Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

I don't see us trading up to 4 or 5; to take whoever is left of the first tier QBs.  Too much capital to give.   We could trade up in the second or third round; if we feel one of the second tier QBs we are interested in is available and we feel they maybe gone before we pick.

I think we draft a rookie QB to groom.   We go Fitz, Taylor or Kyle and rookie 2 second tier QB.  

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't see us trading up to 4 or 5; to take whoever is left of the first tier QBs.  Too much capital to give.   We could trade up in the second or third round; if we feel one of the second tier QBs we are interested in is available and we feel they maybe gone before we pick.

I think we draft a rookie QB to groom.   We go Fitz, Taylor or Kyle and rookie 2 second tier QB.  

No way we're going to carry 4 QBs. If we draft a QB in the first 3 rounds either Heinicke or Allen will get the boot IMO.

Then again it's also possible that Allen will start on the PUP list.

Edited by mistertim

This time, I know who we have as the starter, but he's going to compete with everybody else," said Rivera, talking for the first time about Fitzpatrick's signing. "I want to play the guy that's going to give us the best opportunity to win, the best opportunity to grow and develop as a football team."

It's also still possible that one of Fitzpatrick's competitors will be a rookie selected later this month. Though Rivera played down the need to draft a quarterback, sources have consistently said since the Fitzpatrick signing that Washington would like to draft a quarterback. It wants to have a young, talented passer to groom -- and it's possible the team won't take one with the 19th pick but perhaps in the second or third round, according to a source.

"Picking where we're picking, there are a lot of things that can happen," Rivera said. "We have targets, we have ideas, we have guys that we like, but that always changes just because of the fact that everybody has a choice. You just never know what's going to happen at that point."

However, Rivera said there is no pressure to take one now. Washington could opt to bypass a quarterback, focusing more on building the roster, and try again next offseason.

In 2011, Rivera's first draft pick in Carolina was quarterback Cam Newton, taken with the top choice. But, Rivera said, it took four years to surround him with the necessary talent. That also happened to be the year Carolina went 15-1 and reached the Super Bowl. Rivera said they might have to take a different approach in Washington.

"I've always thought if you can do it the other way, where you put all the other pieces around and then go out and get your quarterback, that might be a pretty good situation too," he said.

Washington attempted to trade for Matthew Stafford and explored other quarterbacks, but Fitzpatrick was always on its mind; in his 20 starts with Miami, he threw a combined 33 touchdowns to 21 interceptions. Washington likes how his experience will help younger players on offense develop.

"There are a lot of positive things about having this type of guy around," Rivera said. "When I was in Carolina at one time and we had to compete against him, you always sat there and go, 'Gosh, this guy -- there's something about this guy.' It's going to be intriguing for us to see exactly how it unfolds and how it fits with us."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31165378/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-predictions-all-64-picks-rounds-1-2-plus-where-seven-qbs-land

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No way we're going to carry 4 QBs. If we draft a QB in the first 3 rounds either Heinicke or Allen will get the boot IMO.

Yep Keim has talked about this.  If they draft a QB.   It would be adios Heinicke or Allen.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So Rivera basically said that Fitz is penciled in as the starter but Allen and Heinicke will get a chance to unseat him. I'm guessing they'd have to seriously impress. Or Fitz would have to seriously bomb.

I think he basically said Fitz is the starter, the only competition is for #2.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

Well, I did say Taylor or Kyle. They are battling to be the backup. I think we go into camp with 4 QBs. The loser in the backup battle will get cut or traded.

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, I did say Taylor or Kyle. They are battling to be the backup. I think we go into camp with 4 QBs. The loser in the backup battle will get cut or traded.

Yeah I just re-read it, you're right. That's my bad; I read at first and thought you said "Taylor and Kyle". Sorry about that. 🙂

I'm surprised this thread has been so quiet lately, especially with some of the smokescreen coming out about Washington still being open to drafting a QB to groom. It gets me thinking who they'd go after, and in what round ... Especially since doing that'd means Heinicke or Allen would be on the bubble. I'd be curious what people think would be the possibilities, if that is indeed what Washington is planning.  Here's my offering:

Round 1:  Too expensive to trade up for Lawrence,Wilson, Fields, or Lance.  I think it unlikely Jones slides to 19, so Washington goes BPA (Maybe with slight weighting to athletes  At LT, LB, or FS) in the first round.  Maybe they even trade down slightly to get extra picks for leverage to trade up in 2nd round.  (If Jones is available at 19, he's probably good value to take,  especially since more likely to be ready to work into live NFL game time near the end of his rookie year.)

Round 2:  [if smokescreen was true] If Mond is still available in early round 2, and WFT actually wants to draft a QB, that's when Washington trades up for him.  The WFT plan would be to sit Mond for most of his rookie year, and train him up (especially on reading NFL defenses more effectively.) Then work him into life game time during his  years 2,3,& 4 and see if he's worth keeping by his 5th year.

Please understand how this represents a major shift from my original 'Pre-Fitz signing' view that  WFT might only take a possible flyer on Newman in late round 3.  At the time, I saw that as a 2-3 year project, but now I'm not even keen on that, because I'm not certain how well Newman would actually fit in Washington 's play-scheme.  With Newman it would likely take a few years to find out, and it's possible in two years WFT might only have a high-potential/unknown to hope he their answer as its starting QB.  Whereas Mond already seems a closer fit to what Washington is running, and seems to keep improving his skills with each year.  Mond just seems a safer bet, and is already adequately talented for the role.

I'd stay away from Trask, Mills, etc....because I don't see them as an appreciable upgrade over Henicke/Allen... Even they were available to be picked up in rounds 4 through 6, at best they'd be just backup level.   After the "Big-4" and Jones,.... only Mond seems like someone worth dumping Heinicke or Allen for.   (I'll grant that Newman has more raw potentential, but does not seem he'd be a good scheme fit -- even if he developed his NFL gamee: he seems more like a fit for the long passing style that the  Bengals, 70's Raiders, and the early Bruce Arians teams tend to favor.)

...So what are your thoughts on this possible scenario where Washington drafts a QB when Fitz, Heinicke, and Allen are already signed up for 2021 season?

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I'm surprised this thread has been so quiet lately, especially with some of the smokescreen coming out about Washington still being open to drafting a QB to groom. It gets me thinking who they'd go after, and in what round ... Especially since doing that'd mean Heinicke or Allen would be on the bubble. I'd be curious what people think would be the possibilities, if that is indeed what Washington is planning.  Here's my offering:

Round 1:  Too expensive to trade up for Lawrence,Wilson, Fields, or Lance.  I think it unlikely Jones slides to 19, so Washington goes BPA (Maybe with slight weighting to athletes  At LT, LB, or FS) in the first round.  Maybe they even trade down slightly to get extra picks for leverage to trade up in 2nd round.  (If Jones is available at 19, he's probably good value to take,  especially since more likely to be ready to work into live NFL game time near the end of his rookie year.)

Round 2:  [if smokescreen was true] If Mond is still available in early round 2, and WFT actually wants to draft a QB, that's when Washington trades up for him.  The WFT plan would be to sit Mond for most of his rookie year, and train him up (especially on reading NFL defenses more effectively.) Then work him into life game time during his  years 2,3,& 4 and see if he's worth keeping by his 5th year.

please understand This represents a major shift from my original 'Pre-Fitz signing' view that WFT might take a flyer on Newman in late round 3, because I'm know also not certain how well Newman would actually  fit in Washington 's play-scheme.  With Newman it would likely take a few years to find out, and it's possible in two years WF T might only have a high-potential/unknown being spotted in as its starting QB.  Whereas Mond seems a closer fit to what Washington is running, and seems to keep improving his candidacy year.  mind Just seems a safer bet, and adequately talented.

I'd stay away from Trask, Mills, etc....because I don't see them as an appreciable upgrade over Henicke/Allen... Even they were available to be picked up in rounds 4 through 6, at best they'd be just backup level.   After the "Big-4" and Jones,.... only Mond seems like someone worth dumping Heinicke or Allen for.   (I'll grant that Newman has more raw potentential, but does not seem he'd be a good scheme fit -- even if he developed his NFL gamee: he seems more like a fit for the long passing style that the  Bengals, 70's Raiders, and the early Bruce Arians teams tend to favor.

...So what are your thoughts on this possible scenario where Washington drafts a QB when Fitz, Heinicke, and Allen are already signed up for 2021 season?

Mills is starting to catch fire and fly up mock drafting boards.  He had little playing time due to injuries.  He needs work but is mobile and reads the field well.  Have you watched video on him.  He makes throwing the ball look easy and puts good touch on it and seems very accurate.  There is good and bad write ups.  I was and still am in the Mond camp but Mills is growing on me and I think can be had in the 3rd round.  

Edited by RWJ

30 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I'm surprised this thread has been so quiet lately, especially with some of the smokescreen coming out about Washington still being open to drafting a QB to groom. 

There has been a lot of recent talk on the subject. 

With Fitz starting and Heini as a backup it leaves a great situation for a guy to sit a year. Allen will either be gone or start on the IR

I assume the top five are out of reach i the 1st.

I don't see any one else being worthy to go in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

My preference is Newman then Mills in the third. They are followed by Mond and Trask

Other than that, there are a couple 6-7th round guys that may be worth a flyer 

2 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

@DWinzit We could also punt at QB this year and continue to develop Steven Montez. 6'4 231 strong arm and mobile with another year in the system. We also have preseason games this year.

Yeah, I don't see the point in gambling on a QB with any picks this year when we are a pretty good team overall with some serious strengths and some non-QB weaknesses we need to address.  Those weaknesses are easier to address in this draft.  Think about WFT going 7-9 with Haskins starting several games (granted he won 1), Gibson, Kurl, and Young being rookies who needed time to develop, the OL needed time to gel, and Logan Thomas needed time to emerge as a real TE threat.  Irregardful of whoever wins the QB competition, WFT is much better now than it was last year.  Then you add Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, and Adam Humphries.  The reason why Scherff is here on the tag, regardless of whether he signs a LTD, is that this team is competitive now.  It may not have a serious chance of bringing home Lombardi #4, but it's certainly in the mix of teams who could get to its conference championship.  Rivera is in the unusual position of having a team that is in both "win now" and "build for the future" mode.  The other thing is next year's draft.  Because of the strange/partially-wipe-out college season this year, we really don't have an idea of what next year's draft class will look like after a full season of real football.  Stack the team and if it looks like none of Fitzpatrick, Allen, or Heinicke are the answer, THEN blow some capital for a QB.  Who knows, maybe some disgruntled star QB will bolt and come here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

@DWinzit We could also punt at QB this year and continue to develop Steven Montez. 6'4 231 strong arm and mobile with another year in the system. We also have preseason games this year.

That's for sure, go with all 4 current QB's. It would allow the day one or two pick used on a QB to instead strengthen the roster. There are holes to fill and I am all for that.

The reason there has been so much talk hear of adding a QB has been so much from the media and particular ones that as @Skinsinparadisesays are the most plugged in to the organization. I would be good with them being incorrect and that 3rd rounder turns into a TE, LB, FS, WR, RB, OL ....

• Like 1

Unless Keim and Standig have purposely been misled by their sources with the team.  Keim in particular is often right.  Keim mentioned their FA targets for example at WR and that's precisely who they ended up chasing.

Listening to both (Finlay, too) looks like they like either Mills or Trask.  Not sure which one and will likely nabbed them if they are still there in the third round.

And if so they are unlikely to carry 4 QBs on their roster so either Allen or Heincike would be in trouble. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Unless Keim and Standig have purposely been misled by their sources with the team.  Keim in particular is often right.  Keim mentioned their FA targets for example at WR and that's precisely who they ended up chasing.

Listening to both (Finlay, too) looks like they like either Mills or Trask.  Not sure which one and will likely nabbed them if they are still there in the third round.

And if so they are unlikely to carry 4 QBs on their roster so either Allen or Heincike would be in trouble. 

I know we tendered Allen, but has he signed? I know it was for only peanuts on the dollar but I'm not privy to restricted FA contracts

The more I see of Trask, the more it seems to me that drafting him would be a mistake. I think his stats benefited by the skills of his supporting cast, and I'm really not that impressed with his accuracy.  His lack of mobility would be a big drawback for what Washington can provide for pocket protection.  And his line plunges may not look so good vs. NFL-sized D-linemen.

I'm still checking out Mills, but his performance seems to vary a lot, even within the same game.  His UCLA game gets the most exposure, but that's just one game.  Still checking though.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah, generally speaking, it’s an interesting situation with the team/reporter dynamic and the uncertainty/flexibility of the draft.  
I’ll be curious to see if we do go with a tackle at 19, and if we land Mills or Trask (as Keim has suggested).  

Just another opinion and because it's slow on news today.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/washington-football-teams-guy-at-qb-an-option-in-every-nfl-draft-round

WFT's Guy at QB?: An Option in Every NFL Draft Round

Our thought is that unless overwhelmingly sold on the talent, the Washington Football Team shouldn't be trading up for a quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft. Even then, giving the future away might not be worth what's in the present. 

Four quarterbacks saw action in D.C. for Ron Rivera's first season. The hope is that veteran journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick will see all 17 games — if not more in the postseason — for 2021. Still, the common thought with the 38-year-old is his role as being both a starter and a mentor for the "franchise quarterback" of tomorrow today. ...

If the WFT can find someone for him to mentor.

It's clear what Fitzpatrick is at this point in his career. The same goes for Taylor Heinicke and Kyle Allen, both of whom have spent at least a season in coordinator Scott Turner's system. The trio can get you some wins, but can they get over the hump? 

A combined 21 years of NFL experience has led to an 0-1 playoff run. 

That's not enough to prove Washington is set for 2021. With "their guy" it could be for the long-term. The question is, who is Washington's "guy"? 

It is in the first round? The second? Should the WFT be prepared to throw one dart ... somewhere ... in every round?

That's our thesis here.

Based off what the offense could be looking for, here's an option in each round Washington could be interested in for the next long-term starter. 

ROUND 1: Trey Lance, North Dakota State 

This is the only quarterback worth trading up for into the top 10. Even then, it's a huge risk with boom-bust potential written all over it. Still, Lance's final season in with the Bison showed he was accurate, precise and excelled in decision-making to help his team win the FCS title.  Forty-two total touchdowns against zero interceptions. Need we say more?  

Lance is talented, but one year of production isn't enough to make him an NFL starter. Learning behind Fitzpatrick, the young gun can harness his poise with the release while also adapting to NFL defensive looks. 

Washington might only make Lance "their guy" if he were to fall outside the top 10. It seems unlikely, but could he slip to 19?

ROUND 2: Kyle Trask, Florida

Trask is a high IQ-based quarterback coming from Dan Mullen's system down in Gainesville. The production lived up in 2020 after coming in for Felipe Franks last season.

Most of Trask's success came with a clean pocket and a star-studded supporting cast to work after the catch. Few would describe his arm as pinpoint accurate and his lack of mobility makes him limited when things go haywire. 

He's a project, but he could have upside should Washington focus on the keeping the offensive line as the x-factor. 

ROUND 3: Davis Mills, Stanford

Turner's system will be looking for a quarterback who can react quick and deliver a perfect strike. That's where Mills thrived best in Palo Alto. As a two-year starter, the former Cardinal can assess a situation early, connect downfield and have the confidence to throw on target. 

The biggest area of concern? His quickness. Sometimes Mills will decide where the ball his headed without waiting for the play to unfold a second longer. That led to multiple turnovers during his time in college. 

He has all the skills to be great, but learning the "dos" and "don'ts" of passing will be essential. 

ROUND 4: Kellen Mond, Texas A&M

One look at Mond's arm strength shows he can extend plays deep downfield for massive gains in any system. The former Aggie also vastly understands the concepts needed to play at the next level.

Mond's biggest flaw is his growth. After being the starter for four seasons in College Station, there's just been flashes of the ultimate product. Was it coaching? Lack of weapons? Trust? 

Mond's a risk no matter where he lands, but we wonder if his upside and pure strength could make him the next Dak Prescott. 

ROUND 5: Sam Ehlinger, Texas 

Ehlinger need to become better as an intermediate passer. His ability to evade pressure and use his legs will work at the next level. His overall arm strength will rely on pinpoint accuracy. 

Fitzpatrick could teach the ropes of connecting for accuracy, but even then it might be just enough for a high-end backup.  

ROUND 6: Ian Book, Notre Dame 

From a leadership standpoint, Book might be the best quarterback in this class. He's gusty, though and is willing to put the team on his back. Sometimes, it's too much that leads to forced plays downfield in tight coverage. 

Book might be the best of the late bunch, but he needs to improve on his touch and vision to be a quality name in the NFL. 

ROUND 7: Feleipe Franks, Arkansas 

The stereotypical quarterback with a great size and good arm strength, Franks fits most systems. While he looks the part of a quarterback, his accuracy and overall vision aren't up to par. 

Franks has to get better at going through his progressions and delivering cleaner strikes. Still, off size alone, Rivera and Turner would have something to work with.

And that's the thesis here: Fitzpatrick as the master ... and a search for a worthy apprentice. 

37 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Just another opinion and because it's slow on news today.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/washington-football-teams-guy-at-qb-an-option-in-every-nfl-draft-round

WFT's Guy at QB?: An Option in Every NFL Draft Round

Our thought is that unless overwhelmingly sold on the talent, the Washington Football Team shouldn't be trading up for a quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft. Even then, giving the future away might not be worth what's in the present. 

Four quarterbacks saw action in D.C. for Ron Rivera's first season. The hope is that veteran journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick will see all 17 games — if not more in the postseason — for 2021. Still, the common thought with the 38-year-old is his role as being both a starter and a mentor for the "franchise quarterback" of tomorrow today. ...

If the WFT can find someone for him to mentor.

It's clear what Fitzpatrick is at this point in his career. The same goes for Taylor Heinicke and Kyle Allen, both of whom have spent at least a season in coordinator Scott Turner's system. The trio can get you some wins, but can they get over the hump? 

A combined 21 years of NFL experience has led to an 0-1 playoff run. 

That's not enough to prove Washington is set for 2021. With "their guy" it could be for the long-term. The question is, who is Washington's "guy"? 

It is in the first round? The second? Should the WFT be prepared to throw one dart ... somewhere ... in every round?

That's our thesis here.

Based off what the offense could be looking for, here's an option in each round Washington could be interested in for the next long-term starter. 

ROUND 1: Trey Lance, North Dakota State 

This is the only quarterback worth trading up for into the top 10. Even then, it's a huge risk with boom-bust potential written all over it. Still, Lance's final season in with the Bison showed he was accurate, precise and excelled in decision-making to help his team win the FCS title.  Forty-two total touchdowns against zero interceptions. Need we say more?  

Lance is talented, but one year of production isn't enough to make him an NFL starter. Learning behind Fitzpatrick, the young gun can harness his poise with the release while also adapting to NFL defensive looks. 

Washington might only make Lance "their guy" if he were to fall outside the top 10. It seems unlikely, but could he slip to 19?

ROUND 2: Kyle Trask, Florida

Trask is a high IQ-based quarterback coming from Dan Mullen's system down in Gainesville. The production lived up in 2020 after coming in for Felipe Franks last season.

Most of Trask's success came with a clean pocket and a star-studded supporting cast to work after the catch. Few would describe his arm as pinpoint accurate and his lack of mobility makes him limited when things go haywire. 

He's a project, but he could have upside should Washington focus on the keeping the offensive line as the x-factor. 

Turner's system will be looking for a quarterback who can react quick and deliver a perfect strike. That's where Mills thrived best in Palo Alto. As a two-year starter, the former Cardinal can assess a situation early, connect downfield and have the confidence to throw on target. 

The biggest area of concern? His quickness. Sometimes Mills will decide where the ball his headed without waiting for the play to unfold a second longer. That led to multiple turnovers during his time in college. 

He has all the skills to be great, but learning the "dos" and "don'ts" of passing will be essential. 

ROUND 4: Kellen Mond, Texas A&M

One look at Mond's arm strength shows he can extend plays deep downfield for massive gains in any system. The former Aggie also vastly understands the concepts needed to play at the next level.

Mond's biggest flaw is his growth. After being the starter for four seasons in College Station, there's just been flashes of the ultimate product. Was it coaching? Lack of weapons? Trust? 

Mond's a risk no matter where he lands, but we wonder if his upside and pure strength could make him the next Dak Prescott. 

ROUND 5: Sam Ehlinger, Texas 

Ehlinger need to become better as an intermediate passer. His ability to evade pressure and use his legs will work at the next level. His overall arm strength will rely on pinpoint accuracy. 

Fitzpatrick could teach the ropes of connecting for accuracy, but even then it might be just enough for a high-end backup.  

ROUND 6: Ian Book, Notre Dame 

From a leadership standpoint, Book might be the best quarterback in this class. He's gusty, though and is willing to put the team on his back. Sometimes, it's too much that leads to forced plays downfield in tight coverage. 

Book might be the best of the late bunch, but he needs to improve on his touch and vision to be a quality name in the NFL. 

ROUND 7: Feleipe Franks, Arkansas 

The stereotypical quarterback with a great size and good arm strength, Franks fits most systems. While he looks the part of a quarterback, his accuracy and overall vision aren't up to par. 

Franks has to get better at going through his progressions and delivering cleaner strikes. Still, off size alone, Rivera and Turner would have something to work with.

And that's the thesis here: Fitzpatrick as the master ... and a search for a worthy apprentice. 

Out of Trask and Mills, I'd take Mills. After watching tape on both of them, Mills seems to me to have more of the "IT" factor. Trask really reminds me of a poor mans tim tebow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Mills seem like he’s a high ceiling prospect, but the selection is also risky with significant investment required on his development. Be nice to get such a pick at the top of day three instead of in the 3rd round.

• Like 1