Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

44 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Yep, let Ron also know that I'm open to trading a draft pick for your mother. We need help at OL too. How's her footwork and hand usage?

Yeeeah, no that’s not going to fly here, brother. 

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I seen that video a bunch of times already, but I just now realized, Davis is even coaching Haskins ! 😀

at 1:27

"You better stop starin, bro, or I'm fixin to put brother to sleep on that crossin route !"

Also crazy how much bigger Haskins looks than Davis in that clip. 

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

At this point in TC, considering how the OL is reportedly doing so poorly, I'd like to think that they're concentrating more on their fundamental responsibilities, than trick plays.

Unless they've given up on the Line's ability to consistently perform fundamentals, that have to rely on trick plays to get us out of the rut, on offense :)

Regarding a Jumbo package, I'd love to see Tim Settle out there on offense for a gadget play.

Except they were running deep ins with OL with Scherff throwing the ball.  So, clearly there's some trickeration going on.

I see it now... Scherff lines up as an eligible receiver on the end of the line.  He runs around and takes a toss from Haskins, and then fires down field to Settle who's was also lined up as a tackle eligible on the other side of the line. I GUARANTEE you it will work EVERY SINGLE TIME.  

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

You say this, but there was no hype last year. Heck, I was so downtrodden I picked us to go 4-12.

And it turned out you were over-selling the team.

I remember predicting 7-9.  Because Jay always seemed to luck into 7-9.  As an interesting fact, for a coach who was always flirting with 8-8, he never actually got to 8-8.  If you toss out year 1, which I think is appropriate given the Griffin debacle, he went 9-7, 8-7-1, 7-9, 7-9, and then debacle again. He came within half a game of .500 in 2016, but failed with a tie.  Came within 1 game 3 times, but just couldn't quite pull it off.  It's astounding, actually.  

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I can't remember what my prediction was for last season, maybe 5-11 to 6-10?  Thought the run game and defense were going to be good enough to keep us competitive in enough games.  Whoops.  Manusky special and Club Jay.

Yeah, I knew Manusky was going to be a problem. However, I thought he would be about the same level problem as he had been the previous 2 years, where the team was 1 game under .500 each time.  I didn't expect a complete and total implosion.  I was wrong.  Ooops.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This whole Cam Sims thing is starting to feel like deja vu.  It seems to happen every single year, then he has a bad pre-season game or something and gets cut, only to be brought back later.

I wonder if he's going to actually stick this year.  He's been close a number of times.

I haven't read anywhere, does Cam play special teams?  Because they are going to need WRs 4 and 5 to play special teams. 

I wonder if Cam has an outside shot of rotating into the other outside WR spot. 

S. Sims really needs a WR2 to emerge so McLaurin and WR2 can pull coverage outside, which would leave the middle for him, the RB and possibly Logan Thomas.  Or him and Gibson.  Or something.

But if WR2 doesn't emerge, it's going to be like the year we thought whatshisnugget Jay loved so much who shouldn't have been a starter but was on the outside, where the defense basically put their second best DB on him, and he was essentially covered, and forgot about him. I just remembered.  Ryan Grant.  Grant took more catches away from Jordan Reed than the defense did.  Because it allowed the defense to essentially flow to the middle of the field and clog up the running game because they had absolutely no fear of Grant at all.  

That situation was worse, because the guy on the other side stunk also.  

1 hour ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Yep, let Ron also know that I'm open to trading a draft pick for your mother. We need help at OL too. How's her footwork and hand usage?

Lol..not trying to instigate things but I was wondering how you would respond..good for u

Apke's quote here is promising.  I'm sure other players who were here under Manusky feel the same way.  Hopefully, it leads to faster, more instinctual play for the defense, with less mental mistakes.

Apke felt anything but natural during his first two seasons. A hamstring injury wiped out the majority of his rookie campaign, and he played primarily on special teams in 2019 before starting two games late in the season. Apke credits the new coaching staff for helping him take the next step.

“(I’m) probably just a lot more comfortable out there,” Apke said Monday. “I think [defensive backs coach Chris] Harris and [defensive coordinator Jack] Del Rio have done a good job of explaining the defense. Me going out there and being able to communicate everything with everyone out there, that’s where I feel different I believe.”

https://theathletic.com/2020465/2020/08/24/wft-training-camp-observations-day-6-the-qb-competition-that-matters-most/?source=emp-shared-article

Rookie receivers tearing up the league is still relatively uncommon. That's what got me excited about McClaurin, Simms, and Harmon. All did more than flash as rookies under really bad circumstances. The three formed a credible receiving corp at the end of last year with no tight end and not much of a running game. It's okay if it takes AGG a year to understand how to be a receiver in the NFL. In fact, it's normal. 

It's probably harder for a guy like AGG to break out because he lacks exceptional (or even good) speed, so his route running and understanding of how the defense is playing him has to be perfect for him to get separation. There have been successful big slow receivers in the NFL, but I suspect they were all technicians or had hyper-accurate QBs.

1 hour ago, max21 said:

Where did you read/see this? 

One of the beat guys came on 106.7 the other day and said that the biggest thing that 'stands out' about AGG is his blocking.. which is less than ideal when you're talking about a guy we were hoping would press Inman for the starting spot opposite Terry.  Presuming SIMS JR is in the slot, the feeling that I've gotten following from a far is that Inman has left a wide gap between him and everyone else.  Inman's name comes up far more frequently than AGG.  

I do think AGG can continue to come on, but I don't think it's fair for anyone to disregard the fact that there was no offseason.  AGG coming out of Liberty also limited his exposure to premier DB play, so understanding that level of competition can have a bit of curve.  

2 hours ago, max21 said:

Where did you read/see this? 

I didn’t read anything particularly bad about AGG. He’s just been mostly invisible in camp reports other than one dropped ball I read about. You don’t hear anything at all about him. You hear far more, for instance, about Cam Sims. 

28 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

One of the beat guys came on 106.7 the other day and said that the biggest thing that 'stands out' about AGG is his blocking.. which is less than ideal when you're talking about a guy we were hoping would press Inman for the starting spot opposite Terry.  Presuming SIMS JR is in the slot, the feeling that I've gotten following from a far is that Inman has left a wide gap between him and everyone else.  Inman's name comes up far more frequently than AGG.  

I do think AGG can continue to come on, but I don't think it's fair for anyone to disregard the fact that there was no offseason.  AGG coming out of Liberty also limited his exposure to premier DB play, so understanding that level of competition can have a bit of curve.  

If this is the case, I'd bet we may even sign another vet receiver who is released from somewhere else and maybe someone like AGG goes to the practice squad? I just don't see legit NFL depth with our WR's....

Archived