Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

I'm high on Apke. And Davis really. Honestly this might be the first time since area 51 that I'm excited to watch our Safeties. Everett is the ST Captain and much much better there, But Collins, Apke and Davis are formidable, fast hitters. Could really come in handy if our CB or LB Unit struggle.

Read that roster article Sip posted. No surprises at all. Anderson call be our FB, LBer, DE. Of course he makes the team. The new OMG.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm high on Apke. And Davis really. Honestly this might be the first time since area 51 that I'm excited to watch our Safeties. Everett is the ST Captain and much much better there, But Collins, Apke and Davis are formidable, fast hitters. Could really come in handy if our CB or LB Unit struggle.

Read that roster article Sip posted. No surprises at all. Anderson call be our FB, LBer, DE. Of course he makes the team. The new OMG.

I was high on Nicholson and Swearinger.  But we know how that went.

Davis is supposed to be a decent starting FS, so if Apke is firmly ahead that does bode well.  That said, Davis (and Apke) were known to have issues with angles to ballcarriers.  So we shall see.  I think I'm fairly excited for better communication and understanding of roles for the LB's and Landon Collins.  Last season they kept looking and pointing at each other, and then some offensive player would not be picked up.

But we re-signed Bostic, so the current coaches must think the previous coaches just sucked at their jobs.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Went through it.  Some tidbits.

Standig thinks these dudes are in trouble (either bad camp or others are in better favor)  Reuben Foster, Jeremy Sprinkle, Schweitzer (injury), Lucas

Interesting that Foster hasn't just claimed that spot. I wonder if he's just lost a step from the injury, he just needs more time to get back to his old self, or there is no excuse like that and he's just being outperformed.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

But we re-signed Bostic, so the current coaches must think the previous coaches just sucked at their jobs.

This is where I'm placing my hope... The Washington WTF's may decide to dash them with impunity... such is the life of a WTF fan

9 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

This is where I'm placing my hope... The Washington WTF's may decide to dash them with impunity... such is the life of a WTF fan

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Davis is supposed to be a decent starting FS, so if Apke is firmly ahead that does bode well.  That said, Davis (and Apke) were known to have issues with angles to ballcarriers.  So we shall see.  I think I'm fairly excited for better communication and understanding of roles for the LB's and Landon Collins.  Last season they kept looking and pointing at each other, and then some offensive player would not be picked up.

The communication was just so bad last year. No hustle except from a few younger guys because of slack practice. Just feels like these guys want to be coached tough and are just going to be more solid as a unit.

• The Athletic's Ben Standig reports RB Bryce Love would not make the team if Washington decides to keep just three running backs headed into the season.

Standig said pass-catching back J.D. McKissick's "spot on the team and the game plan appears secure." He added the Football Team "may keep four backs on the gameday roster since [offensive coordinator Scott] Turner’s system uses plenty of two-back sets. If the decision is only three, it’s Peterson, Gibson and McKissic." Love failing to make the Washington roster would be a surprise after weeks of positive practice reports. Peterson, per Standig, is locked in as the team's early down back. The 35-year-old is available in the 10th round of seasonal leagues. 

T

•  

20 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Interesting that Foster hasn't just claimed that spot. I wonder if he's just lost a step from the injury, he just needs more time to get back to his old self, or there is no excuse like that and he's just being outperformed.

I think, as with Jaylon Smith coming back from a similar injury for the Cowboys, it will take a year or so before he returns to form.

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:
  • The Athletic's Ben Standig reports RB Bryce Love would not make the team if Washington decides to keep just three running backs headed into the season.

Standig said pass-catching back J.D. McKissick's "spot on the team and the game plan appears secure." He added the Football Team "may keep four backs on the gameday roster since [offensive coordinator Scott] Turner’s system uses plenty of two-back sets. If the decision is only three, it’s Peterson, Gibson and McKissic." Love failing to make the Washington roster would be a surprise after weeks of positive practice reports. Peterson, per Standig, is locked in as the team's early down back. The 35-year-old is available in the 10th round of seasonal leagues. 

T
  •  

That would be extremely idiotic short-term thinking if we released Love in favor of keeping AP.  Thankfully, I don't think it will come to that choice.

The McKissic lovefest that seems to be occurring at TC is interesting to me considering how more or less irrelevant he's been so far in his career. 4 years on 2 teams with a total of 402 rushing yards and 1 rushing TD. His pass catching was a bit better at 515 total receiving yards and 3 receiving TDs.

Maybe he just didn't find the right team yet? Or maybe our other RBs are just that bad? Or maybe he's just not that great? It seems like it happens often (though it's certainly not exclusive to our team)...a guy who did very little on other teams comes in and we somehow think he'll suddenly turn into something that he never showed before. 

Who knows, maybe we'll just get really lucky this time. At least I have more faith in the evaluation abilities of Rivera and Turner vs Bruce and Jay "I love me some Samaje and Ryan Grant" Gruden.

6 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

T

•  

If AP were to go down, you can't feel good about either McKissic (solely a 3rd down back) or Gibson (raw at the position) starting. Love is an every down back, however. I don't get the Barber love - comparable guys like that will be out there if needed

40 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Nicholson and DJ were both pretty good safeties IMO. Unfortunately they were also both knuckleheads (though I can't say I really blame DJ for talking **** about Manusky).

I do also like Apke and he seems to have good speed and a decent nose for the ball...but good lord you could see some of his bad angles from a mile away at times and it was really cringe worthy. Hopefully that's something he's cleaned up because I have no clue how a human can inherently suck that bad at geometry. 

Surprised that Love is not expected to make the roster, by some.

I'm guessing the staff may have found that he lost a significant amount of his burst, since his injury. At least I hope that's the reason.

I can't think of any other good reason not to keep him. He may not show the savvy of McKissic, but Love is still young, and he can develop and mature into something good,

if he hasn't lost much of his speed.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm guessing the staff may have found that he lost a significant amount of his burst, since his injury. At least I hope that's the reason.

I can't think of any other good reason not to keep him. He may not show the savvy of McKissic, but Love is still young, and he can develop and mature into something good,

That article got exactly what it wanted... clicks.

I would be floored if we only carried 3 Rbs this year... and even more so if there was no Adrian Peterson insurance.  He's 35.  Rivera would be crazy to think that we could get through 16 games with only Peterson, Gibson, and McKissic.  

The only one I personally feel is 'expendable' at this point is Barber, and I feel like even that can be considered a gamble.  Barber could easily be no. 5 on the roster and inactive most weeks just in case an injury happens.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Went through it.  Some tidbits.

Standig thinks these dudes are in trouble (either bad camp or others are in better favor)  Reuben Foster, Jeremy Sprinkle, Schweitzer (injury), Lucas

Inman looks locked in as the #3 (Z) receiver

McKissic looks like a lock and is ahead of Love

Bostic looks like a lock as one of the 3 starting linebacker.  KPL and Hamilton would be the other best LBs in camp. 

Darby a lock at a CB spot

Ismael > Pierschbacher

Apke likely is the FS

Only real surprise here is Foster potentially on the chopping block.  At this point I will give Rivera and Del Rio the benefit of the doubt if they send Reuben packing.  But personally I would love to give him some more time to bounce back from his injury during the season.  Alternatively, if he doesn't make the final roster - I would take that to mean that they see more long term potential in some of the other LBers.  

3 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

Only real surprise here is Foster potentially on the chopping block.  At this point I will give Rivera and Del Rio the benefit of the doubt if they send Reuben packing.  But personally I would love to give him some more time to bounce back from his injury during the season.  Alternatively, if he doesn't make the final roster - I would take that to mean that they see more long term potential in some of the other LBers.  

I don't think that Foster not making the roster, means he is cut.

I think he goes to IR, to give him more time to recover, and see if that helps him return to his old form.

16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Honestly I wouldn't read too much into that.  I think the question was if we only keep 3 running backs  will Love make it and I see us keeping at least 4 - especially if they are planning to use a fair number of 2 back sets in this offense.  AP, Gibson, and McKissic may indeed be locks but I think Love likely is as well.  I think the real question isn't whether we keep 3 but will we keep 5 running backs and if Barber is shown the door.  I would be shocked if a healthy Bryce Love doesn't make this team.  

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think that Foster not making the roster, means he is cut.

I think he goes to IR, to give him more time to recover, and see if that helps him return to his old form.

Maybe.  But this is the last year of his contract so unless they are planning to put him on IR and bring him back later in the season I don't see the point.  

Archived