Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

50 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Interesting block by Moses that got the job done lol Cool to see him hyped about the run. Moses is arguably the teams MVP this season if a lineman could ever actually achieve that award lol

As to O line it could also be Scherff who is having a big time season.  I thought the O line was the code red position especially after week 1 but now I don't see it being the team's weakness now.  I'd pick Terry as the team's MVP thus far. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.13.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.14.26 PM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Not when I see Barber looking pedestrian in his role all year. This would’ve been APs role. 

Outside AP's first couple of games in detroit he's been downright awful. Like Peyton Barber awful which is why he's only getting like 5 carries a game.

Neither guy would have moved the needle in their limited carries.

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Outside AP's first couple of games in detroit he's been downright awful. Like Peyton Barber awful which is why he's only getting like 5 carries a game.

Neither guy would have moved the needle in their limited carries.

I no longer possess the ability to judge AP outside of statistical measures, due to not watching the Lions consistently enough, but if AP is 90% of what he was physically the last two seasons with the Skins that still equates to a much better short yardage back than Barber. 

It’s not a move I’m despondent about, but it’s be nice to have AP on the team as a mentor and short yardage guy, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As to O line it could also be Scherff who is having a big time season.  I thought the O line was the code red position especially after week 1 but now I don't see it being the team's weakness now.  I'd pick Terry as the team's MVP thus far. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.13.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.14.26 PM.png

I agree with all of what you said, but his recent new wrinkle of value in playing well at LT is fascinating and makes one wonder if he has a future there. Hmmmm?

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I agree with all of what you said, but his recent new wrinkle of value in playing well at LT is fascinating and makes one wonder if he has a future there. Hmmmm?

If he can play LT well it could solve a major hole.  He certainly has the arm length for it.  If I recall he played LT in college but i might be misrecalling. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wit33 said:

no longer possess the ability to judge AP outside of statistical measures, due to not watching the Lions consistently enough, but if AP is 90% of what he was physically the last two seasons with the Skins that still equates to a much better short yardage back than Barber. 

It’s not a move I’m despondent about, but it’s be nice to have AP on the team as a mentor and short yardage guy, IMO. 

I've watched enough of him this year to know he's passed cooked. What you saw the last couple of years isn't what you're seeing this year. And while I agree about the mentoring aspect, I think you underestimate what Barber brings in terms of a quiet, serviceable back who's never really complained or been in the spotlight good or bad. Blue collar aspect as opposed to AP who was all glitz and glamor. Don't get me wrong, he earned that right and his incredible work ethic would have been influential, but he's also earned the right to not end his career being just that. I respect Ron giving him a chance to go elsewhere and carve out a prominent role as opposed to here.

33 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Since we all love abbreviated nicknames...

Antonio Gandy Golden : AG2

Antonio Gibson : AG1

Number is not random. But of course, represents how many capital G's in their last name

Gibs.

I love watching that guy run. The first person never gets him. Like ever. It's amazing. His change of direction ability is unreal and he is a big back. 

I really think he'll have a memorable career. I really do. He's a bigger faster Faulk is the comparison I tend to lean to. 

@Skinsinparadise the main thing I get from that list of quality lineman is the cost of our 2012 draft trade.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I've watched enough of him this year to know he's passed cooked. What you saw the last couple of years isn't what you're seeing this year. And while I agree about the mentoring aspect, I think you underestimate what Barber brings in terms of a quiet, serviceable back who's never really complained or been in the spotlight good or bad. Blue collar aspect as opposed to AP who was all glitz and glamor. Don't get me wrong, he earned that right and his incredible work ethic would have been influential, but he's also earned the right to not end his career being just that. I respect Ron giving him a chance to go elsewhere and carve out a prominent role as opposed to here.

I mean, a statistical comparison isn’t even debatable for Barber and Peterson this year, so if Peterson looks “cooked”, what label does Barber sporting a 2.4 ypc average get?  

I’m not all that passionate about it and Gibson looks to be the short yardage guy in Shotgun sets and Barber when under center. You hope Gibson learns how to run when QB is under center, because he looks atrocious when asked to do so. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I mean, a statistical comparison isn’t even debatable for Barber and Peterson this year, so if Peterson looks “cooked”, what label does Barber sporting a 2.4 ypc average get?  

I’m not all that passionate about it and Gibson looks to be the short yardage guy in Shotgun sets and Barber when under center. You hope Gibson learns how to run when QB is under center, because he looks atrocious when asked to do so. 

Come on. You know you can’t make a comparison. Barber’s use is predictable. It’s never fancy. Always a pretty traditional formation where he runs north-south. He’s never a threat to catch anything hence his two targets all year. In other words his role isn’t to actually produce but to tighten up the defense. Far different from being a featured lead back, which AP has been for a good chunk of the season (justifiably or not). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wit33 said:

Not when I see Barber looking pedestrian in his role all year. This would’ve been APs role. 

AP would've never been content with a small role like that.  He forced his way out of NO when he had that role.  He wants carries and yards so he can move up the all time list.  I'm a big AP fan, but I understood the move then and still feel it's the right move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

AP would've never been content with a small role like that.  He forced his way out of NO when he had that role.  He wants carries and yards so he can move up the all time list.  I'm a big AP fan, but I understood the move then and still feel it's the right move.

Is AP remaining quiet while getting limited carries with the Lions or is he complaining?

It may be time to  throw away the "AP will throw a fit if he's not getting enough carries because of four years ago" narrative.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Mine was where Trents name still is on that list.  Never mind.

This point isn't directed at you.  Mine is you can take an already talented team add an elite LT and just be a "meh" team.  Trent didn't change that team like he didn't change ours.   I know injuries and not the easiest division.   But heck adding an elite LT to a SB roster and you go from the best to one of the worst teams in the NFC just like that?  Be one thing if Trent was alone on that O line.  But they also have one of the best RTs and one of the best guards.  And the other two aren't bad.    And they also have good receivers and one of the best TEs -- granted that they lost recently.  And their defense is still good in spite of the injuries. 

It's quarterback, quarterback, quarterback.  You can surround Mullens with a stout O line and weapons but without a QB, they are just a "meh" team.  That's just how the NFL works, sadly.

We need....:ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This point isn't directed at you.  

Don’t bloody quote me then :rofl89:

Only joking of course, yeah I’m not massively stressed over having an elite LT. That was more about having lost one who is still up there.

No doubt we need a QB. if we have Smith or a rookie at QB next year though we need to keep them clean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Don’t bloody quote me then :rofl89:

Only joking of course, yeah I’m not massively stressed over having an elite LT. That was more about having lost one who is still up there.

No doubt we need a QB. if we have Smith or a rookie at QB next year though we need to keep them clean.

Be interesting to see if Moses can transition well to the LT.  If so and they resigned Scherff at RG, then to me O line isn't really a need at all. You then keep Lucas at RT.   And in that context adding Sewell to me doesn't do much to the bottom line for the team's success at least in the short term.   If they lose Scherff or feel they need a tackle then it becomes interesting.  But to me right now I don't think tackle is a slam dunk need the way some other spots are. 

My points on the O line are somewhat all over the place so I think the best way for me to sum it up is:

A.  I don't subscribe that a stout O line makes a mediocre QB good.  I think mediocre QB = mediocre team regardless of the O line.

B.  If you have a really good Qb then the O line gets interesting to me.  A strong O line with a really good QB can = a really good team.

C. My level of confidence of building a strong O line first and later just assume we find that QB where it just sort of comes together = IMO sounds great but its fantasy land.  Sure its possible anything is possible but its unlikely. 

D.  If you find that QB, you can build the O line -- its not that hard if you dedicate resources to it.  The unicorn isn't building an O line --  not even close.  The unicorn is finding that franchise QB. 

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Be interesting to see if Moses can transition well to the LT.  If so and they resigned Scherff at RG, then to me O line isn't really a need at all. 

Probably one for the OL thread but the progress of Schweitzer is a bonus. I’m almost inclined to push the cash at Scherff to box of the guard slots. I’m all for drafting an OT on day 2 though.

and it make it relevant to this thread, that’s all to the benefit of Gibson.:)

47 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Probably one for the OL thread but the progress of Schweitzer is a bonus. I’m almost inclined to push the cash at Scherff to box of the guard slots. I’m all for drafting an OT on day 2 though.

and it make it relevant to this thread, that’s all to the benefit of Gibson.:)

It's a deep looking draft IMO for the O line.  I like Scherff more than most so I'd consider working out a deal within reason if possible.  

I just got my fingers crossed that we find a young QB in this draft.  Will see.  I don't have an issue with building a stout O line -- I like the idea but I am just not in the camp that its the most important thing or if you build it, the rest of it will just come together when the time is right.   The most important thing by a country mile is QB and they are really hard to find.  You can have a killer O line and stink.   And if we bring back Scherff and Roullier I think we are pretty close to having a good O line let alone it being a mess as some contend.  

Schweitzer being a find is a pleasant surprise.  On a three year deal, too.  

As for Gibson, I love him as a player, loved him before the draft.  But it feels like we can use a really good inside runner type as a complement.  If we don't get a QB and go O line early.  I might try to double down on the idea and become more of a running team and take one in this draft to complement what we have with the disclaimer of only if its an exception runner and to me Najee Harris fits that mold.  Especially if its Sewell taking a round earlier who is an elite run blocker IMO. 

For me I think it will limit them to an 8-8, 9-7 kind of team and they will be no threat in the playoffs.  but heck if you don't want to stink then the best formula to overcome mediocre QB play to me is a stellar running game and killer defense.  I don't think you can overcome mediocre QB play to the extent that you can be great with that formula but you could be good.    It's not my plan A by a long shot but that would be my plan B. 

• Like 1