Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

On 9/27/2020 at 10:59 PM, PartyPosse said:

Am I missing something?

I'd say you are, but I don't think it's outright missing the boat.

Reasons to release Peterson:

1) The team isn't using a power back. It's not the direction of the offense. Peyton Barber is the guy getting the carries AP would have had. He's had 21 carries through three games.

• Would AP have taken that role? Maybe. But we do know he was frustrated when he wasn't getting carries before. And a head coach who is new and trying to change the way things go can't have that happening. And it's not even that AP is wrong... It's just that it's not a good situation for either guy.

2) Because of the shift in the type of back, AP didn't fit. 

• Could AP have caught some passes? Yes. But he's not the explosive guy that can line up as a receiver and run receiver routes like Gibson or McKissick. We finally saw them doing that a little more this week.

3) AP doesn't deserve to spend one of the last years of his career on the bench getting 5-10 carries a game. AP deserves to get the rock and chase records. Ron Rivera knows that. 

• He has 14,425 rushing yards for his career. Barry Sanders is 4th all time at 15,269 and Frank Gore is third at 15,347 (and counting). He needed to maximize his carries. He is averaging about 13-14 carries/game, but he had one game with 22, one of 14 and one with 7 with the Lions. I think the one with 7 was more the abberation. 

4) The Washington team moving on from AP was less about AP and more about the "Evaluation" season. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1) The team isn't using a power back. It's not the direction of the offense. Peyton Barber is the guy getting the carries AP would have had. He's had 21 carries through three games.

• Would AP have taken that role? Maybe. But we do know he was frustrated when he wasn't getting carries before. And a head coach who is new and trying to change the way things go can't have that happening. And it's not even that AP is wrong... It's just that it's not a good situation for either guy.

• Could AP have caught some passes? Yes. But he's not the explosive guy that can line up as a receiver and run receiver routes like Gibson or McKissick. We finally saw them doing that a little more this week.

3) AP doesn't deserve to spend one of the last years of his career on the bench getting 5-10 carries a game. AP deserves to get the rock and chase records. Ron Rivera knows that. 

• He has 14,425 rushing yards for his career. Barry Sanders is 4th all time at 15,269 and Frank Gore is third at 15,347 (and counting). He needed to maximize his carries. He is averaging about 13-14 carries/game, but he had one game with 22, one of 14 and one with 7 with the Lions. I think the one with 7 was more the abberation. 

4) The Washington team moving on from AP was less about AP and more about the "Evaluation" season. 

Agreed KDawg.

I would add that AP is a giant, a legendary figure that commands respect and deference both with players in the locker room and to a degree with coaches creating game plans.  He literally takes the air out of any room he enters.

He has command presence.

If AP was still here, to a large degree, this would have been his team. There would be little room for younger, less experienced players (who will presumably be here when we can legitimately contend for a championship) to grow into true leaders if he was still on the team.

Also, AP is best and most comfortable running 7 yards deep out of the I formation with a true fullback— a scheme commitment antithetical to Scott Turners offensive philosophy.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

While it makes sense and I understood the reasoning behind it, his presence is really missing from a team lacking that kind of on-field leadership. Right now the focus is too much on DH on the field. Don’t get me wrong, it should be as he is the QB, but the turnaround from vets to a complete youth movement has really hurt. If this was a decision solely out of respect to AD then I get it, but a much more steady presence out of the backfield would have helped the rest of the offense and given AG time to get a better grasp of the offense. It’s not like their being overly creative in how they’re using the backs and he’s certainly filled a complementary role admirable in Detroit even with Swift and Johnson being used all over the field. 

Hope that Ryan Terain running style doesn’t hurt him in the future lol. He borders on level of RG3 in type of hits he takes. 

Exciting Young player. I imagine his receiving involvement will continue to grow. Love to see him on some option routes or slants. 

Edited by wit33

51 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Hope that Ryan Terain running style doesn’t hurt him in the future lol. He borders on level of RG3 in type of hits he takes. 

Exciting Young player. I imagine his receiving involvement will continue to grow. Love to see him on some option routes or slants. 

He's a big dude, 220 pounds he can take some punishment

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 5.17.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 5.17.37 PM.png

• Like 1