Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Phi has 260+ mil on the books next yr. If the cap goes all the way down to 175, between their already scheduled payment and the space needed to bring in rookies, Phi will have to shed 100mil dollars in salary. 

Dal has abut 170+ commited next yr, but that would be a team with no QB. No Dak. No Dalton. with a 175 Cap, they also have No money

tenor.gif

9 minutes ago, method man said:

What happened to Piersbacher? Practice squad?

That's my thought.  Or just straight up cut.  He's not quite athletic enough to do what the other OL we've brought in recently can do.  Charles and Ishmael both have quick feet and are supposed to be good in space.  I imagine with all of the misdirection we have going on with Sims, Gibson, and McKissic that we'll need the OL to be able to move.

5 hours ago, Panninho said:

a healthy Reed

There are a few mythical creatures we've all heard about, but have never seen; Sasquatch, Centaurs, Bigfoot....

...and a healthy Jordan Reed.

My money is on seeing Sasquatch first, but we'll see.

24 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The biggest bum of the lot :silly:

I think it really will depend on what they see. I suspect Rivera knows how important it is to protect the QB. It's probably even more important to protect a young QB whose decision making may be a beat slower. If The coaches think the Oline is suspect then I think they go for another Donald Penn type player. If they think the o-line can grade out as average I think they hold and roll with what they have.

Right now, I think our o-lines ceiling is a C/C+. If it's worse than that then you have to act or you won't know if your franchise QB is a franchise QB.

Rivera/Turner said early in the off-season that they believe the best way to protect Haskins and make things easier for him, is to have a strong and versatile RB group.  I think drafting Gibson and signing McKissic play into that heavily.

Now if the o-line continues to look average at the end of 2020, we probably invest more in it for 2021.  At a certain point game situation can dictate more of a straight drop back game.  Misdirection and trickery isn't going to play as well during a 2 minute drill, or down on the scoreboard in the 4th quarter.

I do wonder, if we had signed Amari Cooper, would we have drafted OL instead of Antonio Gibson?

On my way home today, I saw some guy in a nice Mercedes, with a license plate that literally read "Cat Puu Puu". I kid you not. I thought it was ridiculous, but then I thought maybe he was just a Washington fan who was describing our offensive line.

Gonna be a long year if the guys we have don't start performing better.

5 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Gonna be a long year if they guys we have don't start performing better.

That will be the biggest thing to hold us back. The LBs aren't that impressive either, but I think our DL will make them look much better than they are. I kinda like our secondary, especially if Troy Apke is actually improving and not pulling a Taylor Jacobs.

11 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Rivera/Turner said early in the off-season that they believe the best way to protect Haskins and make things easier for him, is to have a strong and versatile RB group.  I think drafting Gibson and signing McKissic play into that heavily.

Now if the o-line continues to look average at the end of 2020, we probably invest more in it for 2021.  At a certain point game situation can dictate more of a straight drop back game.  Misdirection and trickery isn't going to play as well during a 2 minute drill, or down on the scoreboard in the 4th quarter.

I do wonder, if we had signed Amari Cooper, would we have drafted OL instead of Antonio Gibson?

The game plan is obvious. Rely on what should be a dominant defense. Wear the opposing teams defense down by chasing Gibson/McKissic/Love down all day then pound the rock with AP when their legs give out. Scheming around a weak Oline that could overachieve against a tired defense. 

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

So you have AGG beating out Cam Sims and all the others because he likely would get scooped up by another team. Makes sense but I am not so sure AGG would get signed by someone else and put on the roster. If he cant make it here then where? We have arguably the worst (proven) group of WR's in the NFL. Sims looks like he may be outplaying AGG based on reports...maybe, like you said, the coaches get creative and mix and match in places? 

You may be right, i personally see AGG getting grabbed faster than Cam Sims but could be shiny new toy syndrome.  I also lean toward the fact that Rivera was here when we drafted AGG, not Sims.  

But it's pretty clear we need to play close games and win the turnover battle? We do not have the high scoring O or an O that can grind the clock. I think if our D is consistent we win if we get a couple of big play from Terry and a RB. We lose if we can't create a couple of does.

We will be walking a very fine line. 

5 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I didn't even think about this, that's a huge chunk of cap to take away, seems like 2/3 of the league would be in trouble in that scenario.

Like i said in my post and UK pointed out, there are conversations going on to at a minimum put a floor of $175 mil but youre still losing 10% of your cap if thats what ultimately happens

Cam seems to perform in practice and not during the games.  Wasn't he on the bubble to make the 53 going into an important preseason game last year and then had multiple drops?  Some guys just can't turn it on under the big lights.  They're the lights off type of guy 😉

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

But it's pretty clear we need to play close games and win the turnover battle? We do not have the high scoring O or an O that can grind the clock. I think if our D is consistent we win if we get a couple of big play from Terry and a RB. We lose if we can't create a couple of does.

We will be walking a very fine line. 

Im not selling the O short just yet.  New scheme, better coaching, and some proven talent.

32 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Cam seems to perform in practice and not during the games.  Wasn't he on the bubble to make the 53 going into an important preseason game last year and then had multiple drops?  Some guys just can't turn it on under the big lights.  They're the lights off type of guy 😉

Not really.  In his first two years, Cam was always a seven with a potential to be 6 if his teams play was good.  In year 1, he was behind Docston and Harris as the big guy and was not the teams guy that someone like Quick or Quinn were.  He also was injured.  Last year, he was behind Harmon and Davis while there were others who were much more impressive on teams.

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Like i said in my post and UK pointed out, there are conversations going on to at a minimum put a floor of $175 mil but youre still losing 10% of your cap if thats what ultimately happens

as I've heard that's already been agreed to

I don't know much about the cap but I'd be very surprised if the nfl allowed the cap to get to a point where all the best teams in the league had to shred their rosters to get below it.

It would be so bad from a public relations standpoint, think about how angry fans would get if their teams had to completely dismantle unexpectedly and to no fault of their doing.

Maybe I'm crazy but I see the owners taking a hit on this one and the cap staying relatively close to where it was expected to be or at minimum just slightly lower so only dead weight has to be cut.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I see the owners taking a hit

Owners in any league rarely ever just “take a hit”. They will want something in return. Be it the 18 game schedule, expanded playoffs, pushing back the reduction of preseason games, something. They will never willing let go of house money. The salary cap is set by previous revenue. If that goes down, so does the cap. They have given about as much succession as they will on the matter by installing a cap floor already.  

58 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Don't look now, but Sean Davis is quietly having a quiet camp

Wow, I didn’t hear him at all. Might be time to go back and pick up my ears that fell off a mile back.

Not the worst thing in the world in this specific case. Quiet is good for a free safety. He may not be flashing, but its not like he is letting up bombs every other play or blowing pursuit angles. Just doing his job and being solid. If you don't hear his name, he probably did something right.

53 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I don't know much about the cap but I'd be very surprised if the nfl allowed the cap to get to a point where all the best teams in the league had to shred their rosters to get below it.

It would be so bad from a public relations standpoint, think about how angry fans would get if their teams had to completely dismantle unexpectedly and to no fault of their doing.

Maybe I'm crazy but I see the owners taking a hit on this one and the cap staying relatively close to where it was expected to be or at minimum just slightly lower so only dead weight has to be cut.

one of the biggest issues is the fact that the cap and most contracts aren't designed to have to reduce things that way.

But the Redskins should be in decent shape.  We're 22 million under next year's floor, we're 31 million under the current one and we'll save a lot letting go of Smith.  If rollover is allowed we'd be sitting pretty

9 minutes ago, volsmet said:

How many teams have had the best defense - & worst offense - in the nfl. 

Gotta be difficult to pull off since a horrible offense puts so much extra and unnecessary pressure (and minutes on the field) on a defense that may otherwise play even better—especially if they rarely get a chance to pin their ears back and go to town on the QB. On the other hand, teams with bad offenses sometimes end up in lower scoring games where the other team doesn’t need to pass like crazy, leading to inflated defensive stats like a lower yards allowed than you’d expect bc the other team isn’t racking up stats unless turnovers turn it into a blowout. 

In conclusion, I have no idea. A truly bad offense can impact a defense in so many different ways. 

Archived