Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Tyrod and Mariota if Gruden makes him available are the targets IMO. 

Right now I wouldn't want either of these guys. I'd be looking for sleeper late round guys like Mond or Book. Potential and athleticism but not ready yet and may never be anything or may be steals. By the time we have decisions on Allen and Heinicke we will be ready to either have this guy as a backup or give a try as a starter or start over 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Right now I wouldn't want either of these guys. I'd be looking for sleeper late round guys like Mond or Book. Potential and athleticism but not ready yet and may never be anything or may be steals. By the time we have decisions on Allen and Heinicke we will be ready to either have this guy as a backup or give a try as a starter or start over 

Would be open to that, too. Interestingly, they each represent different types of risk and risk-mitigation. Mariota/Tyrod is veteran insurance for 2021 if Heinicke/Allen don't work out, but then it's riskier in that you still don't have a long-term answer. A rookie is riskier for 2021, but potentially they could be a long-term answer w/ the right development. 

• Like 1

How bout this, sign Cam as our Taysom Hill wildcat guy...Heinicke is the Drew Brees with Cam getting 6-10 snaps a game including goal line work. If Heinike gets hurt you have Cam and a rookie or Montez in relief. I could really see this working if Cam would buy in.

Cam becomes a runner first which he is now anyway. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

How bout this, sign Cam as our Taysom Hill wildcat guy...Heinicke is the Drew Brees with Cam getting 6-10 snaps a game including goal line work. If Heinike gets hurt you have Cam and a rookie or Montez in relief. I could really see this working if Cam would buy in.

Cam becomes a runner first which he is now anyway. 

How about no to Cam. He could have had for cheap but Ron passed on him. Think Ron knows more about Cam then we do. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Kurt Warner was working at a grocery store when he got picked up by the Rams. The best show on turf happened as a result. Just sayin

**** normal and **** narrative. Go with who runs your offense at a high level. And here's a hint. It won't be a damn rookie. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Roll with Heinicke and Allen if there is a qb in the draft that this regime thinks can do well for us within two years get him if not we can roll with the Allen and Heinicke

Man above you listed the QBs for our team.  Check out the names.  :)

This entire year, I never felt like this offense was in any way open. I liked Alex's ability to calm the huddle and do all the things Ron and the players talked about. But this guy Taylor has the it factor. He hits receivers on the run, sits in the pocket and manuevers it like Rogers. Yea I said it. The offense moves with him in the game. Del Rio said it best. He said all players in the league are good. It's about opportunity. The narrative on Taylor is durability. But you've got to be blind to say this was just a flash. I know a baller when I see one. If Taylor was the backup from the start of the season, this fan base would be much more bullish. We'll go looking for a FA from some other team to come in here and become a champion. even though they weren't able to on their other team. Pay them a boat load of money and run them out of town when they don't meet expectation. **** that.

Edited by joeken24
  • Like 2

TB was a top defense. They played the run in an effort to make Taylor win with the pass.  Taylor showed the ability to throw multiple times with success. That bodes well for next year if Taylor gets the knod. An upgraded WR core, a healthy RB and probably additional help on the Oline and TE. I'm feeling good about the offense next year. TB was stacked. **** that game.

• Like 1

Let me just qualify my Heinicke love by saying if you have an opportunity to get Trey Lance without paying an exorbitant price, I think you definitely 100% take it. Lance has all the physical traits that Heinicke doesn't. But I wouldn't give up some massive bounty to move up to 5 for him. If he makes it nearly out of the top 10, or out of the top 10, then I think you gotta go for it. Otherwise just go BPA. And either way Heinicke would be my Week 1 starter.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 1

Mocks are mocks especially this early.  In this one, Lawrence, Fields, Z. Wilson, Lance go 1,2,3,4.  I doubt it happens like that but I agree that Lance is likely going top 10, probably top 7.

Pitts lasts to 15.  If Pitts really drops like that, I'd try to trade up for him.  I know we are talking here about trading up for QBs but IMO he's a special level weapon for the next QB whomever that is.

I am guessing the Bears will be QB shopping too.  Foles hasn't worked out for them either. 

Kyle Allen and Heinicke is better than any other fantasy free agent signing that's been bandied about on social media.  Heinicke's play in the wild card game alone shows you that we don't have to be flashy to have a quarterback who looks good.  

• Like 2

Rivera and Smith were vague about the future during their season-ending video conference calls Sunday. Rivera said he is going to talk to the team’s owner, Daniel Snyder, about his “intent going forward” — an implicit suggestion that he will ask Snyder (who is fond of Smith) for permission to find another quarterback. Likewise, Smith said he wants to take “a few weeks” to decide if he wants to keep playing, adding that he wants to get “input” from his wife and children, who had to endure medical trauma from a serious infection in his leg, his more than one-year recovery and the fear that comes with watching him get hit again and again on the field after his return.

The whole thing is made messier by the fact there is clearly a part of Rivera that does not want to let go of Smith, and a part of Smith that doesn’t want to let go of the game. Smith’s return this fall seemed to surprise them both, with neither sure Smith’s gutted and rebuilt right leg would hold up when hit in a game. Then, when it did and Smith brought calm and eventually winning to a team seemingly headed nowhere, they rode the good times together, rarely speaking, at least publicly, about tomorrow.

But that tomorrow has arrived, and like many things around this franchise over the past 20 years, the whole situation is a convoluted quandary. Rivera is looking to start over at quarterback without the best team leader he might ever have, and Smith, after pushing himself to make an impossible return come true, is tepidly confronting his athletic mortality just days after coming back to lead a team from 2-7 to a division title.

More than once in recent days, Smith has talked about the joy of this season and the rush that comes from fighting through games, trying to find ways to win and making the players around him better. “You certainly cannot find it anywhere else,” Smith said last week when asked about this thrill, adding, “You can’t duplicate it.”

“Shoot, I can’t imagine him not trying to play football next year — just the type of person that he is,” said tight end Logan Thomas, who has become friends with Smith. “He loves the game.”

Who knows what lies in the plan Rivera will present Snyder. Maybe he knows exactly whom he wants to bring in to jump-start the winning. Perhaps he wants to acquire Cam Newton, who led him to three NFC South titles and a Super Bowl appearance with Carolina; or trade for someone such as Detroit’s Matthew Stafford; or sign a journeyman starter good enough to muddle through the next couple of years while figuring out a long-term solution.

Whatever that plan is, it doesn’t seem to involve a quarterback on the current roster, including Smith, whose departure would take $13.6 million off the coming year’s salary cap but leave a vacuum that few quarterbacks can fill. It’s not an easy decision. But after an agonizing year during which an old quarterback given up for done saved Ron Rivera’s first season with Washington, Rivera seems to sense he has to look for a new quarterback now.

And the really hard work is about to begin.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

Of the names mentioned in that article, only Watson and Stafford move the needle for me. No way in hell Watson is going to be available (or at least without trading too many draft picks), and Stafford is on the downhill slide and will want $$$$$. The others don't bring much more upside than we already have. Wentz? Are memories of Week 1 really that distant? Trubisky? Are memories of yesterday afternoon really that distant? Tyrod Taylor? He brings nothing that Allen and Heinicke don't.

Edited by profusion
typo
  • Like 1

Smith is a hero and should be commended but its time to move on. Even when 100% healthy he was a bottom 5 ish QB. Yes I know our W/L record with him is crazy high but its still kinda fluky and unsustainable if this team wants to take that next step and become contenders.

And yeah the only big FA/trade targets that would really get me excited are Watson and Stafford. Anyone else and I'd rather just roll with Allen/Heinecke and/or maybe draft someone to develop and compete behind them.

• Like 4

I cannot believe that anyone would want Cam Newton here!  Ron has already rejected him!  The guy played like complete **** at NE with BB who can gets all he can out of people. Why in the world would you want a highly flawed, on the other side of his career QB that could not keep his starting job last year on a team with really no other option?? ANd he was never a good passer to begin with and that's what we need. Mobility is a plus but you have to be able to make throws, something Cam has never been great at. I have not looked after this year - but something like a 62% completion rate lifetime?  

C'mon people, you will never get the Cam of 6 yrs ago. He is done, finished! Washed up and should not be brought in here even for a look unless it's to get water for people. And no he is NOT better than anything we have already. Not at this point in his career. Not saying we have the answer in house - I do not think we do. But he is not getting any closer. 

Everyone, all together now:

image.png.2b3ebc40f932cc04ffb32013df520f24.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Listening to Heinicke's ex-college coach on 980, he said that Scott Turner told Heinicke at the end of the game that he wants him back.  But Heinicke's old coach also said his agent wants to keep an open mind because he can hit the open market since he's an UFA.   Heinicke though loves Ron.   The Old Dominion coach said just in general players love playing for Ron.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Heinicke's ex-college coach on 980, he said that Scott Turner told Heinicke at the end of the game that he wants him back.  But Heinicke's old coach also said his agent wants to keep an open mind because he can hit the open market since he's an UFA.   Heinicke though loves Ron.   The Old Dominion coach said just in general players love playing for Ron.

I bet a bidding war opens up, and for a guy who was studying for college finals and hadn't started a game in years could be making starter money...unbelievable. Just shows you how ridiculous the QB position has gotten.  

Edited by heyholetsgogrant