Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

43 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It means the coaching staff isn’t locked into anyone anywhere. They’ve given opportunities to everyone throughout camp. Those that have excelled and taken advantage and done the little things right that the staff is looking for (Apke) have stuck as starters. Those that have not and been called out for it and still not stepped up (Martin) have been shuffled back and replaced. 

that’s refreshing. 

I think I heard in Ron’s press conference that Schweitzer is back practicing, so if both he and Josh Garnett push Wes to the back of the bus than he might be headed to the practice squad. It also seems to me that Keith Ismael is safely ahead of Ross P. on the depth chart. I don’t think I’ve heard of Ross playing with the ones at all, plus Ismael is showing he can flex to guard. 

Also, the Antonio Gibson being confused thing seems a little overblown in light of what Ron said about him today. They’ve got a tailored plan for him where they throw stuff at him and then back off and then throw more at him. It’s a lot and there is a gradual process in place for it to expand. But, what’s great to hear is how he’s approaching it all and how honest he’s being about where he’s at and how he’s moving forward. I’m looking forward to seeing how he grows into his role. 

It was also good to hear that Inman has taken AGG under his wing and that his injury is minor. Hopefully he’ll be back to work in a couple days. 

19 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

But they're trying to throw everything to him at once hence the Keim tweet. With no preseason games and limited practices I get what they're trying to do with him, but this isn't the year to try and throw so much at a kid.

What you’re proposing isn’t even much easier for him because he’s also not a polished WR whatsoever, despite mostly playing there in college. He wasn’t a clean projection to the NFL and is gonna require some development and patience while he just runs packages of plays designed for him, for now. There’s a reason these types of “offensive weapon” players usually fail in the NFL—there is just too much turnover in coaching staffs and FO’s for these guys to usually have the time to get with the program and prove their worth, expectations are high and the visions of a versatile “weapon” moving all over the field are in everyone’s heads, including the coaching staff, on draft night...and then it’s a lot of work and there’s a lot of staff turnover.

One advantage we have is that this is a new staff and shouldn’t be going anywhere for a while—he has time to become what they envision and the people who invested in him and are invested in his success should be here a while. He has time. 

Barber is like that mystery man, as he's been "in the shadows" of all the other RB's on the roster, who get more publicity for one reason or another.

But I can see why they like him.

I wouldn't mind havin him on my team - the only problem is - which talented player loses his place on the roster as a result of keeping 5 RB's ? That's  my question.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:47 PM, Anselmheifer said:

The talent on the team would clearly dictate that we keep more RB’s and less WR’s/TE’s, right? We can’t cut sprinkle? He’d be sitting at home waiting for a call if we decided we needed him later. 

Agree completely. Also dont forget that Gibson played a ton of WR in college. That leaves you the the ability to go one less at that position. Which is a position of weakness anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hearing Haskins doing well, is that also a good sign that our OL is blocking better for him ?

Dont know. But if he wasnt improving in his second pro year I would be concerned. We saw real progress from him in the last quarter of last season. So it kind of makes sense that he is building on that. 

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hearing Haskins doing well, is that also a good sign that our OL is blocking better for him ?

This is the paradox I'm working with, too.  We don't know what our OL will look like, but they are going up against three first-rounders (Payne, Allen, Young) every down, not to mention Settle/Ionnaidis/Kerrigan thrown in the rotation and on passing downs, and Haskins still seems to be doing well.  I know it's not full speed, but I just keep hearing good things on Haskins regularly.

Without much coverage/considering the source of the info is primarily the team itself/no preseason games, it's hard to tell.

I guess the OL must be blocking okay?  I lean towards not simply because we don't hear much good stuff about them, and I feel we would if there were a lot of good news to report.

Well it seems like they're letting plays continue after would-be sacks, so it's really hard to tell if they're blocking good or not. If they're doing okay blocking these guys I would be very happy, this is not an easy group to block. I also read that Dwayne is quite impressive when it comes to feeling pressure. This is such an X-Factor skill for a QB, the ability to extend a play a few seconds causes coverages to break down. 

50 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Barber is like that mystery man, as he's been "in the shadows" of all the other RB's on the roster, who get more publicity for one reason or another.

I wouldn't mind havin him on my team - the only problem is - which talented player loses his place on the roster as a result of keeping 5 RB's ? That's  my question.

why do we have to get rid of someone.  The roster is 55 now.  5 RB's and 6 WR's.  9 Olineman, 9 LB's, 5 CB, 4 S, 8 Dline.  3 ST.  3 TE, 3 QB.  Leaves one spot open.  To fill with whomever.  Probably another TE.

21 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

This is the paradox I'm working with, too.  We don't know what our OL will look like, but they are going up against three first-rounders (Payne, Allen, Young) every down, not to mention Settle/Ionnaidis/Kerrigan thrown in the rotation and on passing downs

Uhhh.... missed one

old-spice-sweat-defense-right-for-old-sp

Hate to run into that guy in a dark graveyard. He will leave you there

5 hours ago, moondog said:

It means the coaching staff isn’t locked into anyone anywhere. They’ve given opportunities to everyone throughout camp. Those that have excelled and taken advantage and done the little things right that the staff is looking for (Apke) have stuck as starters. Those that have not and been called out for it and still not stepped up (Martin) have been shuffled back and replaced. 

that’s refreshing. 

I wonder if Martin thought he had the job and just didn't put in the work over the off season figuring he was the incumbent?

7 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Raheem Mostert had 40 total carries for 5 different teams over 3 years, before blowing up for the 9ers last year, with 770 yards, 8 TDs and a 5.6 YPC. So it's not unheard of for a back to just find a groove with the right team.

It's interesting. Sometimes, a player is given so many chances because the coaches and front office want to be proven right. McKissic might be getting the opportunities because he's doing really well in this system or because he just hasn't shown enough and the coaches want to give him every opportunity.

I haven't listened to all the pressers, but I don't remember hearing a lot of love for McKissic. 

5 hours ago, moondog said:

that’s refreshing. 

On game-day you usually only have seven active linemen. Most likely case is to maximize your options. You are also only going to keep maybe 9 OL on your active roster so you can go heavy elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Problem is that RB #5 takes up a roster spot that isn't likely to be used on game-days. If injuries or actual game day performance force you to go to a fifth guy, you'll likely do better finding a street guy.

15 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

On game-day you usually only have seven active linemen. Most likely case is to maximize your options. You are also only going to keep maybe 9 OL on your active roster so you can go heavy elsewhere.

you get to dress an extra player if you dress an 8th lineman so I imagine most teams will do that

I've been thinking of our roster and people seem to be looking at how we're going to fit 3 QBs, 5 RBs and 6 WRs

With the PS rules being what they are and the youth of our WRs even before the new rule allowing six players with any amount of playing time on the squad I could see us going light of WR on the main roster and heavy on PS. 

We're already not going to have any RB to put on there if we carry five on the main roster.  We're probably not going to carry an extra QB.  The leave WR, OL, TE, DL, LB and DB

I carry 4 WR, 2 TE, 3 OL, 2 or 3 DL(if we keep David Bada we have an exemption that would let us keep 17 people), 2 LB and  3 DB on the practice squad

If we need them we have a variety of people we can call up that can even play on game day. 

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Problem is that RB #5 takes up a roster spot that isn't likely to be used on game-days. If injuries or actual game day performance force you to go to a fifth guy, you'll likely do better finding a street guy.

so does QB 3, WR 6, DB 10  and so on and so on.  You still carry those guys because they know your offense and you can make a change more quickly

Archived