Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

46 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Why all the hype on him if his pass pro is non-existent. Why didn't AP warn us! 

We all know by now that all the talent in the world gets punked by no pass pro, and of course, fumbling.

I am thinking I should dump him from my full PPR and pickup Capt Fantastics #1 checkdown instead.

I tried to but he was snatched up in mine. The shoulder injury and questionable tag for Sunday sealed the deal.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I tried to but he was snatched up in mine. The shoulder injury and questionable tag for Sunday sealed the deal.

These hands backs in PPR aren't exciting but get the job done. What really has me baffled was that I expected Gibson to get a lot of targets and that is not happening. Sure he sucks assss in pass pro but leave McKiss into block and motion him out wide. Its not like we are killing it at WR... nor TE. There should be targets for the kid but it appears its not going to happen. He is a run down up the gut back thus far. He is rarely to never on the field for 3rd downs.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

These hands backs in PPR aren't exciting but get the job done. What really has me baffled was that I expected Gibson to get a lot of targets and that is not happening. Sure he sucks assss in pass pro but leave McKiss into block and motion him out wide. Its not like we are killing it at WR... nor TE. There should be targets for the kid but it appears its not going to happen. He is a run down up the gut back thus far. He is rarely to never on the field for 3rd downs.

I’ve been saying this ever since Harmon went down, why the hell don’t we use Gibson as a traditional receiver. Is his route running that bad? He would seem like an ideal receiver for Smith and having him and JD in at the same time would allow smith to always have an easy checkdown. I’d rather have him sucking at downfield blocking than helping chip in on a blitzing defensive end.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever scouted Gibby to be a pure running back with only 33 attempts of tape to watch in college should be running around their offices doing the A Rodgers Discount Double check.

His development has been meteoric.

I'd still like a more Kamara like roll for him, but you can not deny what he has put together with the opportunities he is presented with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Whoever scouted Gibby to be a pure running back with only 33 attempts of tape to watch in college should be running around their offices doing the A Rodgers Discount Double check.

I'd still like a more Kamara like roll for him, but you can not deny what he has put together with the opportunities he is presented with.

And there are people who wanna fire Kyle Smith.

This fan base has no idea how to evaluate coaching/FO talent.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Well, SIP and I were on board with him big time. So thank you. I like to think that our work here on ES carries over to the team... this is the official team message board of the Washington Football Team, so I’m sure they value all of our takes and include them in their scouting reports on the regular.

Thanks for the recognition. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well, SIP and I were on board with him big time. So thank you. I like to think that our work here on ES carries over to the team... this is the official team message board of the Washington Football Team, so I’m sure they value all of our takes and include them in their scouting reports on the regular.

Yep I recall both of us even having to defend the pick here when it happened saying relax guys you'll love him.

Gibson had a small sample at Memphis indeed.  But in that sample, his numbers were rock star level good.   He was a TD and highlight machine.   And he is also a freak, 220 pounds who runs under a 4.4.  He was on my short list of favorite players for that draft.  

I am surprised he hasn't been used more in the passing game.  But as Scott Turner said they have a lot on his plate and are adding more to it incrementally.  As good as he's been this year, I'd bet he breaks out big time next year and is a superstar.

I saw today the hype preview promo for the Dallas game coming up and I thought it was cool they showed Gibson/McLaurin/Young when they promoted the WFT side for the game.

We have ways to go but I think we got some nice building blocks on this team. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You have our collective blessing to do the discount double check as you wait an eternity in queue for a PS5

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not only has Gibson been a pleasant surprise, but the combo of he and McKissick is proving to be a very nice tandem

Agree, that’s a good set-up.

Also noticed that great block on the TD. Very encouraging. he’s improving.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

At the time, the only real question people had with taking him was the fact that we already had AP, Guice and Love.  Few knew Guice had more major issues than his injury history.  AP was old but, hey, we found him last minute.  Love had the injury question but how likely all three would fail? We have found several solid RBs in late rounds or on the NFL garbage heap (one of the best backs we ever had). We had offensive line issues that killed the screen game.  LB was a question and 3rd round is were you historically find a lot of good LBs.  We also had issues at TE and the number 2 WR.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

At the time, the only real question people had with taking him was the fact that we already had AP, Guice and Love.  Few knew Guice had more major issues than his injury history.  AP was old but, hey, we found him last minute.  Love had the injury question but how likely all three would fail? We have found several solid RBs in late rounds or on the NFL garbage heap (one of the best backs we ever had). We had offensive line issues that killed the screen game.  LB was a question and 3rd round is were you historically find a lot of good LBs.  We also had issues at TE and the number 2 WR.

That's why you don't draft for "need." You never really know what positions you will or won't need. Accumulate talent and trust your coaches to figure it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The game is slowing down for him, he is hitting cutbacks with his elite jump cut ability now where he used to just run ahead no matter what. It shows he is working very hard. His acceleration and stride is impressive, he goes ten yards in what looks like an instant. I really like watching him. I did not expect him to be this good out the gate. He is a good one. 

fwiw McKissic is awesome also - he reminds me a lot of Chris Thompson, JD was a great signing 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

The game is slowing down for him, he is hitting cutbacks with his elite jump cut ability now where he used to just run ahead no matter what. It shows he is working very hard. His acceleration and stride is impressive, he goes ten yards in what looks like an instant. I really like watching him. I did not expect him to be this good out the gate. He is a good one. 

fwiw McKissic is awesome also - he reminds me a lot of Chris Thompson, JD was a great signing 

McKissic might be my favorite FA signing. He's such a unique player, who imo is ahead of his time. There are other receiving backs in the league but not many at a 50/50 carry/catch split. This type of runningback will be a staple in the league in about 5 years and every team will have one. 

• Like 2

That's the great thing about both of them, is they are each significant threats as both a runner and receiver.

So, unlike when Chris Thompson was the 3rd Down back, the defense cannot look at either of those 2 RB's and say with almost certainty, "it's going to be a pass play" or "It's going to be a run play" based on who is in the backfield.

Whether it's Gibson or McKissick, there's allmost an equal chance of being a running play or a passing play - and a good one.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Xameil said:

So the question is...do the people that ****ed and moaned about AP getting cut realize the reasoning behind the madness of that?

It's crazy how people were upset about it. AP said after he was cut that Gibson was a stud... he basically conceded defeat. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1