Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I appreciate I’ve been quite repetitive on this, but for me I could see us in on Marcus Mariota if he gets released. That is the only move I see that may impede Fitz being a clear starter in 2021.

Fitz/Mariota/Heinicke works for me. 

I’ve been fine with Kyle Allen to date. I suspect his value to RR and Turner has been somewhat diminished by the emergence of Heinicke.

You know, I thought about this also as Mariota would be considered the future QB. I don't think Mariota would want to be on the roster with Fitz though. Also a bummer for Heinicke if this occurred. 

Right now I like the idea of only really thinking QB if the right one is there day 2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

You know, I thought about this also as Mariota would be considered the future QB. I don't think Mariota would want to be on the roster with Fitz though. Also a bummer for Heinicke if this occurred. 

Right now I like the idea of only really thinking QB if the right one is there day 2.

Agree on those points. You could argue Fitz was worth a couple of years on his contract, so there is an element of open book for 2022 still. Getting Fitz certainly takes the edge off our QB desperation for now though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Specifically as to Trask, Keim said that was his own opinion because in his mind he has the intangibles that Rivera likes.  And he stressed hard only if he falls to the third round.

If he was hedging his bets and actually heard it from someone there and is pretending this is just his take -- than my thought on that is someone might have told him, Trask is a roll of the dice and it only might become interesting for them if he falls to the third -- anything above that isn't worth the risk for them.  If so, for all we know they might feel the same about Jones but if Jones is going in the first they don't like his value that high in the draft.  

He didn't really hit either point that strong about Jones or Trask.  You guys can listen to it and make your own deductions but that's my take listening to it.

Keim's name dropping often has a meaning behind it from what i've seen over the years.  but on Trask he specifically couched it by saying it was his opinion versus something he heard.  The thing that makes me a little suspicious is the heavy handed way he made the point about not in the 2nd round.  

Thrown a lot of post on you this A.M., SIP.  Sorry. :)  Reading on Trask and I don't hate him and think of him as average.  Walterfootball write up compares him to our old QB from Minny originally that Casserly traded for Brad Johnson.  

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

Thrown a lot of post on you this A.M., SIP.  Sorry. :)  Reading on Trask and I don't hate him and think of him as average.  Walterfootball write up compares him to our old QB from Minny originally that Casserly traded for Brad Johnson.  

I don't hate ANY QB in the draft with a third rounder.  it's a roll of the dice.   So if you fail you fail -- the opportunity cost of failing is nothing like blowing a first round pick or even a 2nd. 

I typically don't care what Walterfootball or whomever says about whatever player once I watch him.  You can find heavy complements about many players if you look for it -- it means though nothing.  For example, Orlovsky, B. Brooks, Casserly, Reddick thought Dawyne Haskins was a stud.  But so what?  It didn't change my mind as for what I thought of him once I watched him closely.   

Everyone (that includes everyone on this board including myself) gets things wrong at QB.  Doug Williams who actually played the spot flat out said the draft is a crap shoot.   You guess about Kyle Trask or whomever is just as good as Walterfootball.   

Personally, I see your guy, Mac Jones as a better comparison to Kirk than Trask. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is a nugget from Standig.  I'd add that after Keim, Standig seems to have the most gossip.  He and Keim are almost always aligned.  But they don't seem to be on QB. Standig at the moment doesn't seem to think they take a QB.

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 7.54.57 AM.png

This could be an interesting development.  If they solidify the TE position, you could see more gadget plays out of Thomas taking snaps.  Could be a fun offense to watch.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some here have said target Rodgers next year.  

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. I suppose it depends on the price. I'm guessing it would be a minimum of two 1st rounders and probably more. Rodgers clearly still has it and is an automatic first ballot HoFer, but how much longer should we assume he will be able to play at this level? I doubt every QB will be like Brady and be able to play well into their 40s. Brady is by far the outlier in pretty much every other way, so IMO it should be assumed that he's the outlier there as well.

35 minutes ago, Burgold said:
  • It's hard for me to imagine the first four picks all being QBs. 

I'm not 100% sold on the Lions or Falcons going QB. The Lions have Goff as a bridge but he's so expensive its hard to see him not starting for at least a year or two. And Ryan just restructed his deal with the Falcons. Both those teams have huge needs all over their roster to be burning top 5 picks on QBs that will ride the pine.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not 100% sold on the Lions or Falcons going QB. The Lions have Goff as a bridge but he's so expensive its hard to see him not starting for at least a year or two. And Ryan just restructed his deal with the Falcons. Both those teams have huge needs all over their roster to be burning top 5 picks on QBs that will ride the pine.

Yep. Now, they could both trade down, but I just don't see 1-4 being all QBs in any case if for no other reason that I don't think there are four bulletproof super blue chip QB prospects in this draft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some here have said target Rodgers next year.  

We need a young franchise QB.  I'd be for keeping Fitzpatrick if he has a decent year for us. 

3 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Especially with Fitzy now in the building, i'd do anything to get Zach Wilson on this team... I have a feeling he will end up having the best career out of all the QB's this year. Kids a stud.

He's my favorite prospect after Lawrence. But there's no way he's falling past 5. He's most likely top 2 or 3. There's just no way we could do that without giving up our 22 and 23 1sts and 2nds. I don't see Rivera and company doing that. I think it would definitely count as "mortgaging the future", which they've explicitly said they don't want to do.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

He's my favorite prospect after Lawrence. But there's no way he's falling past 5. He's most likely top 2 or 3. There's just no way we could do that without giving up our 22 and 23 1sts and 2nds. I don't see Rivera and company doing that. I think it would definitely count as "mortgaging the future", which they've explicitly said they don't want to do.

I’d trade up to 2 to get him. Given the opportunity. I’d pay the RGIII price. 

• Like 1

The Rams are going to go the best part of a decade without a first rounder. Just go for it :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’d trade up to 2 to get him. Given the opportunity. I’d pay the RGIII price. 

I think it would cost more than it did for RGIII. We gave up two future 1sts and a 2nd to move from 6 to 2. Moving from 19 to 2? Good lord, I can't even imagine. You'd have to make it REALLY worthwhile for a team to move from #2 to the bottom half of the draft. It would probably include two future 1sts and multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks. That or two future 1sts plus 2-3 marquee players.

I think the latter is probably more likely as a team would want proven studs to move that far back. Teams would probably be targeting Chase and McLaurin and maybe more. That's just too rich for me.

That or two future 1sts plus 2-3 marquee players.

I think the latter is probably more likely as a team would want proven studs to move that far back. Teams would probably be targeting Chase and McLaurin and maybe more. That's just too rich for me.

They'd have to hold the phone back from their head because Rivera would be laughing so loud it'd be ear piercing. 

3 firsts plus a blue chip receiver and the guy who was second overall last year and got defensive rookie of the year for one guy who has as much chance of being the next ryan leaf as he does of becoming the next drew brees would be insulting. 

• Like 2