Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

12 minutes ago, MarkMissoula said:

Doubt TH has a future  in DC based upon his political stance. Don't see it.

Our Defensive Coordinator has very similar political stance. Hasn't caused him too many issues so far.

Im also not buying into this 5 quarters thing. Yes it's a small sample size. You know what else is a small sample size? Drafting a QB in Round 1 who has played zero quarters of football. We're rolling the dice drafting a QB, we're rolling a dice running with Heinicke. Roll the cheap dice and beef up the roster with some weapons. If Heinicke ain't "it" then we'll be very favourable landing spot for someone in 2022.

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Our Defensive Coordinator has very similar political stance. Hasn't caused him too many issues so far.

Also those tweets have been disputed.  they aren't from a live twitter account.  It's some dude who claims he said it from what i understand.  From what I've read about Taylor, he's a quiet and unassuming guy.  He doesn't strike me the type to be in someone's face on a political stance.  Who knows but at a minimum those tweets aren't verified as fact.  But agree even if it were the dude would survive them.  You have all sorts of political views out there, to each their own. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Im also not buying into this 5 quarters thing. Yes it's a small sample size. You know what else is a small sample size? Drafting a QB in Round 1 who has played zero quarters of football. We're rolling the dice drafting a QB, we're rolling a dice running with Heinicke. Roll the cheap dice and beef up the roster with some weapons. If Heinicke ain't "it" then we'll be very favourable landing spot for someone in 2022.

Having won the division, and given a sound account of ourselves in the playoffs, and with a clear goal to add a couple of pieces and push on, I don't see us cautiously addressing the QB position. They’re ain’t no ‘oh well we can always get one in 2022 approach’ coming IMO.

• Thanks 1

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

That’s reads to me like we’ll be doing business. I’m not seeing a competition between Heinicke and Allen as the answer.

that could be so.  I wouldn't blame them. 

If i had a core theory for weeks about QB spot this off season is that I disagee with those who think its not as hot a burner of an issue for Rivera as some of us fans think.  For me at least based on what Keim has strongly suggested and Rivera himself has hinted, it is a red hot issue.  That tweet confirms that not only is it red hot, its his number 1 concern.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also those tweets have been disputed.  they aren't live.  It's some dude who claims he said it from what i understand.  From what I've read about Taylor, he's a quiet and unassuming guy.  He doesn't strike me the type to be in someone's face on a political stance.  Who knows but at a minimum those tweets aren't verified as fact.  But agree even if it were the dude would survive them.  You have all sorts of political views out there, to each their own. 

I agree he's got a future as a back up in this league, just not in DC. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

that could be so.  I wouldn't blame them. 

If i had a core theory for weeks about QB spot this off season is that I disagee with those who think its not as hot a burner of an issue for Rivera as some of us fans think.  For me at least based on what Keim has strongly suggested and Rivera himself has hinted, it is a red hot issue.  That tweet confirms that not only is it red hot, its his number 1 concern.

For all we know, talks could have ‘informally’ taken place. A decision from/on Smiths future should be coming his week. Interesting times ahead.

• Like 1

I wonder if this is a delicate issue below.  I've been thinking for weeks that Alex will retire.  That comment below doesn't feel that way.  Alex at 25 million at the cap would be crippling if a veteran is on the table.  Alex is an amazing story but sorry he's not worth 25 million.  I am as sentimental as the next guy but my emotions can't be tugged at the expense of the team.  I know Alex might literally be Dan's BFF right now so it might be a delicate issue. I'd take Alex back only with a major pay cut. 

1 minute ago, MarkMissoula said:

I agree he's got a future as a back up in this league, just not in DC. 

Purely because of rumored political views?  Nick Bosa plays in arguably the most liberal area in the nation -- google his political views.  

• Like 3

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Having won the division, and given a sound account of ourselves in the playoffs, and with a clear goal to add a couple of pieces and push on, I don't see us cautiously addressing the QB position. They’re ain’t no ‘oh well we can always get one in 2022 approach’ coming IMO.

I get that, but in my opinion Kyle/Heinicke plus 2 stud WR and fixing ILB + CB is better than a new QB, scrub WRs + Terry and maybe fixing either ILB or CB.

QBs cost money (and for us this season probably draft picks and players)... is the productivity from ponying up to get the QB worth it if the guy is throwing to WR who can't catch a damn ball that hits them in the numbers and we have to give up assets in the process?

I just don't like that route.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wonder if this is a delicate issue below.  I've been thinking for weeks that Alex will retire.  That comment below doesn't feel that way.  Alex at 25 million at the cap would be crippling if a veteran is on the table.  Alex is an amazing story but sorry he's not worth 25 million.  I am as sentimental as the next guy but my emotions can't be tugged at the expense of the team.  I know Alex might literally be Dan's BFF right now so it might be a delicate issue. I'd take Alex back only with a major pay cut. 

Agreed.  I think when RR was talking about the QB situation being most important Alex has something to do with that in conversation with Snyder.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was typing something on Alex while you posted this.  But Alex might be a big part of the conversation. 

Yeah. I think Rivera has to make a decision on Smith, separate from what Smith wants to decide re his own future. Seems like we should move on. Then Smith can decide if he wants to progress a future elsewhere.

Alternative theory being we ask Smith to take a 50% salary cut. Instead of 19m, propose 8-12mil inclusive of incentives. Don’t know about that. He does have value. But at the right cost.

Or you push forward and move on from him. Felt like that happened yesterday to me, but time will tell.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I get that, but in my opinion Kyle/Heinicke plus 2 stud WR and fixing ILB + CB is better than a new QB, scrub WRs + Terry and maybe fixing either ILB or CB.

QBs cost money (and for us this season probably draft picks and players)... is the productivity from ponying up to get the QB worth it if the guy is throwing to WR who can't catch a damn ball that hits them in the numbers and we have to give up assets in the process?

I just don't like that route.

I don’t think getting a new QB prevents those other moves. Draft picks in early.mid rounds of 1,2,3,3,4,5 plus 40-60mil in cap space depending on various factors.

We’re in good shape. Too good of shape to go lame at QB.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Smith has to realize that as good as his story has been, this is still a business and he won't be here at his current salary. 

Agreed. Would you move on, or would you keep him around if his contract was re-worked?

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah. I think Rivera has to make a decision on Smith, separate from what Smith wants to decide re his own future. Seems like we should move on. Then Smith can decide if he wants to progress a future elsewhere.

Alternative theory being we ask Smith to take a 50% salary cut. Instead of 19m, propose 8-12mil inclusive of incentives. Don’t know about that. He does have value. But at the right cost.

Or you push forward and move on from him. Felt like that happened yesterday to me, but time will tell.

I loved how Alex played against the Lions and said so at the time.    Otherwise I thought he was OK nothing special. 

But after watching his decreased mobility and durability (especially durability), I think even 10 million is too rich for my blood.   I don't think he's the dude to take us to a SB.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Would you move on, or would you keep him around if his contract was re-worked?

I think we have to move on from Alex, regardless of whether he's willing to take a pay cut.

He's too competitive to accept being a backup, but he was only able to make it a few games before his repaired leg started giving him trouble.

It wouldn't surprise me if Rivera is going to talk to Dan ASAP to ensure that the organization is on the same page re Alex not being in the plans. I'm also guessing that if "the plan" was to draft a guy and start him next fall, then the meeting wouldn't be so urgent. If they intend to bring Allen and Heinicke back as "Plan A", with maybe a lower draft pick going to a QB, then they've got to get going on it.

Now the 16-year veteran faces an uncertain future — in Washington and possibly the NFL in general.

The final two years of Smith’s contract include non-guaranteed salaries of $18.75 million and $20.75 million, respectively. Should the team keep him on his contract as his, he would have a cap hit of $23.3 million next season. If it decides to cut him before June 1, it would have $8.6 million count against its salary cap because of Smith’s prorated signing bonus, but it would ultimately clear up $14.7 million in cap space.

Another option: If the team wants to keep him but on a lower cap charge, it could ask Smith to take salary reduction to stay.

“Again, I’m going to get away and with a clear head sit down and go over everything and make the best decision,” Smith said. “But I can’t say how much I loved the opportunity to be here a part of this team to get back out there and obviously play this amazing game.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/10/alex-smith-future-washington-football-quarterback/?utm_campaign=wp_sports&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Another option: If the team wants to keep him but on a lower cap charge, it could ask Smith to take salary reduction to stay

Ive just said that :rofl89:

8 minutes ago, profusion said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Rivera is going to talk to Dan ASAP to ensure that the organization is on the same page re Alex not being in the plans. I'm also guessing that if "the plan" was to draft a guy and start him next fall, then the meeting wouldn't be so urgent. If they intend to bring Allen and Heinicke back as "Plan A", with maybe a lower draft pick going to a QB, then they've got to get going on it.

I was just going to post something similar. As you say, this could well be Ron telling Dan just that, he is moving on from Smith. It’s then a bit more unclear, get free agent, draft.....

• Like 1

Alex Smith is done and he needs to realize that.  It was great, he was able to come back and play some games.   His body told him, he no longer can stand the rigors of playing in the NFL. That's why he barely played the last few games.  His calf can't take it.   Retire willingly and don't have it forced upon you.

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I was just going to post something similar. As you say, this could well be Ron telling Dan just that, he is moving on from Smith. It’s then a bit more unclear, get free agent, draft.....

I don't have Ron's phone number, so I don't know what he's thinking. :D

That said, the performance of both Allen and Heinicke shows me that signing or trading for an available vet would just be gobbling up cap space without a clear benefit above bringing those guys back.

The draft is where it gets unclear for me. At number 19, I don't think it makes sense to draft a QB. The "best player available" will be elsewhere, and the available QBs will all have significant downsides or be development guys. It might make more sense in the second or third round if there's a guy available that they really like and aren't reaching for. I might even lower that to third or fourth round, as the second rounder probably also needs to be an immediate contributor next season.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 2