Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

30 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

so we trade up?

Yep a lot of these mock draft sites have wrong info.  I'd take Mac at #19 though.  Rather have him in the 2nd but think he'll be gone.  We need to take the best LOT with our 2nd rounder. :)

1 hour ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Pick up a vet, then draft Kyle Trask in the third round and let him sit a year. 

No thanks. Trask looked like absolute crap without his great receivers/TE recently. IMO his ceiling in the NFL is a JAG/backup. I might take a flyer on him in the 6th or so as a potential backup. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Heyyyy

Since Moses is a pretty solid RT and he's a leftie, would you trade your second rounder for Tua?

Tua is super talented but he's basically the Jordan Reed of QBs. The guy has been consistently injured over and over since college and can't stay healthy for extended periods of time. He's brittle.

How bout we trade our 1st, one of our DT's and a 2022 2nd to move up to #3 in a trade with Miami....Would that be high enough to get the stud QB everyone seems to want? We have so many interior linemen that we could consider using one of them as trade bait. 

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

How bout we trade our 1st, one of our DT's and a 2022 2nd to move up to #3 in a trade with Miami....Would that be high enough to get the stud QB everyone seems to want? We have so many interior linemen that we could consider using one of them as trade bait. 

From 19 (Could be even lower)??? Doubt Miami would do it. Especially if they're not 100% sold on Tua.

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yep a lot of these mock draft sites have wrong info.  I'd take Mac at #19 though.  Rather have him in the 2nd but think he'll be gone.  We need to take the best LOT with our 2nd rounder. :)

I'd honestly be ok with trading down in the first if someone like Rousseau slips.

2 minutes ago, oraphus said:

I actually think Tua would be a great fit for this system here... and yes i would do it in a second for a 2nd rd pick. Not happening by the way.

I'd do it, too, but immediately afterwards make sure I invested on the line. Our line did get better as the year went on, but I still don't trust it.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

There's word they are at least considering a QB at 3. 

Yep I know.  I am in Florida i subscribe to the local newspapers and follow the Dolphin beat guys.  I posted an article from one on the draft thread this morning.  But yeah my gut from what am reading right now is they keep Tua.  But you never know.  It's possible they dump him.  

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Tua is super talented but he's basically the Jordan Reed of QBs. The guy has been consistently injured over and over since college and can't stay healthy for extended periods of time. He's brittle.

Yep it wasn't just his last injury, he got banged up a ton in college

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep I know.  I am in Florida i subscribe to the local newspapers and follow the Dolphin beat guys.  I posted an article from one on the draft thread this morning.  But yeah my gut from what am reading right now is they keep Tua.  But you never know.  It's possible they dump him.  

Yep it wasn't just his last injury, he got banged up a ton in college

If they didn't learn anything from seeing Tannehill thrive in Tennessee then they'll never learn. Tua has little to work with and resetting with a new QB seems a waste. Either draft Sewell or Chase, then draft Najee at 17 and then see what you got.

• Like 1

I couldn’t see Miami giving up so soon on Tua. But I’ll refrain from qb evaluations for a while. Haha. 

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If they didn't learn anything from seeing Tannehill thrive in Tennessee then they'll never learn. Tua has little to work with and resetting with a new QB seems a waste. Either draft Sewell or Chase, then draft Najee at 17 and then see what you got.

Tannehill’s Denise in Miami was due to Gase. It’s why Darnold still has some upside. 

50 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

We have good DTs but no real stars like we do at DE. I don't think there's any way one of them and a 2nd will move us up to 3 from 19 (if we lose to Tampa). It would probably be one of them, our 2022 1st, and our 2021 2nd. No thanks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'd trade down if I were them.  Miami has actually been smart of late.  They ended 10-6.  They've loaded up on picks.   On offense, Parker, Gaskin aren't bad players.    But they need more firepower for sure.  They are loaded this draft, too with picks.  They are on the right track.

Tannehill was decent with Miami.  I think in the attempt to ridicule Gase, Tannehill's career in Miami was redefined by some in the media.  But in real time, he was decent albeit not great for most of his career in Miami.  He just never seemed to take that next step up especially in big games/big moments.  Some say he did take that next step in Tennessee but in reality they don't really depend on him as much.  He threw the ball a lot more in Miami.    With the Titans, Ryan has come into his own but the game isn't always on his shoulders.  Derek Henry is the main dude.  This was Ryan's best season.   He doesn't throw as many picks now but he also doesn't throw the ball as much as he did in Miami.   He's definitely a better player now.  But he wasn't bad in Miami.  Now when we talk about Sam Darnold some on this thread -- he actually has been bad with the Jets. 😀

As for Tua.  Ryan Fitzpatrick has been better with the same supporting cast.  Ryan errs on the side of being aggressive.  Tua is conservative.   I liked Tua in college, watched him play multiple times live.  In the pros, I think he needs to learn to take more chances IMO.   The offense looks plodding when he's on the field -- looks much smoother with Fitzpatrick.  But Tua IMO will likely learn.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd trade down if I were them.  Miami has actually been smart of late.  They ended 10-6.  They've loaded up on picks.   On offense, Parker, Gaskin aren't bad players.    But they need more firepower for sure.  They are loaded this draft, too with picks.  They are on the right track.

Tannehill was decent with Miami.  I think in the attempt to ridicule Gase, Tannehill's career in Miami was redefined by some in the media.  But in real time, he was decent albeit not great for most of his career in Miami.  He just never seemed to take that next step up especially in big games/big moments.  Some say he did take that next step in Tennessee but in reality they don't really depend on him as much.  He threw the ball a lot more in Miami.    With the Titans, Ryan has come into his own but the game isn't always on his shoulders.  Derek Henry is the main dude.  This was Ryan's best season.   He doesn't throw as many picks now but he also doesn't throw the ball as much as he did in Miami.   He's definitely a better player now.  But he wasn't bad in Miami.  Now when we talk about Sam Darnold some on this thread -- he actually has been bad with the Jets. 😀

As for Tua.  Ryan Fitzpatrick has been better with the same supporting cast.  Ryan errs on the side of being aggressive.  Tua is conservative.   I liked Tua in college, watched him play multiple times live.  In the pros, I think he needs to learn to take more chances IMO.   The offense looks plodding when he's on the field -- looks much smoother with Fitzpatrick.  But Tua IMO will likely learn.

Well, Miami has two first rounders so they're better off getting a blue chip prospect at 3. Chase would be ideal for them. 

In terms of Tua/Fitzpatrick. I had this discussion with a friend. Fitz knows the offense and has worked with a majority of these players. Tua didn't have the benefit of an offseason not to mention he was still coming off that devastating injury. It's not surprising Fitz looked better with the offense, but it shouldn't say anything about Tua's career in the NFL. If you want to worry about durability concerns then no question there, but to already discount him (not you, just seems to be a growing sentiment) seems very foolish. It's wild they didn't draft any offensive weapons until the 7th round. I think they spend 3 of their 4 top picks there. Najee Harris, Jamar Chase, Brevin Thomas. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Well, Miami has two first rounders so they're better off getting a blue chip prospect at 3. Chase would be ideal for them. 

I love J. Chase but in their shoes if I could get a bounty for Zach Wilson, I'd take that deal in 2 seconds. A Miami reporter thinks they can get three #1's for their pick -- I think that's crazy, the only team which has given up that much was us for RG3.  But I do think they can get two #1's and a 2nd rounder.  I'd take it in a heartbeat, and grab Devonta Smith or Kyle Pitts in the mix.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

In terms of Tua/Fitzpatrick. I had this discussion with a friend. Fitz knows the offense and has worked with a majority of these players. Tua didn't have the benefit of an offseason not to mention he was still coming off that devastating injury. It's not surprising Fitz looked better with the offense, but it shouldn't say anything about Tua's career in the NFL. If you want to worry about durability concerns then no question there, but to already discount him (not you, just seems to be a growing sentiment) seems very foolish. It's wild they didn't draft any offensive weapons until the 7th round. I think they spend 3 of their 4 top picks there. Najee Harris, Jamar Chase, Brevin Thomas. 

To turn around a bad team to 10-6 in one off season and still be loaded with picks going forward is a feat.  They are young, too.  You can't rebuild Rome in a day but they are off to one heck of a start.  From what am reading they are on it as for fixing the offense this off season.    The Dolphin fans (among them my parents) I talk to are excited.  I agree with you about Tua. 

15 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’m thinking more and more about going after a good vet like Stafford or Matt Ryan. QB16 level play will give us a shot at 11 wins next season imo. 

Yeah to me this isn't Jay's teams before the fall where we were jazzed about maybe reaching 9-7 and then hey anything could happen in the playoffs.

Heck even WFT hater, Skip Bayless said WFT has a SB defense.   We need IMO a good offense.  I think we can go all the way with one. 

It's hard for me to get excited about roll of the dice reclamation projects like Sam Darnold.   I'd much rather have a guy that isn't a big roll of the dice.  I get we aren't getting Aaron Rodgers.  But i think the difference between landing an 8-12 type QB versus a 20-32 type QB is a SB versus no SB. 

I know some love throwing out the outliers like Denver winning with a waning Peyton Manning.   But i am not one that likes to bet on outliers.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Mac Jones isn’t super mobile is he? Either way he seems most likely to be available when we pick. I guess there’s a chance scouts get scared off by Lance’s inexperience and youth. I could see a scenario where Lance falls and we make a move up to get him. But I would go into the draft with a QB locked in from FA. Brissett, Taylor, Mariota (if cut) or even Darnold (if cut) come to mind. Guys that won’t lead you to the super bowl but with this defense might take you close. and that would allow you to take a chance on Lance as a longer term play. Even someone older like Jones with more recent tape shouldn’t be asked to

come in and do Anything next year. I see R1 QB options being a 2022-2023 play and getting someone in via FA to pair with Kyle Allen to game manage our way to the playoffs. The one benefit of going with Allen and Heineke + a rookie next year is it spares you valuable cap space to keep the defense together long term. But idk if you want to get cute. 

Count me all in for going for the window and building longterm. Get Brissett or Mariota and grab the best QB available to you in either R1 or R2. 

I did see a mock draft today that had 1-2-4 being Lawrence Fields Wilson and Lance went 12 ... Jones went to us at 19 and Trask went late 1st to Pittsburgh. 6 QBs in R1. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

Brady has struggled whenever he's faced a lot of pressure this season.  I expect we'll make life difficult for him but hes gonna get 24+ points regardless.  I'm not sure we could do that in eight quarters against a good Bucs defense.

I liked @Skinsinparadise point in another thread about how this match up could really help crystallize to the FO the need for a QB and how big the possibilities are if we find a good one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

We have good DTs but no real stars like we do at DE. I don't think there's any way one of them and a 2nd will move us up to 3 from 19 (if we lose to Tampa). It would probably be one of them, our 2022 1st, and our 2021 2nd. No thanks.

I was actually suggesting our 2021 1st, a DT and a 2022 2nd....The DT would likely have to be Allen or Payne for Miami to do it. 

25 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Brady has struggled whenever he's faced a lot of pressure this season.  I expect we'll make life difficult for him but hes gonna get 24+ points regardless.  I'm not sure we could do that in eight quarters against a good Bucs defense.

I liked @Skinsinparadise point in another thread about how this match up could really help crystallize to the FO the need for a QB and how big the possibilities are if we find a good one.

Since week 6, except for the Lions game, our D has not given up more than 20 points. Chase is coming for Brady. He is going to make Brady very uncomfortable in the pocket and make him make mistakes. Brady, even in his prime, lost two SB to the Giants because of their defense. Brady had pretty good players around him in those two loses as well. 

Brady thinks he will play in the SB at home. WFT needs to make sure that doesn't happen. :)

I am sure Ron will make sure we are solid at the QB position next year. This will be a fun off-season for all of us. Hopefully.