Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Very happy to see Logan Thomas doing well.  It feels like ages since we had a viable threat at TE.  To be clear, I'm not expecting some top 5 or even top 10 TE performance from LT, but having a viable option - someone the defense needs to account for and not simply ignore - will make a world of difference for the team.  

At this point in my football fandom, I don’t really put much stock into training camp performances. It never has any correlation to the earning of starting positions (even though we all hear about open competitions) or regular season stats.

At best it’s about filling out the bottom of the roster and special teams.

Looking back at the Ron Rivera time with the Panthers, he never really had a outstanding wide out outside of Steve Smith( I think Steve Smith was there with him) don't know if he value's that as much, seem like Wideouts and Corners he don't really value as much

2 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

Looking back at the Ron Rivera time with the Panthers, he never really had a outstanding wide out outside of Steve Smith( I think Steve Smith was there with him) don't know if he value's that as much, seem like Wideouts and Corners he don't really value as much

Well he wanted to sign Amari Cooper this offseason and they drafted Kelvin Benjamin, DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel in the top 40 so I don't think that's true for WR.

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

At this point in my football fandom, I don’t really put much stock into training camp performances. It never has any correlation to the earning of starting positions (even though we all hear about open competitions) or regular season stats.

At best it’s about filling out the bottom of the roster and special teams.

Fair enough.  I learned a hard lesson with the reports that had Terrell Pryor looking like the second coming of Megatron a few years ago.  But I do think this year is different than most in terms of the correlation between performance and starting slots / potential playing time for several positions.  Between the new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes, and lots of roster turn over I think the training camp performances mean a little bit more this year.  

55 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If this is the case, I'd bet we may even sign another vet receiver who is released from somewhere else and maybe someone like AGG goes to the practice squad? I just don't see legit NFL depth with our WR's....

I don't see us doing anything at all actually.  I think Inman has shown enough to be starting opposite Mclaurin, and Sims will hold down the slot.  IMHO, Rivera knows that this is year 1 of likely a 2 - 3 year project, depending on how Haskins comes along.  Adding a WR that does not look to contribute in 2022 doesn't do us any good.  It just takes away reps and report between Haskins and the young bucks.  

With GIbson and McKissic looking good so far in camp, I could see us carrying 5 Wrs.  Mclaurin, Inman, Sims, AGG, Wright (because of special teams unless Quinn beats him out there).  Gibson and McKissic likely see their fair share of targets on the outside.  Carrying 5 WRs likely allows us to carry 5 RBs too.  Peterson, Gibson, Love, McKissic, Barber.  The lack of a lead dog at TE opens the door that we need to get more of that short yardage pass game from the backfield... so carrying 2 hybrid RBs allows for that as well. 

I don't see AGG making it to the PS, someone will grab him and put them on their active roster.   Our WR room likely will not have 'legit NFL depth' this season, but utilizing other areas can carry us through this season and into next off season where we likely see a bigger emphasis on top end Offensive talent.   The cap is rumored to be dropping as much as $40 mil next year, so this works in our favor on two different fronts.  1, whatever money we DON'T spend this year can carry over to next year, and 2, there will likely be cap casualties that are unexpected next off season.  Carrying money over and having more than anyone else can make us major players in free agency in a year where players will be taking less money because there will be less money to go around.   Now there are reports that the NFLPA wants a flat cap to keep it the same, and the NFL wants a cap FLOOR around $175 mil, but it's all based on revenue.  The players could use this cap drop as a bargaining chip against 18 games for another year or two... but that's a convo for a different thread. 

Long story short, It might make the most sense to ride with AGG knowing you have Harmon on the shelf for next off season, since it's unlikely we are a WR away from relevance.  Test our the young guns over the course of the year and see what falls in our laps next free agency.  If not, look to draft one high and continue to build.  

I’m confused why beat guys seem insistent on saying Love essentially looks all the way “back” when to me he clearly still doesn’t look the same. Which is fine, it’s kinda to be expected. Except that people there keep specifically calling out that he IS back to the same...I just don’t see it.

12 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

The cap is rumored to be dropping as much as $40 mil next year

I didn't even think about this, that's a huge chunk of cap to take away, seems like 2/3 of the league would be in trouble in that scenario.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I didn't even think about this, that's a huge chunk of cap to take away, seems like 2/3 of the league would be in trouble in that scenario.

it’s not dropping by 40mil really.

2020 cap 198m

2021 the NFL and NFLPA agreed a floor of 175m for the cap

2021 may not go as low as that 175m but that will be dictated by revenue losses that are being spread over 3 season being 2021-2023.

the underlying issue league wide would be the assumptions that the 2021 cap could have risen to say 210m pre COVID-19.

therefore you have planned for a cap that is potentially 35m lower than you would like.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

it’s not dropping by 40mil really.

2020 cap 198m

2021 the NFL and NFLPA agreed a floor of 175m for the cap

2021 may not go as low as that 175m but that will be dictated by revenue losses that are being spread over 3 season being 2021-2023.

the underlying issue league wide would be the assumptions that the 2021 cap could have risen to say 210m pre COVID-19.

therefore you have planned for a cap that is potentially 35m lower than you would like.

I gotcha, so their not raising that cap as much as they typically would, I thought you meant they were lowering the 2021 cap ceiling because of expected losses.

Archived