Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was also a Guice guy.

There's no way you could know Guice just couldn't stay healthy and apparently is a much, much worse dude than we were led to believe.  That said, I question how the team didn't know how bad a dude he was. I remember Coach Gibbs (during his second stink) saying they had private investigators, and he was actually uncomfortable at times with the type of information they turned up on draft picks.  Maybe that's not the case anymore, but if it was, any investigator worth anything could have turned up women who had a bad experience with Guice, at least off the record.  Of course, for all we know, Bruce knew, and sat on it because he didn't care.  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, not better than Griffin in 2012.

It's so easy to forget that year existed now.  But the noise out of camp Griffin's rookie year was insane, and minus the fact some beat reporters kept claiming he couldn't hit a 10 yard out to save his life, everything else was very positive.

I can't remember which game it was, but that sideline out was called like 4 or 5 times in his something like 10-12 passes, and I think Joey T. even said, "They are drilling the hell out of that throw." 

Turns out he never was really able to hit it, and at least in 2012, it didn't matter even a little bit.

As far as other young QBs drafted by the WFT, the news is better than the rest of them.  Interesting factoid: The 'Skins haven't selected a lot of "franchise QBs in the last 20 years.  Ramsey in 2002, Jason Campbell in 2006, Griffin in 2012, Haskins in 2019.  The best QB they drafted (Haskins being somewhat of an incomplete so far) was Cousins who was drafted in the 4th round to be a backup. JC actually had a little run coming out of 2006 and into 2007.  Then just never materialized from there.  Ramsey was drafted into the worst situation possible with Spurrier as coach. 

Actually, Ramsey vs. Haskins, I'm honestly not sure which was one in a worse spot.  Ramsey was drafted by a coach who didn't understand protection and just sorta left him out there to get killed, and Haskins was drafted by an owner for a coach who didn't want him.  That's a tough one.

And before Ramsey, unless I'm missing somebody, the previous high draft pick QB was Heath Shuler.  Because when he fizzled, it was Frerotte -> Trent Green -> Brad Johnson -> Jeff George -> Tony Banks before Dan/Spurrier traded and signed every former Gator and drafted Ramsey in 2002.  

RG3 and Ramsey both had terrible football instincts. Haskins has a natural feel for the game that is promising. 

3 hours ago, dyst said:

I’ve learned my lesson to wait a few days with injuries when it comes to this team. Think something is fine and then you get hit with a hammer that it ended up being worse.

Same here.

Walking off the field does not convince me. I've seen that before, only to find out later that it was a serious ligament tear.

But hearing 2nd hand from Payne, that Allen himself feels fine and wanted to go back in, sure does separate somewhat from the previously spoken of scenarios

If I was the Supreme Leader of Earth for a day, a few simple things I would fix to make everything better:  10 months in a year, 20 hours in a day, 100 minutes in an hour, and 100 seconds in a minute.  And no freaking daylight saving time. Eliminate the stupid imperial system of measure, and go full metric, which is amazingly a 10 based system.  Though converting to Celsius would be a real challenge for me personally.  MPH to KPH wouldn't  be hard.  Current 60 MPH is 100 KPH.  So, if you're going 100, you're going pretty fast.  That fits.  

We erase the existence of 2020, and just start next Jan 1 as "year 1" and move on from there.  2020 becomes the year which we do not speak of.

Why in the name we're in a 12 base system for months, minutes and and seconds is completely beyond comprehension.  

As far as Cam goes, I'm hoping it's a year 3 thing.  It could also be a new situation, and sometimes guys just need a new situation.  So here's hoping. 

Next lockdown everyone stuck in their houses thats what should happen. Nobody knows what day or time it is anyway. Most people don't know to wrench and nothing is made in the old system anymore anyway. Great idea Voice of supreme leader.

There's no way you could know Guice just couldn't stay healthy and apparently is a much, much worse dude than we were led to believe.  That said, I question how the team didn't know how bad a dude he was. I remember Coach Gibbs (during his second stink) saying they had private investigators, and he was actually uncomfortable at times with the type of information they turned up on draft picks.  Maybe that's not the case anymore, but if it was, any investigator worth anything could have turned up women who had a bad experience with Guice, at least off the record.  Of course, for all we know, Bruce knew, and sat on it because he didn't care.  

True, loved the player and the enthusiasm he played with.  I heard the rumors about character issues but not much come out concrete aside from the weird story about his visit with the Eagles which some denied.   Love Doug but he in particular didn't look hot in retrospect on this one because he was really open about vouching for his character and knowing him well.   He was almost smug talking about it because it came off that they were bragging that they got a steal in the 2nd.  I felt the same way but obviously I didn't know squat about his character.  Though clearly other teams had a handle on it, an ex-Eagles executive said they knew.  Apparently the Panthers, too since he wasn't supposedly even on their board because of character concerns. 

Maybe we just need to lay off LSU players.

Guice

Moss

Charles can't get on the field, now

In fact, almost literally from Day One, they all had major injury issues...among other things.

And noone else currently on the roster is from LSU.

Quinn started out at LSU, but then transferred. So maybe there's hope for him.

Lingering Surgery University

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe we just need to lay off LSU players.

Guice

Moss

Charles can't get on the field, now

In fact, almost literally from Day One, they all had major injury issues...among other things.

And noone else currently on the roster is from LSU.

Quinn started out at LSU, but then transferred. So maybe there's hope for him.

Playing in the SEC will put some wear on you. Double edged sword. Most of the guys out of the SEC have played in big games and are pro ready. But like I said. They get worn out. 

Not sure how anyone could believe anything that is said by a representative of this team (pre Rivera) and that includes whatever gibberish Doug Williams spouted about Guice. 

The signs were out there on Guice. He dropped due to injury and kept getting hurt once he got to the NFL. There were character concerns pre-draft and what do you know, he has character issues after being drafted.

This isn’t a surprise, it’s more turning a blind eye to what is in front of you.

57 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Next lockdown everyone stuck in their houses thats what should happen. Nobody knows what day or time it is anyway. Most people don't know to wrench and nothing is made in the old system anymore anyway. Great idea Voice of supreme leader.

Please note I only want to be supreme leader for 1 day and my platform is clear.  After that I will happily turn the reins over to whoever I took power from.  It would be 1 day or benevolent dictatorship. 

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

True, loved the player and the enthusiasm he played with.  I heard the rumors about character issues but not much come out concrete aside from the weird story about his visit with the Eagles which some denied.   Love Doug but he in particular didn't look hot in retrospect on this one because he was really open about vouching for his character and knowing him well.   He was almost smug talking about it because it came off that they were bragging that they got a steal in the 2nd.  I felt the same way but obviously I didn't know squat about his character.  Though clearly other teams had a handle on it, an ex-Eagles executive said they knew.  Apparently the Panthers, too since he wasn't supposedly even on their board because of character concerns. 

It wasn’t a shining hour for Doug.  

And it’s really likely we knew too.  The question is who knew, who passed the information to who, and who made the final decisions.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn  that information filtered through Bruce’s office and he informed Kyle and Doug what he thought they needed to know.  

That would totally fit the MO.

34 minutes ago, dyst said:

Not sure how anyone could believe anything that is said by a representative of this team (pre Rivera) and that includes whatever gibberish Doug Williams spouted about Guice. 

The signs were out there on Guice. He dropped due to injury and kept getting hurt once he got to the NFL. There were character concerns pre-draft and what do you know, he has character issues after being drafted.

This isn’t a surprise, it’s more turning a blind eye to what is in front of you.

There's a lot of guys coming out of college with character issues because they're a bunch of 18-19 year olds being given a carte-blanche at school to do whatever they want. Many learn and grow once they make it to the NFL and end up being steals, Mathieu being a good example. While it doesn't let them off the hook, I have no problems taking risks on high-talent players that made a couple mistakes growing up.

HOWEVER, I do agree that the combination of character issues AND injury issues is a combination almost too difficult to ignore. The team took a risk with him, it didn't work out. That's life and I won't hold it against an organization no more than I hold Josh Doctson's failure against the former regime. 

I was fooled too. I thought character issues referred to being super immature and his addiction to video games. He seemed like a cool, light spirit in the in interviews, clips, and rehab stuff we got to see.  The "anger" aspect was invisible to us or at least to me.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

This is re-writing history in a major way and it’s not really cool to act like anyone who didn’t see this coming, on the fan side, is a dummy. You’re just making **** up with the benefit of hindsight, frankly. Especially in regards to the injury, nobody came out and said he had an untreated partial tear in college until after he had torn it fully as a rookie—then people who knew came out of the woodwork and spilled the beans and it became apparent what the medical red flag rumors came from—but no fans knew about that. The character stuff was just as amorphous and impossible to nail down other than the rumor about a clash with the Eagles FO, which they specifically denied at the time. 

To act like this was all right in front of us is downright incorrect, because it wasn’t. Nobody without inside info thought he had ANY history of domestic violence or anything like that, are you kidding? The early rumors about his “character stuff” were that he liked video games too much and was immature, and then a different rumor emerged that he might be gay and became offended when asked by the Eagles. That one disappeared pretty fast, to the point where there was hardly any chatter about it here (and for good reason) and neither were ever substantiated.

Nobody at all, at the time, was talking about his character red flags being related to violence, period. And it didn’t happen so long ago that you can make people who clearly remember that time doubt their own recollections, sorry. There were scant whispers about these character issues with Guice—and it was clear he had played through some sort of injury, but that’s it. Nobody on the fan side turned a blind eye, and while many NFL teams probably knew more than they would admit, we weren’t privy to that, obviously. 

The arrogant tone of your post is so ridiculous I can’t get over it. Nobody on the fan side of things even knew he had suffered and played through a serious injury like that, yet here you state it like it was a well-known fact on draft night and the obvious reason for his fall—it wasn’t, his fall was treated as essentially a mystery at the time it happened and that’s when character issues, with no details related to anything it turned out to be in reality, became rumored and hinted at though no one would talk about it. And the info about an untreated partial tear at LSU came even later, after his injury as a rookie. 

It was clear teams had issues with him from his fall (assuming he was seen as being as talented as everyone in the media projected in the first place) on draft weekend...but to pretend it was all so obvious now looking back is not true at all. It was completely shrouded in mystery for the most part and seemed like a very smart risk—one of the few smart risks that regime took, actually. 

44 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

...snip

All of his issues where out there  and discussed prior to the draft. It’s not hindsight. When journalists make mention of his character, its one thing but when front office person bring it up too, then its hitting you right in the face. This wasn’t a guy who played video games too much, he got in a physical altercation with a scout. Hindsight my ass.

This isn’t Art Monk throwing us a curveball. That would be hindsight. That’s why people aren’t really shocked with Guice. There was always hints that he had issues of sorts. This is not the type of team who can harness that and cultivate it for good. If anything our sucky culture only enhances **** like that.

It wasn't a trick and nobody got fooled and there was no malice in it. He had some concerns that got chalked up to immaturity. Blame the FO for taking a chance on an injury prone, immature, irresponsible player, but we're not the only ones who do that stuff. All the fluff pieces come out and we suck it up after the draft. Glad he's gone now. 

42 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Meanwhile looks like Derwin James suffered another serious injury. He’s about as injury prone as Guice. Payne ain’t lookin so bad now is he.

I truly believe Payne will be a boss this year. Looking forward to the "Chase Effect" on everyone this year. Gonna be a ride one way or another. 

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

We ain't gonna score much points, but by golly, neither is anyone else we play !

Im hoping we have the coaches and scheme to maximize talent on offense.  We didn’t have that before.  We had coaches that didn’t even want to put our best players on the field.  If Turner snd Ron know what they’re doing, like I suspect they do, we’ll do better than most people think on offense.  At least better than before.  I hope.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I was fooled too. I thought character issues referred to being super immature and his addiction to video games. He seemed like a cool, light spirit in the in interviews, clips, and rehab stuff we got to see.  The "anger" aspect was invisible to us or at least to me.

Yep that was the rap.  There wasn't from what I recall any smoke that was out there about issues with women, etc.  Immaturity was the buzz.  As for what was out there publicly.  As for what NFL teams privately knew -- that might have been another matter. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I can't believe how excited I am for this year.

A bunch of us, you included, had to endure some arrows for rooting for those loses at the end but I think it is going to be well worth it.  If that dude doesn't both take the league by storm and bring the best out of the rest of the D line, I would be really surprised.

Archived