Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

A few thoughts on this Giants scrimmage (link below):

1.  I hope the WFT media team does something similar tomorrow, allowing us to watch the scrimmage highlights.

2.  Andrew Thomas is really struggling, and this is against perhaps the worst starting EDGE duo in the league.  Actually, the OL as a whole seems to be terrible.

3.  Daniel Jones looks to be having a lot of the same problems he had last year.

https://youtu.be/s51LNBqrfgE

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

A few thoughts on this Giants scrimmage (link below):

1.  I hope the WFT media team does something similar tomorrow, allowing us to watch the scrimmage highlights.

2.  Andrew Thomas is really struggling, and this is against perhaps the worst starting EDGE duo in the league.  Actually, the OL as a whole seems to be terrible.

3.  Daniel Jones looks to be having a lot of the same problems he had last year.

https://youtu.be/s51LNBqrfgE

I reached out to Julie Donaldson this morning to ask that same question... 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I hope the WFT media team does something similar tomorrow, allowing us to watch the scrimmage highlights.

I hope they do a much better broadcasting job. What was with the camera angle zooming in on the QB every play? could not study Oline at all.

Unless they did that on purpose so you couldn't see how badly Thomas was struggling. Poor guy got his lunch money taken. How will he buy brains now?

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I hope they do a much better broadcasting job. What was with the camera angle zooming in on the QB every play? could not study Oline at all.

I think they tried to limit how much of the actual play you could see so as not to give too much away. 

On another note:

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wonder what the average age of the team is without Kerrigan, Smith, TD and AP.

We seem fairly stacked with very young guys. There's a lot of guys here from the last 3 drafts looking to start.

Well, if you look at the final 53, my guess is it comes down a hair, but that's only 4 of 53 guys, so it's probably not THAT statistically significant. Would be lower by a few months probably.  

I'm sure the data exists to do this math, but for some reason we have 12 months in a year, and date math is a pain in the ass, so I'm going to be lazy and not do it.  :P 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I really hope Cam Sims makes the team and contributes in a meaningful way.  But it seems that this has been the story of him in camp every year, and it just never clicks.  I remember last year he had a miserable (I think) last pre-season game with a whole bunch of drops. Like he put his entire career on the line in one game and the pressure got to him.

I think if he can just go out and play, he can be better.  

But until he contributes in real games, I'm going to remain skeptical.  

However, he probably benefits the most from Harmon's absence due to being on the IR.  

58 minutes ago, carex said:

has Moreland worked himself up to a starting job?

I think from what I can infer from the reporting, they're still mixing and matching, but Darby, Moreau and Fuller are the top 3, Moreland is on the team and in the mix.  Battle is for the last 2-3 roster spots. Stroman seems in the lead, and whole lot of competition behind that to find the last guy, who most likely will play special teams.  

The key with Darby, however, is he has to stay healthy, and he hasn't shown he can do that, so having Moreland as the "4th starter" is good.  I think I've read he can play inside or outside, which is also good. Fuller can play inside or outside, and I think even though our idiot coaching staff last year used him mostly inside, Moreau really started coming on when he started playing outside when they benched Norman.   

@Voice_of_Reason yeah, I'm sure I could figure that out, but I'm in the same boat. :ols:

Cam looked good in the last game or two last year when he could finally play. Maybe that "3 years for a WR" myth we've been using for our lack of quality receivers is finally coming true.

A 6'5" 220lb WR that can get down field would be nice to have around.

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

These reports on Haskins honestly sound better than any young QB's weve  had. Mistakes, sure, but also putting together really good drives.

Well, not better than Griffin in 2012.

It's so easy to forget that year existed now.  But the noise out of camp Griffin's rookie year was insane, and minus the fact some beat reporters kept claiming he couldn't hit a 10 yard out to save his life, everything else was very positive.

I can't remember which game it was, but that sideline out was called like 4 or 5 times in his something like 10-12 passes, and I think Joey T. even said, "They are drilling the hell out of that throw." 

Turns out he never was really able to hit it, and at least in 2012, it didn't matter even a little bit.

As far as other young QBs drafted by the WFT, the news is better than the rest of them.  Interesting factoid: The 'Skins haven't selected a lot of "franchise QBs in the last 20 years.  Ramsey in 2002, Jason Campbell in 2006, Griffin in 2012, Haskins in 2019.  The best QB they drafted (Haskins being somewhat of an incomplete so far) was Cousins who was drafted in the 4th round to be a backup. JC actually had a little run coming out of 2006 and into 2007.  Then just never materialized from there.  Ramsey was drafted into the worst situation possible with Spurrier as coach. 

Actually, Ramsey vs. Haskins, I'm honestly not sure which was one in a worse spot.  Ramsey was drafted by a coach who didn't understand protection and just sorta left him out there to get killed, and Haskins was drafted by an owner for a coach who didn't want him.  That's a tough one.

And before Ramsey, unless I'm missing somebody, the previous high draft pick QB was Heath Shuler.  Because when he fizzled, it was Frerotte -> Trent Green -> Brad Johnson -> Jeff George -> Tony Banks before Dan/Spurrier traded and signed every former Gator and drafted Ramsey in 2002.  

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Voice_of_Reason yeah, I'm sure I could figure that out, but I'm in the same boat. :ols:

Cam looked good in the last game or two last year when he could finally play. Maybe that "3 years for a WR" myth we've been using for our lack of quality receivers is finally coming true.

A 6'5" 220lb WR that can get down field would be nice to have around.

If I was the Supreme Leader of Earth for a day, a few simple things I would fix to make everything better:  10 months in a year, 20 hours in a day, 100 minutes in an hour, and 100 seconds in a minute.  And no freaking daylight saving time. Eliminate the stupid imperial system of measure, and go full metric, which is amazingly a 10 based system.  Though converting to Celsius would be a real challenge for me personally.  MPH to KPH wouldn't  be hard.  Current 60 MPH is 100 KPH.  So, if you're going 100, you're going pretty fast.  That fits.  

We erase the existence of 2020, and just start next Jan 1 as "year 1" and move on from there.  2020 becomes the year which we do not speak of.

Why in the name we're in a 12 base system for months, minutes and and seconds is completely beyond comprehension.  

As far as Cam goes, I'm hoping it's a year 3 thing.  It could also be a new situation, and sometimes guys just need a new situation.  So here's hoping. 

Archived