Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Watching the game again I can see why so many got excited at the play of Heinicke.  He does not have a strong arm but he delivers a pretty ball that looks easy to catch. How bad does Dwayne look now when a guy off the streets runs the offense this well?  They were calling, and executing, patterns in the 12-20 yard distances, patterns I have literally been screaming for 4 years to run more often. So done with the constant dump offs we saw from all 3 of the other QBs.  

But it's foolish to believe this is our Kurt Warner. I mean that does not happen more than once in a lifetime.  But he surely earned a shot to compete for the starting position, maybe he can turn into our Tony Romo.  He's tiny little thing but like Flutie it may help him escape the pocket. Who knows with this guy but for the first time I may be in support of signing a middling QB who has proven he is not the answer in so many stops like a Tyrod Taylor.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Trey Lance dropping to the second or third is about as likely as me winning the lottery. And not a scratch off. The national big money one. 

And I don’t even buy lottery tickets.

Shows how much research Iv done 🤣

Surely he’s there at 19?! He hasn’t played all season, not sure I’d want him at that spot though would rather MLB or WR

Edited by DefinitelyMaybe

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Shows how much research Iv done 🤣

Surely he’s there at 19?! He hasn’t played all season, not sure I’d want him at that spot though would rather MLB or WR

I'd put the chances of him being there at 19 at about 10%. With the success of Josh Allen, and his similarities as a prospect, a QB needy team is going to jump on him. I think he honestly could be drafted anywhere in the 5-19 range.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I'd put the chances of him being there at 19 at about 10%. With the success of Josh Allen, and his similarities as a prospect, a QB needy team is going to jump on him. I think he honestly could be drafted anywhere in the 5-19 range.

Nice one, would you consider him if he’s there at 19? I think he’s going to divide opinion 

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Nice one, would you consider him if he’s there at 19? I think he’s going to divide opinion 

Yes. He'd be high on my consideration list.

It depends what's there. But the only guys I clearcut would take over him are: Najee Harris, DeVanta Smith, JaMar Chase, Penei Sewell, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Micah Parsons.

I'd have to do a lot of thinking if Pitts or Waddle were on the board. Same goes for Zaven Collins.

I'd PERSONALLY take him over Wilson. But I think Wilson is the better overall prospect simply because I think he's safer. I think Lance has the highest upside of any prospect in the first round conversation. But he has one of the lowest floors as well. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd have to do a lot of thinking if Pitts or Waddle were on the board. Same goes for Zaven Collins.

Going off on a tangent but what the hell. What position does Collins project to? He's like 260 and looks like a 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE hybrid to me more than an off the ball LBer?

Just now, MartinC said:

Going off on a tangent but what the hell. What position does Collins project to? He's like 260 and looks like a 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE hybrid to me more than an off the ball LBer?

He is pretty damn good in coverage considering his size. He'd be a perfect MIKE type for us, even if it's Holcomb as his interior partner. With us in our 4-2 our backers have to be able to do a little of everything. Holcomb does it all EXCEPT play downhill. 

Collins is capable of all of it. As is Parsons. But Parsons will likely be long gone and Collins may be there. 

With him as a box backer our coverage and run defense automatically improves. It helps he can come off the edge a bit, too, if we get creative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hypothetical given the $$ we have for free agency.

Re-Sign: Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinecke, Brandon Scherff, Ronald Darby

Sign: Allen Robinson, Lavonte David

Pick #19 rolls around. QB Trey Lance, WR Jaylen Waddle, RB Najee Harris, LB Zaven Collins, OT Rashawn Slater are all available.

Who are you taking @KDawg?

For me, it's a slam-dunk Trey Lance. QB value is just too valuable, and I think there's a good chance we go into the draft having "solved" any perceived glaring issues at WR and LB. Obviously BPA is important, but I would have confidence that we could find impact guys in Rounds 2-4 at those positions to add depth and upside. It would be really hard for me to roll into the season with Heinecke/Allen and someone from Round 4 if Lance is there at #19. Even with the low floor, he's someone you gotta get into the building "for the future" ... and I am talking 2022 and beyond because you aren't going to ask him to come in and play in 2021 with his lack of experience and age.

I am also starting to have the mindset that you have to draft a QB every year until you find the right guy. Doesn't have to be 1st rounders. But if we drafted Lance at #19 this year, I would go get another QB in R3 or R4 next year. Same for the year after, until you "Get" your guy. That hasn't always been my mindset. But I have seen this front office get enough "solid contributors" in the mid and later rounds to make me feel more comfortable about throwing more picks at QB until we get the right guy in here.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

I just had the realization that Trey Lance is the same class as Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and Zach Wilson.

So age isn't so much the concern for me as much as lack of experience. I really wish Lance had had a chance to play this year, would have been cool to see him go up against Oregon in the season opener. You just have substantially less tape and lesser opponents to compare him to. But that's probably why he slips out of the Top 10 while the other three are entrenched in the Top 5 or 8 picks.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Hypothetical given the $$ we have for free agency.

Re-Sign: Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinecke, Brandon Scherff, Ronald Darby

Sign: Allen Robinson, Lavonte David

Pick #19 rolls around. QB Trey Lance, WR Jaylen Waddle, RB Najee Harris, LB Zaven Collins, OT Rashawn Slater are all available.

Who are you taking @KDawg?

For me, it's a slam-dunk Trey Lance. QB value is just too valuable, and I think there's a good chance we go into the draft having "solved" any perceived glaring issues at WR and LB. Obviously BPA is important, but I would have confidence that we could find impact guys in Rounds 2-4 at those positions to add depth and upside. It would be really hard for me to roll into the season with Heinecke/Allen and someone from Round 4 if Lance is there at #19. Even with the low floor, he's someone you gotta get into the building "for the future" ... and I am talking 2022 and beyond because you aren't going to ask him to come in and play in 2021 with his lack of experience and age.

I take It's between Lance and Harris. I don't think it's going to be a problem for us, though, as both won't be there in my opinion. I love Lance... but I LOVE Najee. And I think Heinicke + Harris can do better than win games. 

But the context matters here. If we do nothing at QB or RB or WR my opinion changes.

In a vacuum I think I take Lance in this scenario. But it's open ended. There's no period at the end of that sentence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@KDawg I appreciate the value of a good RB. But I just can't justify spending a R1 pick on a player when it's not a glaring need ... and the existing need could easily be filled by a later pick. If we had a franchise QB, then I would certainly be more open to the idea. I just can't get past the positional value.

I think RB is a more than glaring need. Gibson is not an every down back. His body can't handle that load. If we want to maximize him as a playmaker we have to offset him with an every down back.

Now, there are guys in later rounds I'd be more than happy with. So, I still buy the argument that a RB may not be worth it in round 1.

I just don't view Najee as a typical back. He is special. He is one of the most talented, patient backs that can literally do everything that I have ever watched play in college. His patience and the way he sets up blocks is scary good. And his balance... Unreal. Najee isn't just another back. He, in my opinion, is a TOTAL game changer on offense.

Partner him with Gibson and McKissick and we take care of PART of the receiver problem, ease the burden on a QB (whoever it may be) and preserve our defense by controlling the T.O.P.

I think we can do that with a guy like Javante Williams, too. Or even a Jaret Patterson type. But they are not Najee.

Having said that, I'd have to very strongly think about pulling the trigger on him over a guy like Lance. In the end I think the quarterback may win out in my view. But I'd feel dirty doing it. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Najee isn't going to last till 19.  His floor is 18 to Miami (who NEEDS an RB).  If we want Najee, we'll have to trade up (something that I'd consider honestly).

He’s a STUD, Gibson, McKissic and Najee would be wild

A QB solution, a couple of FA WR’s and this offence will be cooking

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I just had the realization that Trey Lance is the same class as Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and Zach Wilson.

And all of them will be off the board by the time we pick at 19.  

im happy for the playoff appearance, but man this would have been a good year to be bad.  

1 minute ago, Destino said:

im happy for the playoff appearance, but man this would have been a good year to be bad.  

You're probably right. But there are a lot of pieces to move around the table on the QB front this off-season even before the draft. There are so many different directions teams can go. But to me, 3 QBs are locked into the Top 7. The real question becomes what do San Francisco and New England do? Their rosters, in theory, are built to win now. Does Bill really want to re-set by going for Trey Lance when he likely needs 1-2 years to sit? Same with San Francisco.

IMO, Lance needs to go to a team that is willing to sit him in 2021 and maybe even 2022. Maybe San Fran and NE go veteran QB and are threats to draft Lance. But my guess is Detroit or Atlanta for Lance, and if those two teams pass on him, he could free-fall a bit.

Think we'll have a better sense when the draft rolls around of who is gonna go QB.

59 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@KDawg I appreciate the value of a good RB. But I just can't justify spending a R1 pick on a player when it's not a glaring need ... and the existing need could easily be filled by a later pick. If we had a franchise QB, then I would certainly be more open to the idea. I just can't get past the positional value.

It may not be a glaring need but Harris would be an upgrade for sure. We would have our Zeke Elliott and then decide what to do with Gibson, who likely becomes a swiss army knife player. 

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

It's just one mock draft, but the most recent PFF mock draft has:

1. Jax - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. Doplphins - Fields

8. Panthers - Mac Jones

9. Denver - Lance

In this scenario he has the Dolphins trading Tua to San Francisco for #12. Obviously that opens up that 3rd pick for a QB that likely wouldn't be otherwise (unless someone traded up).

5 QBs in the Top 10 is insane. Can't see that happening. And of course, that would leave us high and dry and 10 picks away from the QB5 off the board.

27 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. Jax - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. Doplphins - Fields

8. Panthers - Mac Jones

9. Denver - Lance

In this scenario he has the Dolphins trading Tua to San Francisco for #12. Obviously that opens up that 3rd pick for a QB that likely wouldn't be otherwise (unless someone traded up).

5 QBs in the Top 10 is insane. Can't see that happening. And of course, that would leave us high and dry and 10 picks away from the QB5 off the board.

Don't see Fins trading Tua. That would be dumb. 

The mock on Tankathon is as follows: 

Player Rankings updated about 13 hours ago | Draft Order updated after every game
Team needs are factored into the mock.
6'6"
220 lbs
6'3"
210 lbs
6'1"
175 lbs
6'6"
325 lbs
6'1"
200 lbs
6'6"
251 lbs
6'4"
272 lbs
6'2"
214 lbs
6'6"
239 lbs
6'4"
313 lbs
Edited by zskins
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. Jax - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. Doplphins - Fields

8. Panthers - Mac Jones

9. Denver - Lance

IMHO, there is going to be a lot of veteran QB's moving via FA and/or trade this offseason.  That should shake up the order and number of QB's taken in the first.

23 minutes ago, zskins said:

Don't see Fins trading Tua. That would be dumb. 

The mock on Tankathon is as follows: 

Player Rankings updated about 13 hours ago | Draft Order updated after every game
Team needs are factored into the mock.
6'6"
220 lbs
6'3"
210 lbs
6'1"
175 lbs
6'6"
325 lbs
6'1"
200 lbs
6'6"
251 lbs
6'4"
272 lbs
6'2"
214 lbs
6'6"
239 lbs
6'4"
313 lbs

If it was playing out like that I’d probably go with Harris (top RB and possibly BPA) or Waddle (great blend of BPA and need). But I’d also be working a trade cup because Pitts is ridiculous and would be worth jumping into top 15.