Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah to me this isn't Jay's teams before the fall where we were jazzed about maybe reaching 9-7 and then hey anything could happen in the playoffs.

Heck even WFT hater, Skip Bayless said WFT has a SB defense.   We need IMO a good offense.  I think we can go all the way with one. 

It's hard for me to get excited about roll of the dice reclamation projects like Sam Darnold.   I'd much rather have a guy that isn't a big roll of the dice.  I get we aren't getting Aaron Rodgers.  But i think the difference between landing an 8-12 type QB versus a 20-32 type QB is a SB versus no SB. 

I know some love throwing out the outliers like Denver winning with a waning Peyton Manning.   But i am not one that likes to bet on outliers.  

Exactly where I am. You have to pay for quality

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, zskins said:

Since week 6, except for the Lions game, our D has not given up more than 20 points. Chase is coming for Brady. He is going to make Brady very uncomfortable in the pocket and make him make mistakes. Brady, even in his prime, lost two SB to the Giants because of their defense. Brady had pretty good players around him in those two loses as well. 

Brady thinks he will play in the SB at home. WFT needs to make sure that doesn't happen. :)

I am sure Ron will make sure we are solid at the QB position next year. This will be a fun off-season for all of us. Hopefully. 

• Like 2

I really think we can beat them.  The Giants kicked the piss out of them for basically four quarters. Brady was rattled. 

I am concerned with Gronk vs. our LBs. I know he hasn’t set the world on fire but he could against our guys. Jones/Fournette are going to be the other major key. Stop them and do something... anything... offensively... 

• Thanks 2

Dude Darnold is absolute trash. Basically the only QB that’s been worse than him the past few years was Haskins. HARD pass. I’d toss them a 6th at best and obviously they wouldn’t bite aka the hard pass. It blows my mind we just got burned by Haskins and people would even consider another huge first round bust, one that is definitely a bigger bust than Haskins given he was considered a much better prospect and drafted much higher. 

If Smith retires I’m all for signing a vet FA but I do NOT want to trade away Draft capital (see draft results this year and impact of having a high percentage of rookie contracts for your cap) for someone AND pay salary in a lower cap year. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I really think we can beat them.  The Giants kicked the piss out of them for basically four quarters. Brady was rattled. 

I am concerned with Gronk vs. our LBs. I know he hasn’t set the world on fire but he could against our guys. Jones/Fournette are going to be the other major key. Stop them and do something... anything... offensively... 

Still can’t believe we couldn’t hit McLaurin on even a single slant with a chance to make a move and leave. Everything he got was underneath and coming back to the ball. If smith can only throw 8 yards then you HAVE to be getting McLaurin and even Cam Sims on some shorter routes like crossers and slants that they can make a guy miss or outrun them and make a big play. 

12 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I was actually suggesting our 2021 1st, a DT and a 2022 2nd....The DT would likely have to be Allen or Payne for Miami to do it. 

I wasn't including the 2021 swapped 1st. I think to move up from 19 to 3 would required the 2021 1st swap, our 2022 1st, and probably our 2021 2nd and more. That's a huge trade up.

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Speaking of LBs i was listening to a Tampa beat guy who was asked who is the best player on defense?  He goes Lavonte David.  And he said watch David clamp down on these short passes to McKissic.  He goes on that Davis is a really good sideline to sideline LB.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking of LBs i was listening to a Tampa beat guy who was asked who is the best player on defense?  He goes Lavonte David.  And he said watch David clamp down on these short passes to McKissic.  He goes on that Davis is a really good sideline to sideline LB.

Davis is the ideal backer and he would be my primary FA target... if I’m Tampa I’m not letting him go. But if we get David and draft a guy (I think ILB is going to be strong in the middle rounds) and have Holcomb still to develop and Hudson to develop I go from despising our backers to loving them. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Davis is the ideal backer and he would be my primary FA target... if I’m Tampa I’m not letting him go. But if we get David and draft a guy (I think ILB is going to be strong in the middle rounds) and have Holcomb still to develop and Hudson to develop I go from despising our backers to loving them. 

Lavonte David feels like London Fletcher round 2.  He's a big time leader from what I've read, too.  If Tampa lets him hit FA, I'd bet he's target #1. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think this is where the two back sets (and Logan Thomas) could factor in big for us.  Make David chase McKissick away from the play.  

I’d also play Wright more than Cam if Smith can’t get the ball down the field - Wright looks much smoother and more shifty in the screen game.  

Very intrigued with the idea of Heinicke and Smith rotating...

The very fact that Rivera is considering playing Heinicke at all indicates to me there's a good chance that Smith doesn't make the start on Saturday. Ron doesn't know yet and is giving himself options.

Does it have implications for next year? Absolutely. If Smith can't be counted to play more than a few games in a row without his leg acting up, then the WFT either cuts him with a big cap hit or has an extremely high-paid backup. One quarter of work doesn't give a lot for those of us outside the practice field to say what to do with Heinicke, but a solid game of work would at least put him in camp next year (assuming there's a camp...).

20 minutes ago, profusion said:

The very fact that Rivera is considering playing Heinicke at all indicates to me there's a good chance that Smith doesn't make the start on Saturday. Ron doesn't know yet and is giving himself options.

Does it have implications for next year? Absolutely. If Smith can't be counted to play more than a few games in a row without his leg acting up, then the WFT either cuts him with a big cap hit or has an extremely high-paid backup. One quarter of work doesn't give a lot for those of us outside the practice field to say what to do with Heinicke, but a solid game of work would at least put him in camp next year (assuming there's a camp...).

I really think the recent comments by Ron (saying we could also be here with Kyle Allen, and saying that he considered benching Smith for Heinicke, now saying that they may rotate) shows that Ron thinks highly of both these QBs. One is 24. The other is 27 and both have looked respectful in their time in the league. I think we are going to probably stay pretty quiet with the QB position in FA. We may go after somebody but likely be outbid and then we may draft a potential guy but I can't see us putting a lot of stock into anybody new (i.e. Stafford or Ryan or guys who are going to be expensive). 

28 minutes ago, redskin301 said:

I think we should be all in on Stafford if he’s a available. Stafford with this defense 

would probably win the east for 4+ years 

Listened to the McAfee show this morning and they swear Stafford is going to Indianapolis.  Be nice to see him here at the right cost.....maybe even a 1st this year and a second next year.

8 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Listened to the McAfee show this morning and they swear Stafford is going to Indianapolis.  Be nice to see him here at the right cost.....maybe even a 1st this year and a second next year.

That would piss me off.  Manning - Luck - Rivers - Stafford.  We can’t even get one competent QB for a few seasons. 😕

We should give Rivers a look next season if he doesn’t retire. It would be a cheaper option than Stafford or Ryan.

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

21 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I really think the recent comments by Ron (saying we could also be here with Kyle Allen, and saying that he considered benching Smith for Heinicke, now saying that they may rotate) shows that Ron thinks highly of both these QBs. One is 24. The other is 27 and both have looked respectful in their time in the league. I think we are going to probably stay pretty quiet with the QB position in FA. We may go after somebody but likely be outbid and then we may draft a potential guy but I can't see us putting a lot of stock into anybody new (i.e. Stafford or Ryan or guys who are going to be expensive). 

I get the impression listening to people like Keim and one of Ron's interviews on the subject is they will be aggressive in the off season at QB.  I didn't get the vibe even a little that they feel chill about the spot.  Rivera indeed said Kyle can play as good as Alex but i am not so sure that they see Alex's abilities at QB as the be all and end all.   Rivera also gave Allen a lukewarm comment about he has had "limited" success in the league.

Having said that, for all we know the FA/trade market could end up ho hum.  So like their aggressive move to get a top WR in the last off season -- they let it go after that pursuit because they weren't excited about anyone else.  I can see something like that happening this time.  But I strongly suspect they don't think Allen is a franchise QB where they are just looking for a backup for him.  I think they feel that can ride with Allen if they must.  But I don't get the vibe listening to Keim that Allen is Plan A.   Keim wasn't specific about anything but has said multiple times he believes QB is big in their off season push. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I’d cut Alex Smith to save a ton of $ 

After the Falcons draft Justin Fields i’d see if I could trade for QB Matt Ryan & sign WR Allen Robinson in free agency.  Wouldn’t go crazy in free agency.  Hopefully a trade for Matt Ryan doesn’t mean giving up entirely too much draft capital.  Look to upgrade OL, LB, CB, FS in draft.  Keep building through the draft for young talent to fill needs.  Going to FA is very risky.  Always smart to only use free agency to bring in guys that fit the culture & schemes.  

4 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’d cut Alex Smith to save a ton of $ 

After the Falcons draft Justin Fields i’d see if I could trade for QB Matt Ryan & sign WR Allen Robinson in free agency.  Wouldn’t go crazy in free agency.  Hopefully a trade for Matt Ryan doesn’t mean giving up entirely too much draft capital.  Look to upgrade OL, LB, CB, FS in draft.  Keep building through the draft for young talent to fill needs.  Going to FA is very risky.  Always smart to only use free agency to bring in guys that fit the culture & schemes.  

Ryan's cap number is prohibitive for Atlanta to trade him.