Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

52 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Gotta be difficult to pull off since a horrible offense puts so much extra and unnecessary pressure (and minutes on the field) on a defense that may otherwise play even better—especially if they rarely get a chance to pin their ears back and go to town on the QB. On the other hand, teams with bad offenses sometimes end up in lower scoring games where the other team doesn’t need to pass like crazy, leading to inflated defensive stats like a lower yards allowed than you’d expect bc the other team isn’t racking up stats unless turnovers turn it into a blowout. 

In conclusion, I have no idea. A truly bad offense can impact a defense in so many different ways. 

Ironically, our O-line could be what keeps Chase from winning ROY.

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

How many teams have had the best defense - & worst offense - in the nfl. 

In 1999-2000, Ravens had the 1st ranked defense and the 27th ranked offense by DVOA.  Probably the closest example. 

In recent times, Bears had the 1st ranked defense and the 20th ranked offense in 2018. 

I’d be shocked if our defense even finishes top 5 this year. I’d be happy with top 10. And I’d be happy with top 20 from the offense. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

In 1999-2000, Ravens had the 1st ranked defense and the 27th ranked offense by DVOA.  Probably the closest example. 

In recent times, Bears had the 1st ranked defense and the 20th ranked offense in 2018. 

I’d be shocked if our defense even finishes top 5 this year. I’d be happy with top 10. And I’d be happy with top 20 from the offense. 

I'd have guessed the Ravens would be close. If you go by fewest points scored (worst offense) and fewest points conceded (best defense) then looking over the start of the 2000s it doesn't appear to be uncommon for teams to end up in the bottom and top 5 e.g. Panthers in 2002, us in 2004, Dolphins in 2006 (stopped looking after 2009 for coffee ;) )

8 hours ago, volsmet said:

Before coming to the Redskins, Sam Huff headed up a very strong New York Giants defense.  Story goes that one time, after getting the ball back on a turnover, Sam Huff hollered at Y. A. Tittle, the Giants QB, as the defense headed off the field and the offense was heading on:  "Hold 'em!"

9 hours ago, volsmet said:

By DVOA, the Steelers last season had the #3 Defense and the #32 Offense.

16 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

He isn't going to be on the field Week 1

You think he's going to reinjure the hip?  Not having faith in the new training staff?

25 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Our offense will be better than last year in almost every category.. I know it’s not saying much, but that’s my hot take. Lol. 

It will be interesting to see what Turner does, he called a pass on nearly 70% of first downs, not exactly Grudenish. He also likes to simplify as much as he’s able, he will let/encourage Haskins to go to TM any time he reads 1 v 1 coverage. 

No chance our D finishes top 5. Way too many holes. A top 5 D basically has solid starters at the very worst in every position with at least a couple game changers. We might have one game changer in Young and he's a rook. If we finish top 10 Jack Del Rio should get a pay raise.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

No chance our D finishes top 5. Way too many holes. A top 5 D basically has solid starters at the very worst in every position with at least a couple game changers. We might have one game changer in Young and he's a rook. If we finish top 10 Jack Del Rio should get a pay raise.

As long as those perceived holes are young elite athletes there’s a chance. The Skins have gotten caught up in having try hard guys at too many spots resulting in wide open windows consistently throughout games. This regime does not operate with that type of philosophy, which is refreshing and hopefully will lead to perceived holes being mitigated by having top flight athletes flying around. Obviously, you must have the elite talents leading the charge. 

For example, Apke, Darby, Morneau, and KP may qualify as holes, but all are elite athletes at their positions. The hope would be with a system and clear expectations they can thrive and be “solid” contributors. 

With that said, top 5 is asking a lot, but teams make huge swings defensively, so you never know.  

38 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think if Chase plays up to expectations there’s a chance at top 5 but I agree about top ten. Maybe if Darby shows old form and because a good corner again. I think having one lock-down cb is paramount.

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

By DVOA, the Steelers last season had the #3 Defense and the #32 Offense.

You think he's going to reinjure the hip?  Not having faith in the new training staff?

Out for precautionary reasons hip flexor still isn't 100% this is complete guessing and going off of past experience can't have anything nice type thing

26 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Maybe if Darby shows old form and because a good corner again.

He seems to be showing that in camp.

And then of course, there's the added advantage of his familiarity with, and knowing the tendencies of Wentz, Pederson, etc.

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

He isn't going to be on the field Week 1

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

We can still beat Philly without Young.

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

It will be interesting to see what Turner does, he called a pass on nearly 70% of first downs, not exactly Grudenish. He also likes to simplify as much as he’s able, he will let/encourage Haskins to go to TM any time he reads 1 v 1 coverage. 

Yeah it will. And yeah he did pass a lot. But Norv always found a way to run the ball, I’m sure Scott will too. You gotta think Turner has been waiting for this opportunity for like, his whole life. The thing that has me stoked is he said he’s gonna cater the offense to the players he has.

I’m sure he gave input & the 👍🏽 into everyone we drafted. I know everyone says talks the catering stuff, but I never really got that feel from Jay. It seems like once Established OC’s have their system, it is what it is. And his was pretty established. 

Scott will be starting new, building it out for the first time. I’m excited for him and what he’s gonna bring to the table, just cuz I expect it to fresh and outside of the box a bit. Every time we touch the ball we should be looking to score TD’s, no matter where we are on the field. BAMN. I didn’t always feel that way with J, and I liked Jay. Thought he settled too much and played it safe, for a variety of reasons I’m sure.

Also we have nothing to lose this year, so let it rip Scott! 

37 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He seems to be showing that in camp.

And then of course, there's the added advantage of his familiarity with, and knowing the tendencies of Wentz, Pederson, etc.

We can still beat Philly without Young.

I know..y'all the ones worried not me

Q&A Session on the Athletic.  The gist:

Offense:

Steven Sims looks to have made the leap we all thought he would.  Antonio Gibson looks really good.  McKissic looks useful.  The scheme uses these guys well.  But beyond these 3 guys + Scary Terry, nobody looks immediately productive in the passing game for WR's and RB's.  They didn't mention TE's.  Maybe for a reason, or maybe because none of the questions were phrased in a way to include TE's.

Seems to be a clear talent gap between players at LT and LG compared to C, RG, and RT.  Pierschbacher has never played with the 1's yet.  Not a good look there.  Schweitzer and Charles missing is hurting the ability to evaluate the LT and LG spots.

Defense:

- Reuben and Smith (QB) don't look like their old selves yet.

- There isn't a OT on the roster that can handle Sweat.  He appears to have developed.

- LB group is still highly competitive for playing time.  It's between 5 LB's, Bostic, SDH, KPL, Holcomb, and Davis.  That group hasn't settled anything yet whereas the rest of the depth chart seems to have.

Both Ben and Rhiannon think the offense will go as far as it can before the LT and LG situation sinks it.  Which is a surprisingly good look.  Seems like the TE group and WR3 issues might not be a net-minus after all.  They may not help, but if they don't hurt either...

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The fact that our offense may suck royally could help if it encourages teams to play conservatively.

It may be a case where we are top five in yards allowed or points, but not a top 5 in ability... (which of course is impossible to measure objectively)

9 hours ago, wit33 said:

As long as those perceived holes are young elite athletes there’s a chance. The Skins have gotten caught up in having try hard guys at too many spots resulting in wide open windows consistently throughout games. This regime does not operate with that type of philosophy, which is refreshing and hopefully will lead to perceived holes being mitigated by having top flight athletes flying around. Obviously, you must have the elite talents leading the charge. 

For example, Apke, Darby, Morneau, and KP may qualify as holes, but all are elite athletes at their positions. The hope would be with a system and clear expectations they can thrive and be “solid” contributors. 

With that said, top 5 is asking a lot, but teams make huge swings defensively, so you never know.  

We also have Montez Sweat who I think will make a leap.  Chase isn’t the only game changer imo.  I expect Fuller to have a nice homecoming season also.

Archived