Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

On 5/28/2021 at 10:43 PM, XxSpearheadxX said:

I'm so excited for Gibson. Hopefully his podiatrist got him all straightened out and he has an explosive productive season. I love watching this kid play. 

I never saw anything about Gibson getting surgery.  That's an indication that his injury wasn't severe, just painful.  In contrast Patrick Mahomes did have surgery to repair his turf toe, which there's no rumors or even anyone questioning his ability to 100% recover.  Julio Jones had it in 2017 and nobody is talking about that being any concern as he's being shopped now, 4 years post surgery.  The point is that it's highly unlikely that a young Pro like Gibson, who didn't even appear to require surgery, would have any lingering affects from that injury.  There are more rare cases where a severe turf toe injury that required surgical repair, never fully heals and arthritis sets in down the road.  Good example is Deon Sanders.  He played a few more seasons after turf toe surgery but arthritis later caused him to retire ( a Hall of Famer ).

Gibson appears to be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ability for athletes to receive high quality surgery and the rehabilitation tools available has exponentially changed in the last 25 years. 

Gary Baxter, if anyone remembers 15 years ago, tore both patellar tendons and he was done. Now, you can come back from that.  

Outside of the Alex Smith injuries, I have a lot of confidence in a player being able to contribute within a calendar year of a major joint injury.

Edited by Silvernon

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Outside of the Alex Smith injuries, I have a lot of confidence in a player being able to contribute within a calendar year of a major joint injury.

Ahem, Bryce Love. 

But rehab has certainly come a long long way. 

21 hours ago, Silvernon said:

The ability for athletes to receive high quality surgery and the rehabilitation tools available has exponentially changed in the last 25 years. 

Gary Baxter, if anyone remembers 15 years ago, tore both patellar tendons and he was done. Now, you can come back from that.  

Generally I agree with that.  Medicine is a constant study and continually evolving as it benefits from other sciences.  Outcomes are more predictable as a result. 

With that being said, it's still a little like Los Vegas in the manner where the chances of full recovery still has a percentage of negative outcomes.  This is always the case as everyone is different.  I'd also add that the human error factor is still in play as Doctors still occasionally make mistakes. 

19 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Ahem, Bryce Love. 

Personally I wouldn't take a chance on a guy with major knee history at RB.  The odds on a RB recovering 100% from a major knee are still less likely than likely.  The odds are still negative for 100% and still require more than 1 yr to realize maximum expected recovery.  In the case of Saquon Barkley, this is a good current case, fans & organization expect a 100% recovery.  The fact is that he most likely won't be 100% ever.  Second, his maximum recovery (whatever % that is) likely doesn't happen in 2021, rather 2022.  Doesn't mean his new normal for 2021 won't be good.  It does mean that expectancy is inflated from the reality however. 

P.S.  Patients lie all the time. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Personally I wouldn't take a chance on a guy with major knee history at RB.  The odds on a RB recovering 100% from a major knee are still less likely than likely.  The odds are still negative for 100% and still require more than 1 yr to realize maximum expected recovery.  In the case of Saquon Barkley, this is a good current case, fans & organization expect a 100% recovery.  The fact is that he most likely won't be 100% ever.  Second, his maximum recovery (whatever % that is) likely doesn't happen in 2021, rather 2022.  Doesn't mean his new normal for 2021 won't be good.  It does mean that expectancy is inflated from the reality however. 

P.S.  Patients lie all the time. 

Agreed. Though Nick Chubb looks mighty fine right now. Same with the Vikings RB.

20 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Ahem, Bryce Love. 

I should have specified that I was specifically referring to injuries occurred during NFL tenure. 

College programs, and the corresponding rehab, do not compare to the resources available at the highest level. That's where advances are always seen first. The highest paying clients...and the NFL is up there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

His turf toe lingered from last year into this year.  He needs to have surgery otherwise it could be a wasted season for him.  

I got really worried about him but then I actually listened to him talking about the turf toe and he said it is not affecting his speed or cutting ability at all so then I realized I had been tricked by a media hot take

• Haha 3

His potential is limitless. His health is paramount obviously, but dude has the size and speed to rival ANY RB in the league. 6'0 228lbs 4.39 40....They just don't make them like that very often. Add in the fact he doesn't have a ton of experience at the position and it becomes quite clear that 24 has immense upside.

He showed he can produce at a high level when given the touches.  I think he is just scratching the surface, he's gonna open some eyes this year with an actual passing threat in front of him. He averaged 4.7/carry with about as bad QB play as you can get. Imagine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

His potential is limitless. His health is paramount obviously, but dude has the size and speed to rival ANY RB in the league. 6'0 228lbs 4.39 40....They just don't make them like that very often. Add in the fact he doesn't have a ton of experience at the position and it becomes quite clear that 24 has immense upside.

Haven't been this excited about a #24 - RB since Kelvin "TD" Bryant.  Hopefully Gibson lasts a lot longer tho!

• Like 5

"Gibson will look to build on a breakout rookie season that saw him rush for 795 yards and 11 touchdowns despite missing two games in December due to turf toe, an injury he says he’s recovered from.

"It’s fine, when I’m out there I’m running, I’m making my cuts, jumping whatever I need to do. Of course, it still gets sore but every day I’m still out there running, so it’s not a problem on the field. It’s just something I’m going to have to take care of. Other than that I’m completely fine.”  Link

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I still think he has Faulk/Edge type potential. Maybe not at that level, but I think he could really be special. He's our Run CMC.

I don’t think there is any doubt about that. He’s got Faulks speed and Edge’s size, sky’s the limit for the youngster. Faulk just had those glue hands and overall feel for space and the passing game, which Antonio hopefully develops. I really don’t think even he realizes yet how good he can be. 

I gotta give Turner all the credit in the world with visualizing AG at RB. It’s not an easy transition and takes foresight to see it. It was a home run pick. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 5

On 6/13/2021 at 7:34 AM, Koolblue13 said:

I still think he has Faulk/Edge type potential. Maybe not at that level, but I think he could really be special. He's our Run CMC.

He absolutely has that level of potential. He just needs to stay healthy and be a better pass protect backer , Edge was so good at all aspects of football I think Gibson has that ability

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Y'all comparing him to a couple Hall of Famers lolol. If he's even Brian Westbrook level we'd be thrilled.

not comparing saying he has that level of potential, the physical and mental ability to achieve it. Thats a far cry from getting there, though he does seem like a hard worker. 

Edit:  Its like Chase Young, you don't want to compare a rookie to Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White but when you watch his game the way he moves etc  the players he reminds me of all are Hall of Famers, same with Gibson. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 4