Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

My vote is always to call him what his teammate call him, or his name. Or whatever is easiest to type. Meh sticking to the team theme of bland names, we will call him: Player Name.

Still loving his monster day as Ewok **** the bed and fumbled again. They should really consider using Pollard going forward.

Edited by RandyHolt

20 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

No better way to know if someone or a group will suck. :ols:

I thought the current and cool thing to do these days, is a single letter/initial, followed by a dash, and then the next syllable.

So for him, the formula would make it "A-Gib".

Do I get a "A-Plus" for that ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

My vote is always to call him what his teammate call him, or his name. Or whatever is easiest to type. Meh sticking to the team theme of bland names, we will call Player Name.

Still loving his monster day as Ewok **** the bed and fumbled again. They should really consider using Pollard going forward.

:ols: Player Name!!

He is now RB1. McLaurin is WR1.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Gibson, WR

It's what really separates him from his RB peers.   He is a Cordarrelle Patterson type without a WR number.

I was hoping for him to be our cordarrelle patterson, but he as already shown me he is much more than that. He is a legit NFL RB with some elite qualities and a real power runner. Its amazing he's awesome

• Like 4

21 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I was hoping for him to be our cordarrelle patterson, but he as already shown me he is much more than that. He is a legit NFL RB with some elite qualities and a real power runner. Its amazing he's awesome

Much more... I am not sure I would go there just yet.  I would be interested to see CP as a full time RB  before saying that. And for Gibson to bring a few kickoffs to the house. CP is a proven vet a jock of all trades and very tough runner.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Much more... I am not sure I would go there just yet.  I would be interested to see CP as a full time RB  before saying that. And for Gibson to bring a few kickoffs to the house. CP is a proven vet a jock of all trades and very tough runner.

If Cordarrelle could be a full time RB he would have been one by now. Don't plan on them risking AG on returns unless its one of those special situations like Santana or Darrell would do. 

You can be assured AG not returning kicks/punts is not because he isn't the best on the team at it. (Well... JD McK and Tmac are probably pretty good. They won't be either though!) 

I'm really feeling my enthusiasm on him right now. I really have liked what I saw and he has that magic called hard work - he's improving a little bit every week. 

• Like 1

I think what is surprising to me about Gibson thus far is that he has progressed into a really good RB so quickly.  The scouting on him seemed to suggest that early on he would be used as a more hybrid kind of player as he learned the RB position, but it almost seems like the coaches have gone out of there way to use him strictly as a RB early on in order for him to learn the nuances and differences.  I expected to see him catching the ball in the flat, way more screens, perhaps some more sneaky wheel routes.   I wonder if all that is to come in the future once he the coaches feel he is established at the RB position?

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think what is surprising to me about Gibson thus far is that he has progressed into a really good RB so quickly.  The scouting on him seemed to suggest that early on he would be used as a more hybrid kind of player as he learned the RB position, but it almost seems like the coaches have gone out of there way to use him strictly as a RB early on in order for him to learn the nuances and differences.  I expected to see him catching the ball in the flat, way more screens, perhaps some more sneaky wheel routes.   I wonder if all that is to come in the future once he the coaches feel he is established at the RB position?

Yeah, I think focusing in on his run game was a smart move.  The hard thing about trying to start a player off as a hybrid is they are working on so much at once that by necessity, you’re just giving them a limited package of plays.  This way, they can develop him as a runner and then build the receiving stuff down the road.  Of course, it helps that he has the build of a running back, whereas you wouldn’t be running Patterson up the gut 10-20 times a game.

I know we’ve tried a number of screens (don’t know how many were for him though), but our oline has been a big letdown here... and that’s probably being generous.

Has our run blocking also improved as Gibson has? Not to take anything away from him but we have all seen great backs do little with garbage OL run blocking, Barry aside.  Or maybe our opponents run D were in play as well.

FTR I do have Gibson on my sole year long fantasy but I think we are also seeing good run blocking of late. Look at the hole on the 3rd TD run... that was great all around and as usual, the back gets the accolades.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Has our run blocking also improved as Gibson has? Not to take anything away from him but we have all seen great backs do little with garbage OL run blocking, Barry aside.  Or maybe our opponents run D were in play as well.

FTR I do have Gibson on my sole year long fantasy but I think we are also seeing good run blocking of late. Look at the hole on the 3rd TD run... that was great all around and as usual, the back gets the accolades.

I think both Gibson and our Run blocking have improved, but our level of competition has dropped as well over recent weeks.

The score of the games also had large impacts as we were given the opportunity to run more often. Gibson has had 2 of his top three rush attempt outings in the last 2 games and 3 of his top 6 in his last 3.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I think both Gibson and our Run blocking have improved, but our level of competition has dropped as well over recent weeks.

The score of the games also had large impacts as we were given the opportunity to run more often. Gibson has had 2 of his top three rush attempt outings in the last 2 games and 3 of his top 6 in his last 3.

I think Turner and the staff have turned the corner on understanding how best to use the RBs on the team:

Gibson is a monster out of the shotgun set (truly dynamic) more so for me due to his ability to get the tough yards out of this formation. Just scratching the surface of his receiving ability— he’s going to be tough. 

Mckissic is the fly sweep threat on early downs and the primary on 3rd and 3/longer.

Barber is the under Center back and go to guy for short yardage. 

This has created a good run game that will be tested against better teams coming up. I’m borderline confident because of Alex Smith and him making a career out of this style, brand, and philosophical approach to football, but this was pre injury and when he had some wheels to extend plays/run for timely first downs. Curious to see how capable he is to manage a game against the better teams/defenses as Alex of today. This was no problem for him pre injury. 

• Like 2

Given the shortened offseason, the inexperience, the time needed to develop cohesion/synergy (Gibson, oline and coaching), it makes sense to believe they’re all improving (as KB said).

This next game will be a real test though.  My suspicion is that the weakness of opposing Ds has been a significant factor.  Hope they prove me wrong. 

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 2

to be honest... I thought we would see more of Gibson lining up in the slot to add additional pressure on the defense to adjust but I dont think we have seen much of that all...

I would love Gibson getting lined up against a LB or a safety out of our base offense.