Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

41 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Seems like Wes Martin is having a rough time. We’re going to need some significant investment along the OL in 2021.

It sounds like his run blocking is alright but his pass blocking can't hang with our DT's.  And frankly, Daron Payne can do stuff in a 1 gap scheme that most DT's can't.  Payne's combine proved the college film, he had a phenomenal 1st step off the line.

He's going to have a breakout year.  He was drafted in the 1st because he could do everything asked of him, but also because he had legit pass rushing talent if used correctly.

Why Jay and Manusky drafted him in the 1st and then only ever wanted him to 2 gap I have no idea.  It's intentionally shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm going to be honest, I'd be pretty disappointed if Daron Payne, in a 1 gap scheme, wasn't beating Wes Martin.  We want Martin to help the o-line immediately.  But he was a 4th round pick compared to Payne as a 1st rounder.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I don't see us doing anything at all actually.  I think Inman has shown enough to be starting opposite Mclaurin, and Sims will hold down the slot.  IMHO, Rivera knows that this is year 1 of likely a 2 - 3 year project, depending on how Haskins comes along.  Adding a WR that does not look to contribute in 2022 doesn't do us any good.  It just takes away reps and report between Haskins and the young bucks.  

With GIbson and McKissic looking good so far in camp, I could see us carrying 5 Wrs.  Mclaurin, Inman, Sims, AGG, Wright (because of special teams unless Quinn beats him out there).  Gibson and McKissic likely see their fair share of targets on the outside.  Carrying 5 WRs likely allows us to carry 5 RBs too.  Peterson, Gibson, Love, McKissic, Barber.  The lack of a lead dog at TE opens the door that we need to get more of that short yardage pass game from the backfield... so carrying 2 hybrid RBs allows for that as well. 

I don't see AGG making it to the PS, someone will grab him and put them on their active roster.   Our WR room likely will not have 'legit NFL depth' this season, but utilizing other areas can carry us through this season and into next off season where we likely see a bigger emphasis on top end Offensive talent.   The cap is rumored to be dropping as much as $40 mil next year, so this works in our favor on two different fronts.  1, whatever money we DON'T spend this year can carry over to next year, and 2, there will likely be cap casualties that are unexpected next off season.  Carrying money over and having more than anyone else can make us major players in free agency in a year where players will be taking less money because there will be less money to go around.   Now there are reports that the NFLPA wants a flat cap to keep it the same, and the NFL wants a cap FLOOR around $175 mil, but it's all based on revenue.  The players could use this cap drop as a bargaining chip against 18 games for another year or two... but that's a convo for a different thread. 

Long story short, It might make the most sense to ride with AGG knowing you have Harmon on the shelf for next off season, since it's unlikely we are a WR away from relevance.  Test our the young guns over the course of the year and see what falls in our laps next free agency.  If not, look to draft one high and continue to build.  

So you have AGG beating out Cam Sims and all the others because he likely would get scooped up by another team. Makes sense but I am not so sure AGG would get signed by someone else and put on the roster. If he cant make it here then where? We have arguably the worst (proven) group of WR's in the NFL. Sims looks like he may be outplaying AGG based on reports...maybe, like you said, the coaches get creative and mix and match in places? 

10 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It sounds like his run blocking is alright but his pass blocking can't hang with our DT's.  And frankly, Daron Payne can do stuff in a 1 gap scheme that most DT's can't.  Payne's combine proved the college film, he had a phenomenal 1st step off the line.

He's going to have a breakout year.  He was drafted in the 1st because he could do everything asked of him, but also because he had legit pass rushing talent if used correctly.

Why Jay and Manusky drafted him in the 1st and then only ever wanted him to 2 gap I have no idea.  It's intentionally shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm going to be honest, I'd be pretty disappointed if Daron Payne, in a 1 gap scheme, wasn't beating Wes Martin.  We want Martin to help the o-line immediately.  But he was a 4th round pick compared to Payne as a 1st rounder.

Skins have 19 days and counting til the Eagles line up Fletcher Cox and Javon Hargraves over the middle of our line, two of the best in the league based on the numbers. It may be prudent to bet the under on this game cause the offenses are gonna have their hands full.

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Skins have 19 days and counting til the Eagles line up Fletcher Cox and Javon Hargraves over the middle of our line, two of the best in the league based on the numbers. It may be prudent to bet the under on this game cause the offenses are gonna have their hands full.

Don't forget Malik Jackson either.  Eagles probably have the highest paid group of DT's in the league.

9 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Is there a FB in the building?

Ryan Anderson

And Daron Payne better have a breakout year considering Derwin James and Tremaine Edmunds are studs.

Simply put, he needs to be that dominant force inside and the one to allow the rest of the interior the one-one-ones. I hope he is this teams Aaron Donald. 

1 minute ago, method man said:

Keep in mind that, given his short reach, Saahdiq Charles may end up being a better guard than tackle. If he is going to lose the LT battle to Christian, then maybe he can beat out Wes Martin to get his job once he gets going during the season.

Hold the phone, guess who was at LG with the 1st team today?

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Hold the phone, guess who was at LG with the 1st team today?

Glad for him! Reading Keim's profile on his last few months makes you root for the kid. I think he is ultimately the guy who takes over for Roullier but it'd be great to get him reps at the guard spot this season if he is up to the task

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Why Jay and Manusky drafted him in the 1st and then only ever wanted him to 2 gap I have no idea. 

I know why: they're ****ing idiots.

I think D-Payne is going to be a wrecking ball  this year. The more I pay attention to our d-line, the more excited I get

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I didn't even think about this, that's a huge chunk of cap to take away, seems like 2/3 of the league would be in trouble in that scenario.

Phi has 260+ mil on the books next yr. If the cap goes all the way down to 175, between their already scheduled payment and the space needed to bring in rookies, Phi will have to shed 100mil dollars in salary. Next time you are having a bad day, go cut 100 mil off Phi salary and see how much dead cap that generates. The practice is cathartic. Like an all you can eat brain buffet.

Dal has abut 170+ commited next yr, but that would be a team with no QB. No Dak. No Dalton. with a 175 Cap, they also have No money

Wash is positioned pretty nicely. We will be pretty comfortably above water and able to capitalize on other teams misfortune and cuts. I don’t forsee a lot of long term deals however. I can envision a lot of players wanting 1yr deals so they can cash in on a 2022 offseason, where all teams would have money and provide more competition for services.

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe it takes longer for an OL to build chemistry, than a DL ?

I'm hoping that's a big part of the reason that the OL is off to a rocky start.

Sounds like we lacked leadership on the O line, but still that mindset by Christian is an indictment on him, that's a loser mentality.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I really wouldn’t be surprised if we scavenged a guard or tackle when cuts are made. Maybe another guy with a year left in the tank who doesn’t want to retire. 

That was Donald Penn last year, and I'd rather not rely on that type of player again.

Christian

Moses

Charles

Lucas

Martin

Schweitzer

Roullier

Scherff

Ishmael

That's 9 players.  I don't think we keep 10 OL.  Who do we cut to bring in an aged and maybe should be retired guy?

25 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's 9 players.  I don't think we keep 10 OL.  Who do we cut to bring in an aged and maybe should be retired guy?

The biggest bum of the lot :silly:

I think it really will depend on what they see. I suspect Rivera knows how important it is to protect the QB. It's probably even more important to protect a young QB whose decision making may be a beat slower. If The coaches think the Oline is suspect then I think they go for another Donald Penn type player. If they think the o-line can grade out as average I think they hold and roll with what they have.

Right now, I think our o-lines ceiling is a C/C+. If it's worse than that then you have to act or you won't know if your franchise QB is a franchise QB.

41 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That was Donald Penn last year, and I'd rather not rely on that type of player again.

Christian

Moses

Charles

Lucas

Martin

Schweitzer

Roullier

Scherff

Ishmael

What happened to Piersbacher? Practice squad?

Archived