Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

9 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

That article got exactly what it wanted... clicks.

I would be floored if we only carried 3 Rbs this year... and even more so if there was no Adrian Peterson insurance.  He's 35.  Rivera would be crazy to think that we could get through 16 games with only Peterson, Gibson, and McKissic.  

The only one I personally feel is 'expendable' at this point is Barber, and I feel like even that can be considered a gamble.  Barber could easily be no. 5 on the roster and inactive most weeks just in case an injury happens.  

Yeah, that would be ridiculous. Love and Gibson have the only real upside for the future. AP is a beast, but a 35 yo beast. He is going to wear out eventually. Barber is nobody, especially with Love healthy. McKissic is getting love like he's the next Tiki Barber, so who knows.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think that Foster not making the roster, means he is cut.

I think he goes to IR, to give him more time to recover, and see if that helps him return to his old form.

Especially is SDH continues his injury issues and Davis being 37.

I was pondering a possible benefit of not having a preseason.

It could mean that Practice Squad players are safer, for the teams keeping them.

Without a preseason audition to go on, I would think that other teams would be less likely to be willing to give a 53-man roster spot, to a player on another team's PS, considering most of them are rookies, UDFA's, or late-round picks.

Maybe less PS swiping due to the lack of preseason film, what do you guys think ?

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Surprised that Love is not expected to make the roster, by some.

I'm guessing the staff may have found that he lost a significant amount of his burst, since his injury. At least I hope that's the reason.

I can't think of any other good reason not to keep him. He may not show the savvy of McKissic, but Love is still young, and he can develop and mature into something good,

if he hasn't lost much of his speed.

I'd be pretty damn surprised if Love is cut. To me that would mean that he really isn't close to the guy he was before as far as raw rushing ability.

At RB the only real known quantity we currently have is a 35 year old who, while he's a future first ballot HoFer (and a complete athletic freak), can't have all that much left in the tank after all these seasons of grinding. The other guys are young and inexperienced and/or rookies (AG, Love) and a guy who's bounced around a couple of teams and seems to have some talent, but hasn't done much in his career and seems like mostly a 3rd down back (McKissic).

Love is young, cheap, and (hopefully still) very talented. Outside of him really looking bad at camp I wouldn't see much of a reason to not keep him, especially considering how much Turner seems to like using backs as pass catchers (and our dearth of talent at TE).

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:
  • The Athletic's Ben Standig reports RB Bryce Love would not make the team if Washington decides to keep just three running backs headed into the season.

Standig said pass-catching back J.D. McKissick's "spot on the team and the game plan appears secure." He added the Football Team "may keep four backs on the gameday roster since [offensive coordinator Scott] Turner’s system uses plenty of two-back sets. If the decision is only three, it’s Peterson, Gibson and McKissic." Love failing to make the Washington roster would be a surprise after weeks of positive practice reports. Peterson, per Standig, is locked in as the team's early down back. The 35-year-old is available in the 10th round of seasonal leagues. 

T

•  

Yea, this idea made no sense to me, given our recent history going back to 2015 with backs and injuries. We're gonna need as many as we can possibly take. Going with 3?? That's insane..

Rivera actually kept 4 RB's and 3 QB's last year on the Panthers.

I think he does exactly that this year.

A writer suggested that if we do that, then the odd man out, as a result, would be Ryan Anderson.

I'm not convinced of that, but one thing is for sure - a very good player or more, will be caught in a numbers game, and become a surprise cut.

I think we might actually get something in a trade for Anderson, if we tried.

He's not really been a disappointment, but like I said, caught up in the numbers. Or maybe he does make the team, and they choose to cut corners elsewhere. (maybe actually cut corners - on a cornerback ;)

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Rivera actually kept 4 RB's and 3 QB's last year on the Panthers.

I think he does exactly that this year.

A writer suggested that if we do that, then the odd man out, as a result, would be Ryan Anderson.

I'm not convinced of that, but one thing is for sure - a very good player or more, will be caught in a numbers game, and become a surprise cut.

I think we might actually get something in a trade for Anderson, if we tried.

He's not really been a disappointment, but like I said, caught up in the numbers. Or maybe he does make the team, and they choose to cut corners elsewhere.

Anderson's always just been a guy out there for me.. Few talk about him, I can't remember any big plays he's made since he's been here but I feel he'll be a guy who could have a long career of avg play but good enough to garner offers year after year. To me the silence surrounding his game and the fact few talk about him stands out to me more than anything else..

22 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe less PS swiping due to the lack of preseason film, what do you guys think ?

Makes a lot of sense to me. You won’t have film on a lot of these guys at the NFL level, so it will come down to players college film. Don’t think you can just put anybody up for grabs tho. The Dolphins waived 2020 5th rounder Curtis weaver in the hopes of getting him to IR, and he was claimed by the Browns. He was them moved immediately to IR, making him theirs.

All it takes is one draft guy who beat the table for a specific player.

"Remember when I told you to draft that AGG guy? Now you can get him for free!"

At some point, its still not worth the risk with a lot of our young guys. Zombie would be pulling out a lot of hair (and I don’t have a lot left) if we lose some of our guys that way.

21 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

The talent on the team would clearly dictate that we keep more RB’s and less WR’s/TE’s, right? We can’t cut sprinkle? He’d be sitting at home waiting for a call if we decided we needed him later. 

Why can't we cut Sprinkle? Can we go 2 TE and 6 WR and 5 RBs? Can Anderson play blocking TE like he did at FB?

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Went through it.  Some tidbits.

Standig thinks these dudes are in trouble (either bad camp or others are in better favor)  Reuben Foster, Jeremy Sprinkle, Schweitzer (injury), Lucas

Inman looks locked in as the #3 (Z) receiver

McKissic looks like a lock and is ahead of Love

Bostic looks like a lock as one of the 3 starting linebacker.  KPL and Hamilton would be the other best LBs in camp. 

Darby a lock at a CB spot

Ismael > Pierschbacher

Apke likely is the FS

Wow, the SDSU kid over the 'bama kid??? Ismael was considered one of the better Centers in CFB coming out and being out here in SD and seeing what Rocky Long did here with his Olines and the fact they were such a run heavy NFL style team its cool to see Ismael doing well. I think with Piershbacher the fact he can play guard as well will add to his value.. Man the more I think about it. I didn't realize how much draft capital we put into the Oline in the last couple of years..

Sprinkle. Whats the deal? He's been on the team for a few seasons now, we've seen him pay his dues he kinda fell into the #1 last year, but now that he has any form of competition he gets outshined? I haven't heard much from him in camp.

2 hours ago, Long Time Fan said:

Only real surprise here is Foster potentially on the chopping block.  At this point I will give Rivera and Del Rio the benefit of the doubt if they send Reuben packing.  But personally I would love to give him some more time to bounce back from his injury during the season.  Alternatively, if he doesn't make the final roster - I would take that to mean that they see more long term potential in some of the other LBers.  

Yea with Foster. I mean maybe he's back from injury but he's not up to form yet and who would be surprised by that? I mean he tore just about everything.. That's a tall order to ask someone to come back to form in a year. 2-3 is more doable..

BTW any word from linebackger Khaleke Hudson?? The Michigan kid we drafted in the 5th round??

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

When I think about the RBs I tend to consider Antonio Gibson a WR first and RB second. I know that goes a bit against the current popular thought/narrative, but that's more or less what he was at Memphis...he had 2x as many yards receiving as yards rushing and 2x as many receiving TDs as rushing TDs. 

Also, his rushing yards tended to come in really big chunks (he had an 11.2 yard rushing average) and from the tape I could find of him it seemed his runs tended to be more RO types of plays that could get him out into space. He wasn't at all your typical grind it out 4-5 ypc single set back. And I'd be REALLY surprised if they tried to force him to be that here.

21 minutes ago, mistertim said:

When I think about the RBs I tend to consider Antonio Gibson a WR first and RB second. I know that goes a bit against the current popular thought/narrative, but that's more or less what he was at Memphis...he had 2x as many yards receiving as yards rushing and 2x as many receiving TDs as rushing TDs. 

Also, his rushing yards tended to come in really big chunks (he had an 11.2 yard rushing average) and from the tape I could find of him it seemed his runs tended to be more RO types of plays that could get him out into space. He wasn't at all your typical grind it out 4-5 ypc single set back. And I'd be REALLY surprised if they tried to force him to be that here.

I think it's more apt to call him a 'Weapon' instead of a WR or RB.  

He's a JUCO guy that transferred and didn't see the field as a Junior.  Then as a Senior he was still on the bench until he started hitting breakaway touchdowns with limited snaps.  They switched him to WR predominantly in an effort to get him on the field.  But he's about as raw and inexperienced as you can get.  The nuances of the RB or WR positions are so new to him.  I don't think we can expect him to line up at Slot, against Nickel DB's, and know how to run normal Slot routes for a full game (recognizing coverages, bending routes to accomodate that, knowing how to run his timing routes vs press/off coverage, etc).  Likewise, we can't expect him to pass protect, or know all of his run keys to look for when the there are a dozen different looks a defense can show him pre-snap.  He'd have to know how the OL assignments change when the SS moves to the LoS outside the RT or the LB's all shift to the strong side, etc.

That seems insurmountable for him as a rookie from where he came from.  He simply lacks enough experience/time to get that knowledge.

RB group:

AP, Love, Barber

WR group:

McLaurin, Sims, Inman, AGG, Wright/whoever

'Weapon' group:

McKissic, Gibson

TE group:

Thomas, Baugh, whoever

With how much motion, read option, play fakes, misdirection, etc we're supposedly doing, the 'Weapon' group sounds like they won't ever be traditionally lined up anywhere for a straight drop back or conventional hand off playcall.

I'm excited to see what this offense looks like, cause nobody is sure, and the team has told writers not to talk about it to give away info.  All we know is that McKissic and Gibson (and Sims somewhat) move around A LOT.  We don't even know how much they'll utilize the 'Weapon' group.  Is that a staple of the offense, so at least 2/3rds of plays?  Or is it only in on 1/3rd of plays?  1/4?  How much of our offense looks conventional, and how much do we do funky stuff?

Is there any, and I mean ANY, fear at all for putting Alex Smith on the PS?

Nobody is touching that contract, and if they do it would be doing us a favor. (Oh, noes, we are suddenly flush with millions in free cap space. The humanity!) While I do believe his veteran presence would be immensely beneficial this season, we could use him to save a roster spot. Best of both worlds.

It would allow us to keep an extra WR or LB.

If he ever gets to the point where he is fully participating, it is hard to see him on PUP.

Would there be financial implications if we cut him but assign him to the PS? I'm not sure.

Just putting a thought in peoples heads. It makes your Brains more delicious. Like sprinkles. Yum.  

I've said this a million times but if Gibson is having issues getting down all the things he's expected to do, why the hell not play him at WR where we are thin, let him get up to speed with the NFL and get used to the difference between there and Memphis and keep 3 other RB as well. It's simply baffling to me why they're so hellbent on expecting so much from him in terms of complexity. Learn to run routes and pick up blocks and learn how to be an NFL player before you decide to mold him into a gadget. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I've said this a million times but if Gibson is having issues getting down all the things he's expected to do, why the hell not play him at WR where we are thin, let him get up to speed with the NFL and get used to the difference between there and Memphis and keep 3 other RB as well. It's simply baffling to me why they're so hellbent on expecting so much from him in terms of complexity. Learn to run routes and pick up blocks and learn how to be an NFL player before you decide to mold him into a gadget. 

May have something go do with them thinking that he's more of a natural NFL fit at running back, and they want him to learn one job/position at a time, not throwing everything at him at once.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

May have something go do with them thinking that he's more of a natural NFL fit at running back, and they want him to learn one job/position at a time, not throwing everything at him at once.

But they're trying to throw everything to him at once hence the Keim tweet. With no preseason games and limited practices I get what they're trying to do with him, but this isn't the year to try and throw so much at a kid.

Archived