Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

Re Turner: I think we squeezed about as much juice as we could outta that sorry excuse for QB & WR situation. Oh, and we had a home playoff game. There were a few head scratching moments and games, yes, but it’s to be expected no?
I thought he did ok with what he was working with. Now if the O can’t get it together this year w/ an upgrade at QB and WR then I think it’s totally fair to point fingers at Turner. And By get it together I mean an improvement to the 20-13 range in Scoring Offense. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

PFF has him ranked the 10th best Center in the NFL, so my assumption is that he's probably more than just solid.

I agree with you, just saying the 10th best center is met with much less acclaim than say the 10th best QB from the common fan.

Get a kick out of fans rating Olineman is all. like 99% have any spectrum of knowledge of the 160 starters in the NFL rate amongst one another. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Part of why I'm neutral is just how at odds each of the QB's were with what reads and looks they liked throwing to.  So some play calls are solid for one QB but bad for others. 

It wasn't even about what they liked 

Heck it was about what they were physically able to do. Haskins tripped over his own feet during 3 step drops and sent simple dump offs in the flat sailing ten feet above the receivers head.

Amnesty International should have gotten involved over the fact that Alex was being allowed to play with what seemed to be a dead leg that he dragged around while desperately looking for a reciever before throwing the ball in the ground or alternatively being crushed by a blitzer. 

Kyle Allen had 5 professional looking  drives and then his ankle snapped. Turner had the worst QB situation possible. Its what made Taylor H splashing on the scene seem so surreal, to have a QB  dictating to the defense was amazing for once. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I agree with you, just saying the 10th best center is met with much less acclaim than say the 10th best QB from the common fan.

Get a kick out of fans rating Olineman is all. like 99% have any spectrum of knowledge of the 160 starters in the NFL rate amongst one another. 

That would be me, yes lol...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

PFF has him ranked the 10th best Center in the NFL, so my assumption is that he's probably more than just solid.

He's more than solid; he's phat.  Yeah, yeah, it's 3am and i'm still working, so you get either a bad pun or a soft-serve emoticon.  Oh, and what was Roullier, a 6th rounder?  Yeah, phat.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I like McKissic. But I don't think he's going to have the same production.  Fitzpatrick isn't the 2020 QB's throwing quick dumpoffs.

Hopefully his high usage isn't as necessary.

I think his production last year is scripted in a Turner offense, but this year believe a fair amount will go to Curtis Samuel. No reason for Mckissic not to again be a strong contributor though. Third downs featuring those two projects to be a nightmare for opposing defenses. 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 11:28 AM, wit33 said:

Forget all the other stats, if Fitz/Taylor & Turner get the team to 26 points per game next season, we can begin to dream. The defense is ready (outside of dominating in run defense). 

If we get to 26 points a game I see no reason why we don't win 12 games minimum. That means our D will be a lot more rested. And even playing with a lead a lot which would also give our D more turnovers too. We have a tough schedule but I like that. If we have a winning season and win our Division it won't be because our division sucks like last season. It will be well deserved. I really think this is the beginning of a very special D. And on offense we just have to be average. Average will score as much points as a top offense because our d is going to get more turnovers and better field position. I think we can control the clock and surprise teams with a quick strike for big gains or long TDs with all the quickness we have on offense this year. We can do anything with the players on offense. Quick screen for long gains, multiple 5-6 yard run plays or play action pass for 60 yard TD. Only thing I'm worried about is if Gibson gets hurt. I really hope Patterson can step up if he does cause we will need him. But I hope Gobson stays healthy cause we can make some real noise this year. If we play to out potential then all we gotta do is make the playoffs and we can beat anyone. Teams are going to really fear playing against this Defense.

• Like 1

26 a game (in a vacuum) is above average offense.  If our defense is even average as well that's a lock for the playoffs.  If our defense is great, then 26 a game (in a vacuum) is a contender.

We scored 21 a game last season, but a significant chunk was set up by the defense. If our offense is good enough to score 26 a game without defensive touchdowns or getting the ball already in FG range, then Football Team is going to be a problem in the NFC.

FYI, all but 2 NFL teams that scored 26 or more on average, had 11+ wins, except for the Raiders and the Vikings who both had league worst defenses.  They both allowed more points than they scored.

Everybody else with at least competent defense, has clinched a playoff spot but is fighting for seeding in December.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

26 points per game and we're probably fighting for HFA in December.

Doesn’t only the 1 seed get home field in the playoffs? Best i see the team being is 10-7 or 11-6, i dont think that would be good enough for #1 seed in the NFC. Bucs could be 13-4 or 14-3. Same with Seattle. 

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Doesn’t only the 1 seed get home field in the playoffs? Best i see the team being is 10-7 or 11-6, i dont think that would be good enough for #1 seed in the NFC. Bucs could be 13-4 or 14-3. Same with Seattle. 

I don't think he's wrong that we would be in the fight for it though. 26ppg with this defense would be extremely hard for other teams to beat. That's a top 12 scoring offense with potentially the best defense in the league. I think we'd all finally get our dream have winning at least 11 games in the season if that happened (although it took a 17 game season lol)

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Haha 1

Turner was a year 1 coordinator with horrid QB play, young inexperience WRs, a RB that never played the position and a average at best OL. Additionally, no offseason to learn what your players can do situationally. This year the focus is on position flex and speed. I also go back to that clip of McVay sitting on the bench with #8 stating that he is learning.

Edited by joeken24
add

I could be wrong, but I think Roullier is a particularly good run blocker.  He and Scherff are a dynamic inside tandem for the run game, and they are very reliable block winners.  The problem with our run game is a combo of scheme/play calling and a thin running back room.  Setting the coaching issues aside--and they were certainly a factor last season--talent is still a big limitation.  Gibson is our only above replacement level RB and he's not built to be a workhorse.  He's got dodgy vision/anticipation and he's never carried a run game for a season in his football career, especially not anything close to a 17 game NFL season (plus hopefully playoffs).  McKissick and Barber are JAGs.  Replacement level players with zero dynamism.  The only plus trait McKissick has are his hands, and neither he nor Barber are capable of beating even slower LBers to the edge without successful misdirection, nor will they be getting more yards than what's blocked for them.

IMO we are going to skew super pass happy this season and we're going to need our receivers to be dynamic in order to get around our lack of balance.  Going super pass happy with average personnel is not a recipe for a ton of success.  I think we're going to try and use a horizontal passing game and a lot of receiver runs to substitute for a normal run game.  Roullier and Scherff are going to have to kill it in the run game so that we get those easy and reliable reads for Gibson in order to get chunk yardage on early downs.  I'm also hoping Cosmi gets on the field at RT and does well in the run game--at least as good as Moses but hopefully better--and that Thomas is a more reliable blocker this year.  Bates could be.  Then hopefully between Schweitzer, Charles, and Flowers one of those guys will take hold of the LG spot and shine.  That's potentially a pretty good line.  Hopefully good enough for us to be efficient and stay in front of the chains and resist the urge to give up on the run game, which will be in our nature.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I could be wrong, but I think Roullier is a particularly good run blocker.  He and Scherff are a dynamic inside tandem for the run game, and they are very reliable block winners.  The problem with our run game is a combo of scheme/play calling and a thin running back room.  Setting the coaching issues aside--and they were certainly a factor last season--talent is still a big limitation.  Gibson is our only above replacement level RB and he's not built to be a workhorse.  He's got dodgy vision/anticipation and he's never carried a run game for a season in his football career, especially not anything close to a 17 game NFL season (plus hopefully playoffs).  McKissick and Barber are JAGs.  Replacement level players with zero dynamism.  The only plus trait McKissick has are his hands, and neither he nor Barber are capable of beating even slower LBers to the edge without successful misdirection, nor will they be getting more yards than what's blocked for them.

IMO we are going to skew super pass happy this season and we're going to need our receivers to be dynamic in order to get around our lack of balance.  Going super pass happy with average personnel is not a recipe for a ton of success.  I think we're going to try and use a horizontal passing game and a lot of receiver runs to substitute for a normal run game.  Roullier and Scherff are going to have to kill it in the run game so that we get those easy and reliable reads for Gibson in order to get chunk yardage on early downs.  I'm also hoping Cosmi gets on the field at RT and does well in the run game--at least as good as Moses but hopefully better--and that Thomas is a more reliable blocker this year.  Bates could be.  Then hopefully between Schweitzer, Charles, and Flowers one of those guys will take hold of the LG spot and shine.  That's potentially a pretty good line.  Hopefully good enough for us to be efficient and stay in front of the chains and resist the urge to give up on the run game, which will be in our nature.

Define "normal run game" in 2021?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My impression is that Roullier’s not a road grader by any stretch, but a smart blocker with decent athleticism.  Works well at doubling (with Scherff at least), leveraging opponents and can make life harder on linebackers, even if he’s not going to stonewall them often.

I think Gibson can absolutely be a workhorse for us, but I understand why some want him used more dynamically (I kinda feel the same honestly).  He’s got the size, lack of wear/tear, and is pretty good at avoiding big hits… not to mention his ability to pick up positive yards consistently, his speed, etc.  

Regarding his vision, I would actually say that I think it’s good, he’s just inexperienced - he didn’t/doesn’t always know what he’s looking for.  Based on videos posted, it seems he improved pretty dramatically in this facet as the season went along.

I’m with you that I expect us to pretty pass happy.  I mean, we were last year with pretty poor qbing, so I expect the same, or even more this year.  I’m hoping it will depend on how defenses play us.  If they sit back to protect against Fitz looking for the big play, I’d hope we run on those lighter boxes.  Guess we’ll see.  Was not a huge fan of Turner’s, but at least he seemed far less predictable than Gruden’s O.  Hopefully with better pieces and another year in the system we see Turner take a big step forward.

As for the oline, my main hope is that we don’t have a glaring weak link.  Would love to see Cosmi kill it in the run game and Flowers/Leno be clear upgrades, but my expectation (or maybe baseline hope) is good play from Roullier and Scherff, and decent play from the rest.

On 7/8/2021 at 12:01 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I feel like the bucs could easily do that, especially since their schedule for whatever reason looks easier on paper.  Saints twice, rams, bills, redskins, patriots (which could give them a problem), other than that they’ll likely be favored in every game.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, Warhead36 said:

26 points per game and we're probably fighting for HFA in December.

That's assuming our defense doesn't give up any more points than last year. But we now have a QB who doesn't mind taking a few risks. More INTS will lead to a few more points on the opposing teams scoreboard. So I'm thinking points on both sides will be elevated

• 1 year later...