Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

Game plan should be 25-30 touches for gibson.  He is a 3 down back.  Are we easing him in or is his knowledge of the playbook limited?  Get that man his touches either via handoff or in space and let him do work.  Outside of F1, he is our only weapon and I think we way underutilize him

Edited by Stone Cold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Game plan should be 25-30 touches for gibson.  He is a 3 down back.  Are we easing him in or is his knowledge of the playbook limited?  Get that man his touches either via handoff or in space and let him do work.  Outside of F1, he is our only weapon and I think we way underutilize him

He may not quite be able to handle that kinda load since IIRC he split carries with Tony Pollard in college and wasn't really even a RB until this year.

I think he’s a rhythm runner that can eventually wear down defenses.  He’s also dynamic enough to turn swing passes and screens into long gainers.  I’d just prefer to see more of him and way less barber.  Really the only spell given is the occasional 3d nod to jd.  just my opinion and I am no head coach.  I just see a potential bell cow

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

You have him too, huh.

Fantasy aside while he's raw and needs the reps to develop, teams sub out more than ever. Heck we even seen QBs subbed out - Brees. Another one on my team....

Also, trust with coaches in pass pro is usually lacking with rooks...

Edited by RandyHolt

7 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

I think he’s a rhythm runner that can eventually wear down defenses.  He’s also dynamic enough to turn swing passes and screens into long gainers.  I’d just prefer to see more of him and way less barber.  Really the only spell given is the occasional 3d nod to jd.  just my opinion and I am no head coach.  I just see a potential bell cow

I don't mind throwing barber out there a couple plays a game just to help save AG for the long haul. 2-4 touches for him to give Gibson a rest and keep him healthy equates to 20-40 less touches for AG the rest of the season and less chances to get injured..

3 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't see the need to run him into the ground. Granted, Barber is pretty pedestrian, but McKissic is no slouch. Letting them split carries seems like a good idea to me.

Agreed, Mckissic feels like a another version of AG. And unlike CT I dont get worried about Mckissic's health cause he just comes off like a tougher player who doesn't mind getting hit and bounces right back up.. I want him on this team..

• Like 1

Why did Barber get the start.... did Thurman Thomas Syndrome strike?

Not that it matters as it's more about snaps and touches/targets anyways.

I feel like there is a lot to unlock in the playbook as a former receiver but we seem to be using him as a pure runner a bit more than I expected (CMC grade greatness of course).

As thin as we are at WR I was expecting to see McKiss and Gibson on the field together. And hoping to see that as well as I think its a curveball for defenses.  Defenses must love seeing base traditional predictable personnel packages. Me? I want to see Gibson motioned out wide and go deep a few times a game. See if we get a LB on him or mismatch. And then run McKissic up the gut. Love the curveballs and ****ing with DC's.

16 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

This is what I have been calling for all year. I don't really care if its Gibson / JMC or Barber, although I think Gibson is the more talented back. But with 2 young QBs and another who isn't even a shell of his former self, I think what this team needs most is a running game and to run the ball more consistently. It doesn't mean we need to be predictable like Gruden and always run up the gut on first and 10, but running games are much less prone to the mistakes of a passing game and as we saw on Sunday, we can move the ball down the field with a running game and occasional plays from our QB (say on third downs). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

While he has the rushing and rec ability to be a 3 down back, its really hard when he is so bad in pass pro. I've loved most of what I have seen from him so far, but until he improves there you will continue to see a lot of McK and Barber

Either that or you increase the amount of two back sets, or you give Gibby his plays at WR.

• Like 1

I wonder how many great runners were released because they didn't excel in pass pro.  Here's my take on pass pro. If a guy is SO bad at PP yet so great otherwise including good hands, find a way to let him gash D's. Don't even line him up in the backfield in those obvious blitzing downs.  Sub him out for the mediocre guy, or motion him out wide and make the D be less likely to bring that 1 blitzer that he cannot block anyways.   On a side note, even good blocking RBs miss assignments or otherwise fail to stop the jailbreak by defenses. Why worry about the RB blocking when your guard in on every play sucks ass in PP.

Edited by RandyHolt

Gibson isn't the best back on the roster yet... but he is capable of big plays and games and his ceiling is through the roof.

McKissick is our best back. The way he gets into tight spaces, sets up blocks and cuts off them... It's really fun to watch. He also has more burst than Gibson at the moment because of his experience. McKissick isn't the overall special talent Gibson is, and I think Gibson is going to be really good long term and far surpass McKissick.

But he's still got some things to learn. He's raw as a back and he's showing tremendous improvement already.

Keep McKissick and Gibson as complimentary pieces for awhile. Keep tread off his tires while he learns and grows. Let McKissick get in there to do what he does.

Both guys should be in the 10-20 touches per game range for now. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

Gibson isn't the best back on the roster yet... but he is capable of big plays and games and his ceiling is through the roof.

McKissick is our best back. The way he gets into tight spaces, sets up blocks and cuts off them... It's really fun to watch. He also has more burst than Gibson at the moment because of his experience. McKissick isn't the overall special talent Gibson is, and I think Gibson is going to be really good long term and far surpass McKissick.

But he's still got some things to learn. He's raw as a back and he's showing tremendous improvement already.

Keep McKissick and Gibson as complimentary pieces for awhile. Keep tread off his tires while he learns and grows. Let McKissick get in there to do what he does.

Both guys should be in the 10-20 touches per game range for now. 

Mckissic is playing himself into a role for the next 3 year window. 

From a very fan view, it seems there could be a great future with those two complimenting each other and not just a lightening/thunder type situation but with one another on the field and backing one another up. It seems Turner is exploring and experimenting with ways to do this. Loved seeing Gibson on the field with Mckissic on a fly sweep.

These two together may continue to grow... hopefully it proves to be dynamic— not sure if schematically there’s been a RB duo to play together as part of a key cog to an offense. Anyone know or have a comparison? Not an early down back and 3rd down guy, which we know is common, but two playmakers that play on all downs and often together  (Gibson primarily right now does play on 1st and 2nd though) . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

They must have really, really seen some special RB qualities, and seen them early, for them to almost immediately switch him to RB, considering our dire need at WR, and considering that's where most of his college experience was at.

I think it was so early that they never even “switched” his position. They let people talk themselves into a frenzy about how he was a “weapon”, but they drafted him to be a starting RB. Their eval on him was that in the NFL, with his measurables and skill-set, he was a RB, period. They already knew they had trouble with Guice brewing, on top of the injuries to he and Love. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think it was so early that they never even “switched” his position. They let people talk themselves into a frenzy about how he was a “weapon”, but they drafted him to be a starting RB. Their eval on him was that in the NFL, with his measurables and skill-set, he was a RB, period. They already knew they had trouble with Guice brewing, on top of the injuries to he and Love. 

I think you're spot on. 

I do see him as Kamara-lite from a receiving standpoint in a year or two. 

28 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

“probably a luxury pick”? 

It would be unforgivably stupid and self-destructive. 

I actually don't agree.  With the way offenses are going, have 3 RBs that can play in basically every position on the field is a weapon.  My preference would be O-line, but if we find a way to win this division, we're picking no earlier than 16.  At that point, the best tackles are gone, and if I had to chose between Etienne and Josh Myers... i'm probably taking Etienne.  It could also depend on how the QBs come off the board, but Etienne is on a whole other level.   There is a big gap between Chase and Waddle, and I don't think Pitts goes that high.  If Wilson is there, I can see us taking him, but the way he's going up the draft board...  If Creed Humphrey is there, he's another option, but again... there is no guarantee, plus I don't think the Saadiq Charles at LG experiment is over.  

I could see a path where Etienne is there at 16 and is also the consensus top player left on the board.... hard to turn down that kind of talent in the midst of a rebuild with an offense that is limited on playmakers. 

Edited by OVCChairman

4 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

McKissic has been solid and a nice change of pace but to say he’s is the best back on the roster is a huge overstatement imo. To me it’s not very close as to who is the best back on the roster. AG is superior both physically and statistically, in almost every way. 

Gibson is a better playmaker. He is NOT a better back. Watch the film. :)