicating the Cooper FA chase I think Robinson fits that bill more so than Corey Davis.  If they want two receivers then yeah they'd have to go cheaper.  But i am guessing Davis might not be that cheap considering his age.  The interesting wildcard is there is a rare glut of both FA Wrs and its a deep draft at that spot -- so does make it tougher for these WRs to score big money?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My other issue with your stances on it is it comes off to me defeatist.  Even if I ran with an example of a dude who hit lightening in a bottle like Foles and had a flukey run in the post season.  Aside from it being unlikely to repeat itself - don't we want sustainable success?  Are the Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen types who likely will have their teams competitive for like 10 years just kind of like what happens to other teams but not us?  We got to shoot lower?

Two of those guys I would love to have gotten on our team based on how they were acquired, Brees and Rodgers. We passed on Rodgers and drafted Rogers, which I didn't mind initially but when we drafted Campbell, i was like why k not go after the guy who was supposed to go number 1? Never liked that. Brees was more iffy because there were a lot of questions and there have been other FA qbs who were all hype and never lived up to it, but if we had done what Body to get Brees, I'd be behind it. 

I'm not against Rivera. I didn't like the way he handled Haskins but join further evidence i have changed on that. After the stripper i just assume he's thick headed and it's a problem in other places too. But I like the mentally that Rivera put into the locker room. And hopefully he's here long term. 

But i have crushes on guys who aren't getting opportunities, like Bibbs. What was the guy getting playing time ahead of him with no production? The guy who missed a block that led to Smith getting hurt. Not saying these guys are all pros but how can we improve as a team if we're not willing to play the best players, especially if the reason is because the player and the coach are banging the same secretary. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

There’s no QB out there in FA with mobility that’s an upgrade over Taylor.  I doubt a trade happens either because any QB worth anything won’t be available via trade - Stop the Watson talk.

It would be just Cam and Tyrod Taylor and to a lesser extent Brissett as for FAs unless I am missing one. 

As for the stop the Watson talk, I presume that's just a general statement and not directed at me considering I am the one who posted the tweets from Houston reporters who said its not happening.  Although Mort today stirred the pot with a new rumor relating to Miami on that front but I purposely didn't post it. 

• Like 2

PFF predicts Taylor is the one who ends here

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-who-is-the-most-complete-2020-nfl-playoff-team

51. QB TYROD TAYLOR

Penciled in as the Los Angeles Chargers’ starting quarterback this season, Tyrod Taylor lasted a game before a doctor inadvertently punctured his lung when administering a painkilling injection meant to help him battle through injured ribs. That thrust Justin Herbert into the lineup, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Taylor now hits free agency again, with the last signs of his best play even further in the rear-view mirror.

His one game this season saw him earn a 60.7 PFF game grade, and you have to go back to 2017 for his last solid stretch of starting play. That said, it’s hard to completely ignore three years where he was a very capable, if flawed, starter for the Bills. He’s likely a backup at this point — but a good one, which is valuable.

Contract Analysis: Taylor had an opportunity to start at the beginning of the season and demonstrate why he’s earned several top-of-market backup quarterback contracts, with the potential to earn another. A mistake by the Chargers’ medical staff vaulted Justin Herbert into a starting role, and he never looked back. If a team is looking for a good mentor to a young quarterback, it’s hard to argue with Taylor’s track record helping out Baker Mayfield and now Justin Herbert in consecutive stops.

Prediction: Football Team signs Taylor for two years, $10 million. $5 million total guaranteed, $5 million fully guaranteed at signing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It would be just Cam and Tyrod Taylor and to a lesser extent Brissett as for FAs unless I am missing one. 

Cam is a liability in the passing game.  He's not a huge upgrade to the rushing attack after what you give up from his dead shoulder and wacky throwing motion.  He looks like an awkward baseball windup before launching balls into the ground.  Brissett/Taylor are no better than Heinicke/Allen.  But there's going to be more available as teams release and draft.  Here's FA list 1st 20:

Screenshot 2021-01-11 053315.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

new veteran is not that easy to get. got to wonder were this ends up.

I know.  Trade for Mariotta?  FA: Cam, T. Taylor, Brissett.  Ryan isn't mobile.  Stafford has some mobility but he isn't a running threat.   Ditto Fitzpatrick. 

In the draft later on, Jamie Newman, K. Mond have some mobility.  Lance if he falls.  

@TheShredder

I wasn't giving my top list of QBs.  I was discussing with another which FA Qbs were mobile.  I have a few pages worth in recent days of posts of me crapping on Cam for example.  Having said that, alas I am not being consulted on what happens.  :ols:   So it doesn't in the end matter what I or you think about these QBs.  So if mobility is really hot on their agenda, i am just throwing the options on that front, that's all.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Durability is far from the only question with Heinicke. However, he showed what Allen doesn't show against a top D, or any decent D...He had complete command of the offense and able to read most of what the very good D threw at him.

While Alex knows the offense, is mobile and not ultra expensive you also know you will not win in the playoffs or even get to them with him as the QB

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ugh Tyrod Taylor, really? Heinecke is a better QB. Yes I'm serious. Tyrod is ass. Get ready to be frustrated by a guy who simply can not run an NFL passing game at ALL.

We know you’re serious. Because Heinicke IS a better QB.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But he can’t throw a pass to a receiver.

I know, and I agree, but I'm not sure RR has written him off just yet. Heinicke is 6'1 and can run and throw, just lacks the size and stamina. Drew Brees is 6'0 and has broken down this season too. I would roll with Heinicke but who knows who RR wants?

I said in another threat that my preferred room is Heinicke, Allen and Tyrod. Heinicke will get a chance to compete for the starting job but won't be handed the keys. But he will get a real chance. That means no Stafford or Ryan, no trade up for Lance, no giant trade for Deshaun.

The one wrinkle will be if Dak somehow leaves Dallas. But I don't see that happening tbh.

Tyrod and Mariota if Gruden makes him available are the targets IMO. 

• Like 1