Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Just now, mhd24 said:

Yeah, but to be fair, he was just signed.  An off-season with a legit NFL weight program will give up some muscle, but he's still slight.  He reminds me of a smaller Tony Romo or even Jeff Garcia.

Yeah I see Tony Romo type of game

his small frame worries me though

On 1/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, jsharrin55 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

This number is different (47 mill...), however it gives the calculation-

Cap Space = (Team Salary Cap) - (Active Cap Spending) - (Dead Money)

Team Salary Cap = (Base Salary Cap) + (Carryover) +/- (Adjustments)

This would make me believe the 40 million listed includes the carryover. 

edit: Over the Cap is using 1 mill higher cap (176 mill) and has 5 million less in active spending.  That 5 mill difference might be Roullier related (but I can't tell).

https://overthecap.com/player/chase-roullier/5785/

They have Chase R as a 4.5 million hit.  So I think that is probably the difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Nah, he deserves an honest shot at QB1. If he gets beat out he gets beat out, but those two games were both amazing.

I’d 100% want him with us competing for it, but handing it to a guy off 1 and a bit games is perhaps not the best idea!

Agree though he was genuinely brilliant we HAVE to keep him with us it’s a must

2 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Heinicke is a free agent.  You don't let this guy hit the market.  This may been one of the best post postseason performances in a very long time.   This team rallies around him.  Chase loves him.  Here's hoping they can keep him

We don’t need to give up a fortune for Dax or Watson, we have a QB already here.

• Like 5

You can’t hand the job to him. But there is competition. Allen is here and will want to pick up where he left off.

We can sign a mid range vet or draft a rookie. When they compete we will, believe it or not, be much better at the QB position. 

I assume Smith retires.

By doing it this way we will have the cap dollars to go and get a receiver. And a linebacker. And re-sign the guys we need to.

We can draft a corner, LB, receiver or a bellcow back. Or a tackle. Or whatever. No need to force anything. 

If Trey Lance falls in our laps, take him. If not, feel comfortable with the room.

• Like 8

Just now, KDawg said:

You can’t hand the job to him. But there is competition. Allen is here and will want to pick up where he left off.

We can sign a mid range vet or draft a rookie. When they compete we will, believe it or not, be much better at the QB position. 

I assume Smith retires.

By doing it this way we will have the cap dollars to go and get a receiver. And a linebacker. And re-sign the guys we need to.

We can draft a corner, LB, receiver or a bellcow back. Or a tackle. Or whatever. No need to force anything. 

If Trey Lance falls in our laps, take him. If not, feel comfortable with the room.

Yeah, at least it buys us time.  LB is arguably the #1 need on this team. Bostic is a major negative on run and the pass (he's a solid blitzer and can run).  Collins would be GREAT, but I fear he'll be long gone.  

Najee might be worth it if he's there.  JD is a great receiving back, but he's HORRIBLE at pass blocking.  Tampa knew this and routinely attacked him.  He's willing, but is too slight.  RB is a major need.  You can get skill guys in the 2nd and 3rd round.  Trading back (if Collins is gone) is arguably a good strategy.

Really small sample size of Kyle and Taylor, I van see arguement for wanting to run with them, two guys that are young and play hungry.

I'm not buying it jus to save a buck.  I really hope we get a preseason, but we should still add a vet to be on safe side.

21 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

I’ve never been so happy/positive after a loss...

I put a lot of this loss on Turner.  And really every loss.  We’ve been last in the league in offense all season.

BUT...he’s close.  We got huge production from Thomas and McK with 4  backup QBs.  And that’s not an accident.

Trade for Stafford and dial up the good times.

• Like 1

Because he is so prone to injury, I think that eliminates Heinicke as a starter but you totally bring him back if you can, along with Kyle Allen on his ERFA tag. I still think you make a play to add Stafford or add someone like a Newman to the mix but, either way, you'll end up with one of the best QB rooms in the league. I've gotta give it to Scott because he was the guy that found and had faith in both Heinicke and Allen.

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Trade for Stafford and dial up the good times.

What about Philip Rivers? He said he has a standing offer to teach his old high school football team if he decides to retire. But instead, what if he comes here instead for a year for $25 mil?

I think you absolutely sign TH and draft a QB in the 2nd round.  I actually feel pretty confident that if he can maintain just half of what hes done in his 2 games this season, an improved OLine and actual WR's will do wonders for our offense.  That TB defense is good, he showed he can compete for at least a couple of games, and that gives you time to groom a young draftpick.

2 minutes ago, JCB said:

Yup, Heinicke, Allen, and a pick. Let ‘em toss in camp.

Honestly I'm wondering if we can trade Allen, and go with Heinicke and a pick. They've battled so much in Carolina that I wonder if they're friends or enemies or in between. And both are injury risks. I like Heinicke and his guts more but I'd trade the one who had more value. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zskins said:

What about Philip Rivers? He said he has a standing offer to teach his old high school football team if he decides to retire. But instead, what if he comes here instead for a year for $25 mil?

His fire would fit the culture... no doubt about that. But when does he hit the wall?

Heinicke and Allen have similar playing traits. Get them both back.

Those playing styles show what type of QB we are likely to bring in.

I think Smith retires soon, his lack of mobility is too restrictive.

I would love us to get Lance, need to look at the mid round options too.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

Maybe the sample size is too small to say he has a durability issue. 

I think he was knocked out of the one game he started in Carolina. And he was almost knocked out of this one.

But, damn! He’s talented enough to start. Manages pressure well. Knows exactly where to go with the ball. Can get it downfield. His wheels are obviously great. 

Look how much better the Scott Turner offense looked last night