Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Just thought of the perfect scenario:

1. Snyder gets suspended from football for one year, not allowed to contact anyone in the organization or be present during games.
  2. Fitzmagic lasts and entire season and takes us to the Super Bowl, Snyder is not allowed to be present for that either.
  3. We win and the commish hands the trophy to the minority owners.
  4. Snyder comes back the next season and we suck for another two decades.

I would take it in a heartbeat.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, CTskins said:

He's correct. I like the move, but still looking for a 2nd/3rd round project. Montez will probably be on the Practice Squad.

Don't we have those projects already? Unless you are convinced that 3rd rounder is going to turn in to at least Kirk Cousins, why waste the pick on a project. We already have two projects on the roster. Plus Montez.

I like it.  Strategically it means we dont HAVE to reach for a QB this year or trade up if there isnt one there, but if someone drops, we can comfortably take one and sit a year.  It also means we can have the two younger guys sit and learn a year regardless.

On the field, I like the fit too.  Yes, he's going to throw the ball further down the field resulting in more TDs and pics.  But we're pretty well set up to absorb those negative possessions. I trust the D to get us out of at least some of those jams he'll leave us in and will take that as a tradeoff for the occasional 50 yard TD to replace the 4 yard check down.  You arent obliged to play super conservative when you have a top 5 D.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Don't we have those projects already? Unless you are convinced that 3rd rounder is going to turn in to at least Kirk Cousins, why waste the pick on a project. We already have two projects on the roster. Plus Montez.

"Project," I suppose for lack of better word at the time. Someone who can take a year with a headset and clipboard and learn the offense and reads, and step in year 2 and take over for the next 4-10.

Of course, I could be wrong and it would make for a great story, but I don't see that in Heinicke, Allen, or Montez. All of whom were undrafted free agents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Honestly, this is what scares me. While Heinicke and Allen have me more thinking about what their ceilings could be, Fitz has me saying he's not going to improve much (although these have been his best two years). I'm not on the Sheehan bandwagon calling him a top 10 QB or trying to say he may outperform Stafford. I really think that it'll be an up and down season as we live and die with his performances. Its sad because 10 years ago I wanted to give this guy a chance and see what we could do with him. He was the Nick Mullens that worked out. 

The thing about this move is that I really don't see the up side in it. Like, with Alex, we knew we were getting a safe QB. He wasn't going to win us games but at this point in his career he wasn't going to lose us many games. Case Keenum was a guy I liked trading for because he cost nothing and I thought he looked so good in Minnesota and decent in Denver that it was worth the risk. The gamble with Fitz is that we get no better production than Heinicke or Allen, but worse than say Smith and this regression causes Snyder to come back into the front office making demands to get his next favorite QB to draft and fix the team. Not saying Mullens would be a better option but I don't think Fitz throwing for 4000 yards and 25 TDs but going 6-10 will do a lot to settle Snyder's need to improve the team by direct involvement. 

Fitzmagic will not be worse than Alex Smith. As for Synder interference; if he interferes, he will be looking for a new coach.

Fitz is 59-86-1 as a starter. Yikes. I’m sure his record is way better over the last 5 years. But Shannon makes a salient point. He says anytime Fitz has expectations on him he crumbles. So let’s let Fitz know we have no expectations from him. Lol. Just go play carefree and have fun. No worries or stress Fitzy, just do your thing. 

OK  was wondering where Keim would come down now on this since Fitz its signed.  This is somewhat vague.  In the past he said he didn't expect an aggressive trade up for a QB but might chase one in the first if they drop closer to their pick where the draft capital isn't high. Also building trade capital for 2022 is on the table.  Also their inclination isn't to dump Allen or Heinicke.  This post is tougher for me to dicipher.  I bet he talks about it in his next podcast, I am curious because I bet his intel on this is stronger now that it actually has gone down. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41199/ryan-fitzpatricks-arrival-wont-keep-washington-from-drafting-a-qb-early

SHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Football Team knows exactly what it's getting in quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick: A guy who can move the ball, will be fun and at times maddening, and can serve as a mentor. Fitzpatrick will also turn 39 during the season, which is why his arrival doesn't signal the end of Washington's quarterback search.

Fitzpatrick is what everyone thinks he is: A stopgap quarterback who can help a team win now while waiting for someone else to help later. And that player could still come through the draft.

Had Washington pursued a different quarterback -- whether it be former first-round picks such as Mitchell Trubisky (Bears), Marcus Mariota (Raiders) or Sam Darnold (Jets) -- it would possibly have been more tempted to see if that guy could still develop into a quality starter.

With Fitzpatrick, it's all about his ability to help now as a player, and in the future as a mentor. That's why it's not out of the question Washington could take a quarterback early in the 2021 NFL draft. What round that's in (Washington has the No. 19 overall pick), who knows?

Don't forget: Offensive coordinator Scott Turner and general manager Martin Mayhew attended the pro day of North Dakota State's Trey Lance last week. If they like Lance and have a chance to draft him, having Fitzpatrick plus Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke and Steven Montez won't stop them.

Also, most of the quarterbacks in this draft expected to go in the first round are relatively inexperienced -- Alabama's Mac Jones has started 17 games; Lance has started 17 games and played just one this past season; Ohio State's Justin Fields has started 22 games. But all have skills worth developing if given time.

That means not having to play those quarterbacks immediately. Having a guy like Fitzpatrick buys a young kid time, while also learning from an experienced veteran -- as Tua Tagovailoa did last season in Miami. And Fitzpatrick could stick around beyond 2021 as a backup.

Had Washington waited to address the position in the draft, it would have entered the season with three young and relatively inexperienced quarterbacks plus a rookie. Yes, the team just gave Heinicke $1.5 million in guaranteed money and the coaching staff does like Allen. But there isn't a QB of whom the team can rightly say, "This is our guy for the future."

Until you have that player, you're always searching for him.

Now, however, Washington has its bridge quarterback. If they can't draft a quarterback they like, then they could see how Heinicke or Allen develops, and then try the QB search again next offseason.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 hours ago, CTskins said:

He's correct. I like the move, but still looking for a 2nd/3rd round project. Montez will probably be on the Practice Squad.

Didn't know this trivial factoid before, but Montez' father played for the Oakland Raiders in 1996.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK  was wondering where Keim would come down now on this since Fitz its signed.  This is somewhat vague.  In the past he said he didn't expect an aggressive trade up for a QB but might chase one in the first if they drop closer to their pick where the draft capital isn't high. Also building trade capital for 2022 is on the table.  Also their inclination isn't to dump Allen or Heinicke.  This post is tougher for me to dicipher.  I bet he talks about it in his next podcast, I am curious because I bet his intel on this is stronger now that it actually has gone down. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41199/ryan-fitzpatricks-arrival-wont-keep-washington-from-drafting-a-qb-early

SHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Football Team knows exactly what it's getting in quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick: A guy who can move the ball, will be fun and at times maddening, and can serve as a mentor. Fitzpatrick will also turn 39 during the season, which is why his arrival doesn't signal the end of Washington's quarterback search.

Fitzpatrick is what everyone thinks he is: A stopgap quarterback who can help a team win now while waiting for someone else to help later. And that player could still come through the draft.

Had Washington pursued a different quarterback -- whether it be former first-round picks such as Mitchell Trubisky (Bears), Marcus Mariota (Raiders) or Sam Darnold (Jets) -- it would possibly have been more tempted to see if that guy could still develop into a quality starter.

With Fitzpatrick, it's all about his ability to help now as a player, and in the future as a mentor. That's why it's not out of the question Washington could take a quarterback early in the 2021 NFL draft. What round that's in (Washington has the No. 19 overall pick), who knows?

Don't forget: Offensive coordinator Scott Turner and general manager Martin Mayhew attended the pro day of North Dakota State's Trey Lance last week. If they like Lance and have a chance to draft him, having Fitzpatrick plus Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke and Steven Montez won't stop them.

Also, most of the quarterbacks in this draft expected to go in the first round are relatively inexperienced -- Alabama's Mac Jones has started 17 games; Lance has started 17 games and played just one this past season; Ohio State's Justin Fields has started 22 games. But all have skills worth developing if given time.

That means not having to play those quarterbacks immediately. Having a guy like Fitzpatrick buys a young kid time, while also learning from an experienced veteran -- as Tua Tagovailoa did last season in Miami. And Fitzpatrick could stick around beyond 2021 as a backup.

Had Washington waited to address the position in the draft, it would have entered the season with three young and relatively inexperienced quarterbacks plus a rookie. Yes, the team just gave Heinicke $1.5 million in guaranteed money and the coaching staff does like Allen. But there isn't a QB of whom the team can rightly say, "This is our guy for the future."

Until you have that player, you're always searching for him.

Now, however, Washington has its bridge quarterback. If they can't draft a quarterback they like, then they could see how Heinicke or Allen develops, and then try the QB search again next offseason.

If we pursue another QB this offseason, I'm curious what the cap effect would be, if we ended up cutting Fitz, by the end of Training Camp, even though that scenario is probably very unlikely

I posted this elsewhere but it belongs here too

Breer just on, he said he heard that Fitzpatrick was a key target after they missed out on Stafford.  They see themselves as a contender now.   If you give up capital for Darnld or Wentz or players like that you are squandering trade capital for bigger potential targets including trading up in the draft.    They can win now.  Thus buys them time to find someone special that they swing hard on if an opportunity arises.   If they fall hard for a QB they can go get him still.   He said similar to how KC bought time with Alex who they liked until they found a guy they loved. 

More or less he said they are willing to take a big swing but won't force it on a guy they don't love.  This gives them flexibility to do it without panic. 

They feel they are a LB and a DB from having an elite defense.  If they can just make their offense average -- then they are in business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Signing Fitz just tells me they weren’t that interested in a long term reclamation project from another team.  Any of those options (Mariotta, Darnold, Winston, etc) would have required a more significant financial and time commitment.  I think they are still looking for “the guy” and if he becomes available in the draft I think they will take him.  Otherwise we role in to this year as staffed and keep looking next year.

I like the move to sign Fitz. Is he a long term solution? Of course not.

However, in the short term he brings some stability. I expect our record might be below expectations given our first place schedule, but I’m okay with that.

I will settle for consistently watchable football at this point. We haven’t had that on forever. Now load that defense.

Never know what happens in the draft.

A QB we like might drop.

And as Keim says, having Kyle Allen isn't going to stop us from drafting that guy. 

I'm doubtful anyone drops though. Rookie contract QBs are too valuable these days.  

In previous segments, Keim suggested they could still take a QB and trade up if they dig one but didn't think they'd be willing to give up major draft capital. 

He is doubling down on it today but if Schefter is right, they likely would have to give major draft capital to move up. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I recall Keim and Standig said before this move if they sign a veteran don't expect a rookie QB, too.  Because they don't intend to dump Heinicke or Allen.   The exception being if there is a surprise faller in the first round in the draft.  Will see if they change their tune now that they actually made the move.

The thread isn't let me dump that DJ post above, weird. 

Wouldn't be surprised if our GM and RR looked at these stats and is playing the Moneyball game of heavy stats. Also, I think that they looked at the QB landscape and cost to draft up and or land a Watson type and thought it wasn't worth the cost.  Kind of surprised they did make a run at Mariota, maybe he's not available? With Taylor and Fitz gone, I would imagine it lowers Mariota's value?