Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think we're drafting that high. I think we finish outside the top 10 by a good margin. I could be wrong of course, but Smith will only win us more games. It's what he does. I think that will do wonders for the team and all the young players we have. Especially with a large purse courting FAs next season.

I'm secretly happy picking in the middle though. Makes things more exciting and I hate caring about the QB position.  :ols: 

Looks that way now.  For Alex to win games he needs typically a strong supporting cast, I wasn't so sure he had that with the holes on the roster but when your backup DT, Tim Settle has 5 sacks and guys like Gibson keep developing into studs.   Maybe they do?  I like Alex, don't love him.  I think we got zero shot to go anywhere in the playoffs ever with Alex if we get there.  He's not the type of dude who can go toe to toe with the Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson types, etc.   And I get the 9-7 and a playoff birth and a first round knock out is better than stinking.  But I have limits to how much I can enjoy that.  That's sort of peak Dan Snyder era, we've experienced that type of high before. It's nice but its not giddy level nice at least not for me. 

But I'd certainly take Alex over Haskins any day.   I also could get more jazzed about Alex if he was 23 versus a dude who will be 37 next year.  I do think we need to find a young QB.  So it looks like back to the lottery at QB.  Maybe Zach Wilson ends up a Cowboy now.  He'd be an interesting dude there considering he's sort of a faster Tony Romo. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

There were a couple of people who touted Gibson when he was drafted. For me, he was a head scratcher and I really worried he was a workout warrior without a position. He had so few snaps at college and it wasn't like he came from a school that always generated top talent that he had to sit behind. So, it felt like a pick where potential was chosen over production and those are dangerous.

With McClaurin and now Gibson, we seem to have flipped potential into production. I'm not sure if I deserve to eat crow, but I will tell ya, I enjoy being proven wrong.

For the record, I don't remember the record, but I think I was wanting a left tackle or guard, figuring we didn't have either on the team. I'm not sure I was wrong about that, but Gibson sure seems to be a find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks that way now.  For Alex to win games he needs typically a strong supporting cast, I wasn't so sure he had that with the holes on the roster but when your backup DT, Tim Settle has 5 sacks and guys like Gibson keep developing into studs.   Maybe they do?  I like Alex, don't love him.  I think we got zero shot to go anywhere in the playoffs ever with Alex if we get there.  He's not the type of dude who can go toe to toe with the Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson types, etc.   And I get the 9-7 and a playoff birth and a first round knock out is better than stinking.  But I have limits to how much I can enjoy that.  That's sort of peak Dan Snyder era, we've experienced that type of high before. It's nice but its not giddy level nice at least not for me. 

But I'd certainly take Alex over Haskins any day.   I also could get more jazzed about Alex if he was 23 versus a dude who will be 37 next year.  I do think we need to find a young QB.  So it looks like back to the lottery at QB.  Maybe Zach Wilson ends up a Cowboy now.  He'd be an interesting dude there considering he's sort of a faster Tony Romo. 

We all want a top prospect to be our franchise QB, but that's not happening this year. At least not by getting a top 5 draft pick. Figure we'll be around .500 the last 5. Might as well enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He's on pace to have over 1000 yards rushing and he already has 11 TD's, he has to be on the board for rookie of the year, probably wont get it but he has to be in the conversation if he finishes up strong.

With Burrow out and Tua not getting enough time to play, the O-rookie of the year is Herbert's to lose.  

Gibson should be in the conversation though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We all want a top prospect to be our franchise QB, but that's not happening this year. At least not by getting a top 5 draft pick. Figure we'll be around .500 the last 5. Might as well enjoy the ride.

Probably.  I can enjoy good wins like yesterday.  I want the team to look good.  Squeaking by bad teams like beating Finley and the Bengals do nothing for me.  But if they demolish a bad team like they did yesterday, I can enjoy that.  It should be interesting to see how they fare against the Steelers.  It's been a while since they had a real challenging team -- arguably it being just Rams and Arizona thus far and they weren't competitive in either game.

• Like 1

His vision is below average and can only run out the gun, but even with that, he’s having a dynamic rookie season. The gun runs seem to simplify things for him a great deal. Tons of room for growth. Exciting stuff! 

Edited by wit33

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Many different ways to win in the NFL, as you know. Sure, does every franchise want an elite guy at the QB spot, but you can go broke waiting to hit on one (most likely you will). 

This teams coaching staff (philosophy of building around a strong defense and run game) and talent on defense is trending in direction of being able to support a top 15-20 guy. 

I’m on side of needing to watch Smith a bit more before deciding if he should be the starter next year, especially at a $20mil per year clip. Would be nice if he worked with the team on that deal. I was a supporter of Smith due to his ability to extend off-script and run for 1st downs, these factors helped mitigate his weaknesses as a passer. He no longer has his running ability, so he must show he can threaten teams in other ways and be a guy who can keep the chains moving from the pocket. 

34 minutes ago, wit33 said:

His vision is below average and can only run out the gun, but even with that, he’s having a dynamic rookie season. The gun runs seem to simplify things for him a great deal. Tons of room for growth. Exciting stuff! 

His vision is much improved. Below average is extremely harsh and I advise watching other teams and their backs. At WORST his vision is currently average.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, wit33 said:

You want bad vision?  Here is bad vision:

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Probably.  I can enjoy good wins like yesterday.  I want the team to look good.  Squeaking by bad teams like beating Finley and the Bengals do nothing for me.  But if they demolish a bad team like they did yesterday, I can enjoy that.  It should be interesting to see how they fare against the Steelers.  It's been a while since they had a real challenging team -- arguably it being just Rams and Arizona thus far and they weren't competitive in either game.

You are forgetting we had a new coach and system with no preseason games and we went up against two good teams with experienced QBs and coaches, when we played the Rams and Cards.  I think we would give both those teams a much better game now. We had to beat Cincy as they were and pos still are the worst team in the league. Far as Dallas, it was great embarrassing them on their home field in front of the whole country. The Steelers are brutal but the have no running game. Pos to get some turnovers and if anything goes right we may be able to give them a good game. Pos they take us to light and we can sneak up on them. That are beatable but you have to slow their passing game somehow. Cheers.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Many different ways to win in the NFL, as you know. Sure, does every franchise want an elite guy at the QB spot, but you can go broke waiting to hit on one (most likely you will). 

This teams coaching staff (philosophy of building around a strong defense and run game) and talent on defense is trending in direction of being able to support a top 15-20 guy. 

Sure they could support a 15-20 guy, they can even support a 20-25 guy.  To me the question is what is the ceiling?   IMO the ceiling is limited with average QB play -- you can be competitive but you are unlikely going to take on the big boys with the big boy QBs.  Its possible but unlikely.  But you will ensure you don't stink and you can likely beat the Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick types for sure. 

As for Alex, I loved how he played against the Lions.  That was his best game.  I think he was OK the last two games.   I am fine with Alex.  I just don't think they can go deep into the playoffs with him.  But I do think they can make the playoffs with him.   Feel the same about Kyle Allen.  If the goal is to replicate or even slightly improve on the 2015-2017 era I think we have the horses to do it.  But my ambition is higher than that albeit at the time I enjoyed not stinking for a change.  

6 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

You are forgetting we had a new coach and system with no preseason games and we went up against two good teams with experienced QBs and coaches, when we played the Rams and Cards.  I think we would give both those teams a much better game now. We had to beat Cincy as they were and pos still are the worst team in the league. Far as Dallas, it was great embarrassing them on their home field in front of the whole country. The Steelers are brutal but the have no running game. Pos to get some turnovers and if anything goes right we may be able to give them a good game. Pos they take us to light and we can sneak up on them. That are beatable but you have to slow their passing game somehow. Cheers.

I didn't judge them on losing to the Rams and Cards.  What I said was I have that in mind from the context of lets see them play with some big boy teams like the Steelers and Seahawks coming up because the first run didn't look hot on that front.  Heck I even said I don't even need them to win.  So I think i gave them a pretty soft landing on all of that.  

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

His vision is much improved. Below average is extremely harsh and I advise watching other teams and their backs. At WORST his vision is currently average.

Ya, I couldn’t tell you what the difference is between below average and average, so maybe his is now average. Currently, he’s dynamic out of the gun set where the run asks him to get down hill and requires less feel/nuance. 

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

His vision pulled the LBer into the hole and allowed him to kick outside. 

Great run, no doubt. He’s working at it and you can see he’s gaining confidence and ownership of runs he makes and misses. 

Why do you think he struggles when QB is under center?? He’s really bad, IMO. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure they could support a 15-20 guy, they can even support a 20-25 guy.  To me the question is what is the ceiling?   IMO the ceiling is limited with average QB play -- you can be competitive but you are unlikely going to take on the big boys with the big boy QBs.  Its possible but unlikely.  But you will ensure you don't stink and you can likely beat the Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick types for sure. 

You can beat any QB not named Mahomes (lol) with great defense and strong supporting cast. Rodgers hasn’t won a SB in 15 years and he’s a top 5 QB of all time. 

I can’t say enough how much I dislike the argument of winning the SB being the end all be all, but I understand that’s an opinion. If I have coaching staff, philosophy, a top 20 QB (being paid 5-7% of the cap), a great supporting cast and that provided a window 3 consecutive playoff runs, 2 NFC title game losses and a first round exit... I will not view that as a failure or find something to blame. All time great QBs don’t win SBs either and many go 10-15 years without winning one, but somehow that one means negates all the other seasons. 

As for Alex, I loved how he played against the Lions.  That was his best game.  I think he was OK the last two games.   I am fine with Alex.  I just don't think they can go deep into the playoffs with him.  But I do think they can make the playoffs with him.   Feel the same about Kyle Allen.  If the goal is to replicate or even slightly improve on the 2015-2017 era I think we have the horses to do it.  But my ambition is higher than that albeit at the time I enjoyed not stinking for a change. 

This is where we divide and have often in the past, you can’t just grant Kyle Allen the ability to lead a franchise to the playoffs as if that’s nothing when comparing to Alex Smith. Smith being a winning QB 9 consecutive years means something man lol. 

I didn't judge them on losing to the Rams and Cards.  What I said was I have that in mind from the context of lets see them play with some big boy teams like the Steelers and Seahawks coming up because the first run didn't look hot on that front.  Heck I even said I don't even need them to win.  So I think i gave them a pretty soft landing on all of that.  

I agree with you here, I’m not done in my evaluation of Smith and whether I want to see him as the starter next year. Need to see if he can manage games and keep the chains moving agains better teams. If they were to bring him back, I’d like to see Alex work with the team on the money, but the NFL is weird with how they just give starting QBs money. 

... It was no secret that Gibson was an explosive talent at the University of Memphis, but we're only now getting to see that potential fulfilled over the past month in the pros.

...Gibson's path to the here and now started with a stop at the 2020 Senior Bowl, where Gibson's play was able to sell many on his ability to play ball at a high level despite such a limited resume at the running back position. I remember taking an elevator to the hotel gym after the week of practices and running into the great Charles Davis and asking him who he was most excited about from the week.

The first name he mentioned? Antonio Gibson. Good call, Charles!

Davis certainly wasn't alone. There was plenty of buzz from the NFL draft community about Gibson as a prospect. He ultimately fell 84th overall on TDN's final consensus player rankings of 2020 before being drafted 66th overall by Washington. And now, with Washington in position to make a push to the postseason if they can string together enough wins to claim the NFC East, their patience in slow-playing Gibson along is starting to pay off. His explosiveness and fresh legs are jumping off the screen as he continues to progress as a featured piece of the Washington offense.

...it is no wonder Gibson's 4.39s 40-time is putting defenders into cement as they try to press and squeeze him in the hole—this ain't your typical Washington running back, even if he's built like one at 6-foot and 228 pounds.

They say you can find running backs just about anywhere and everywhere—and that may be true—but you don't find athletes like Gibson lying around very often, which is why Washington was so eager to bet big on a running back prospect with just 33 career carries coming out of college. We sure as hell aren't in position to argue with them at this point and Gibson figures to only get better from here as he continues to uncover his potential and discover his flair for carrying the football.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/antonio-gibson-thriving-washington

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I can’t say enough how much I dislike the argument of winning the SB being the end all be all, but I understand that’s an opinion. If I have coaching staff, philosophy, a top 20 QB (being paid 5-7% of the cap), a great supporting cast and that provided a window 3 consecutive playoff runs, 2 NFC title game losses and a first round exit... I will not view that as a failure or find something to blame. All time great QBs don’t win SBs either and many go 10-15 years without winning one, but somehow that one means negates all the other seasons. 

I didn't say they'd likely make the NFC title game with average QB play but just not a SB.  But if I did I'd be with your point 100%.

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

You can beat any QB not named Mahomes (lol) with great defense and strong supporting cast. Rodgers hasn’t won a SB in 15 years and he’s a top 5 QB of all time. 

No one said guarantees about anything.  but Rodgers is just about always in the hunt.  So is Wilson.  And i'd bet money Murray and the Cards will soon be in that conversation.

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This is where we divide and have often in the past, you can’t just grant Kyle Allen the ability to lead a franchise to the playoffs as if that’s nothing when comparing to Alex Smith. Smith being a winning QB 9 consecutive years means something man lol. 

I got no idea what your point is here.  Is this you saying I said Kyle is better than Alex?

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't say they'd likely make the NFC title game with average QB play but just not a SB.  But if I did I'd be with your point 100%.

Smith has made it to an NFC title game. 

No one said guarantees about anything.  but Rodgers is just about always in the hunt.  So is Wilson.  And i'd bet money Murray and the Cards will soon be in that conversation.

What label do you give Alex Smith teams if not “in the hunt”. 

I got no idea what your point is here.  Is this you saying I said Kyle is better than Alex?

You said you feel Kyle Allen could be a playoff QB like Smith. Something along those lines. 

To be honest, I don’t think we’re that far off on what we want for the future, but disagree on the kind of career Smith has had. Who cares lol. 

19 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Smith has made it to an NFC title game.

In his 14 year career, 5 playoff appearances.  He's 2-5 in the playoffs, mostly 1 and out.  If your point is maybe they can win a playoff game -- looks like he did so twice. 

But my point isn't about a deep dive into Alex Smith.  I wouldn't even be shocked if they made the playoffs he retired after this season.   He hasn't committed yet to playing next year.  My point is wanting better than average QB play is more than just some yawner point, no big deal, to me its a really big deal.  If you disagree?  OK. 

What label do you give Alex Smith teams if not “in the hunt”.

A legit threat to go all the way.

You said you feel Kyle Allen could be a playoff QB like Smith. Something along those lines. 

To be honest, I don’t think we’re that far off on what we want for the future, but disagree on the kind of career Smith has had. Who cares lol. 

I entertained the idea that a stacked roster and an average QB can make the playoffs.  I simply enterainted the idea that Kyle Allen can be average.  If that bothers you in the context of Alex...If it helps in another post I compared Allen to being a Ryan Fitzpartrick type and in a different post I said Alex > Ryan Fitzpatrick.  But my thought on Kyle is I really have no idea.  But I can entertain the idea of him being average. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's John Riggins numbers once his head freakin' coach figured out what to do with him.

You know where Riggins is today?  Yeah, that's right, in an oversized tent somewhere on the upper Potomac, in a yellow jacket drinkin' a beer.

Still gettin' respect.

• Haha 2