Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

31 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think that's Dan in the grey long sleeve T, and I think he desperately needs a haircut.

Maybe his two better halves here will make a facsimile of a whole owner.  If we have any luck at all they'll get it to see it through.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Excellent throw by Haskins.

Good catch by McLaurin. Not great, but good.

But the pass defense on that was pretty poor.

How did Stroman fall ? It looked like he tried to trip McLaurin when he realized he was beat, but ended up just tripping himself.

In fact, it looks a lot like he tried to trip him, the way he extended his left leg.

Good points.  But Stroman (and any other DB for that matter) would be trying to cover someone who runs a 4.35.  Mistakes will happen.  I think that’s one reason why the coverage wasn’t great.

5 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Nit picking, but I'm really hoping one of these OTHER WRs set themselves apart from the others. LOVE these Mclaurin highlights, but I dont want our passing game to live and die with Mclaurin. I'm even open to trading a significant draft pick (not a 1st rounder) to get another stud WR in here. 

Don't worry, it won't be just T-Mac.....this is gonna be fun to watch, especially if the defense is as good as I think it's gonna be. Can't wait to see guys like Love, Sims Jr, Thomas, and obviously the Gibson kid on offense. People across the league are gonna be asking where these kids came from and how we got them.

2 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

I feel you, but we wouldn't need that this year, hopefully one of our guys step up.  

Can Steve Sims be a WR2 or is he just a slot guy...Know he said in his press conference that Scott Turner is having him out wide and in the slow, maybe he can emerge.

if not, sometime next year we may have to look for a WR2 to go with Mclaurin

I hear you, but I disagree. Injuries happen. Even minor ones that keep a player out for a quarter or so, we need to have at least one other THREAT at WR that can keep the passing game solid. 

9 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Nit picking, but I'm really hoping one of these OTHER WRs set themselves apart from the others. LOVE these Mclaurin highlights, but I dont want our passing game to live and die with Mclaurin. I'm even open to trading a significant draft pick (not a 1st rounder) to get another stud WR in here. 

You want to try and be a contender this season?  Practically, I think it makes a lot of sense to load up for the 2021 off-season.  We've got oodles of cap room, the cap is dropping and will catch other teams in bad spots.

If you really want to trade for a WR now though, you can't.  You'd have to wait a few games in for a team that's unexpectedly struggling and wants to throw in the towel for a shot at Trevor Lawrence.

So that really limits your options.

4 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I hear you, but I disagree. Injuries happen. Even minor ones that keep a player out for a quarter or so, we need to have at least one other THREAT at WR that can keep the passing game solid. 

understandable...so what you say go out and get a Dez Bryant or Josh Gordon?

16 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

understandable...so what you say go out and get a Dez Bryant or Josh Gordon?

Yep. WHOEVER is the best WR available, go after. Bring em both in, whoever looks the best sign em. 

16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You want to try and be a contender this season?  Practically, I think it makes a lot of sense to load up for the 2021 off-season.  We've got oodles of cap room, the cap is dropping and will catch other teams in bad spots.

If you really want to trade for a WR now though, you can't.  You'd have to wait a few games in for a team that's unexpectedly struggling and wants to throw in the towel for a shot at Trevor Lawrence.

So that really limits your options.

Makes sense. I ALWAYS want to be a contender and I also want my QB to look good out there. 

59 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only thing I can think of is a tackle eligible play. Teams have used those in the the red zone for years.  I've always wondered why they don't use them in short yardage other times.  

I'd really love to see us hit at least a couple of big guys for funky TDs this year.  It's just an added wrinkle.  Even if you do it once, when you go jumbo, now teams have to pay attention and can't just blindly rush.  

At this point in TC, considering how the OL is reportedly doing so poorly, I'd like to think that they're concentrating more on their fundamental responsibilities, than trick plays.

Unless they've given up on the Line's ability to consistently perform fundamentals, that have to rely on trick plays to get us out of the rut, on offense :)

Regarding a Jumbo package, I'd love to see Tim Settle out there on offense for a gadget play.

45 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Good points.  But Stroman (and any other DB for that matter) would be trying to cover someone who runs a 4.35.  Mistakes will happen.  I think that’s one reason why the coverage wasn’t great.

McLaurin can make the best DB's in the league look silly. They don't call him "Scary Terry" or "Soarin' McLaurin" for nothing.

Interesting, Rivera just asked and reminded the reporters not to tweet about "unusual" plays they see in camp.

Sounds like a high possibility we see trick plays frequently during the season.

So, I guess we've seen the last video of Brandon Scherff throwing dart passes in camp.

Rivera also emphasized regarding Apke, that he's seen "growth". So, don't expect to see the same old Apke.

Said Sprinkle is the most "stout" among all the TE's.

Also emphasized the importance of his (big) receivers to be able to block.

Said the keys to winning games involves winning the turnover ratio, capitalizing on that, and a strong running game

Admits the lack of going full speed, or game speed, makes it harder to evaluate players in camp. Wished he could play 1 or 2 preseason games.

But also glad it means less injuries.

And glad he no longer has to rely on zoom calls with about 100 players at the same time.

Rivera looked and sounded good, not having any visible indications of being sick, or suffering from treatment effects, yet

1 hour ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

you are open to it?! hold on. let me get ron and let him know you are open to it.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What is the purpose of the drill, with the OL taking turns running pass routes, and catching balls ?

Is that just a 'recreational break' ?

Or does it serve a football/athletic purpose ?

Or to see if Brandon Scherff can be the next Jared Lorenzen ?

Eligible man drill.  At times we likely align a down lineman as eligible.  Might be a situation they need to run a "route" in the event of an audible.  Likely dont want it to be completely foreign and dont want to dedicate regular season practice time to it either.  

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

New staff probably curious to see which OL-man has the best "hands", if they choose to call on him for that.

Clearly Moses has the best hands on the team, and perhaps the NFL.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, grabs a hold and refuses to let go like Moses does. Those hands are IRON.

8 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Clearly Moses has the best hands on the team, and perhaps the NFL.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, grabs a hold and refuses to let go like Moses does. Those hands are IRON.

Yep, I've never seen Moses drop a defender once he's got his hands on them. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The first several games last year, it almost felt like Jay was trying to get fired

Games? I thought he started trying to get fired once the Trent Williams thing came to a head. I really think he was starting to get really pissed at Bruce Allen (remember, 2015 was Jay's best year and was also the year that Brucifer looked to be getting marginalized). After Bruceifer retook control, Jay saw Bruce decide he didn't want Kirk (2017). In 2018, Bruce decided to go after Alex without consulting Jay (though I do think Jay a might have agreed if he'd been consulted), retook full control again.  Last year, Brucifer did make a good deal to get a QB but since that QB couldn't lead the team to the playoffs without embarrassing Brucifer (as we could have had the guy in 2018 for much cheaper) and the only way Jay was not going to be fired was to make the playoffs, Brucifer decided to go with a QB early in the draft (which Jay did not want him to do, especially with the Trent situation looming).  Brucifer also either totally missed the Trent situation (something the is inexcusable) or decided to ignore it (which is even worse).  Further, it appears we had a training staff issue that Brucifer never really addressed.

Archived