Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

$2.59 right now in southern California, 30 cents cheaper than the next lowest. 

Gas is under $3 everywhere now. Truly this is the end of days. 

That’s still to much but we know CA always higher than rest if the country.  Think I saw Kentucky had it down to below a dollar.

35 minutes ago, Bacon said:

$2.59 right now in southern California, 30 cents cheaper than the next lowest. 

Gas is under $3 everywhere now. Truly this is the end of days. 

Last weekend I saw $1.79 in Unionville, VA.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

It should be and not just for the more noble reasons of more time with family and the mental health benefits of spending less time in traffic.  Truth is most bloated companies have a lot of staff they don’t need in office.  They can hire people for less if they let them live farther away from most job centers.  Those people can also take 80% of the usual salary and live better in Kentucky than they can in NoVA at 100%.  Companies spend a fortune in office space rent as well, cutting it down is more money in the bank.

What’s the point of all this communications tech if we all still have to live in the highest rent and highest traffic areas just to have access to jobs?  

Maybe it’s time to spread out again.  At least for jobs that allow it.

The effect on commercial real estate, primarily Retail and Office, is going to be interesting to see.  Industrial and multifamily will likely stay strong though. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

"Boredom " isn't quite the right word. "Distracted" is probably closer to the word I'm looking for. For awhile now, Ive been so used to 100% making the most of the limited entertainment time that I had, that when I finally have plenty of time, I don't really know what to do with it

Everything I did was routine oriented, and now that there's so many moments where I can ad-lib and chill out, I'm finding it difficult to sit still and just ****ing pick something to do.  I was always moving on to the next thing, whatever that thing was, and now my "Thing" is to literally sit at my computer in my room and "Work," and do basically nothing else of note from a leaving the house standpoint. No gym, no dating, no trips to the barber shop, no going out with friends/co-workers, etc.

But all the shows and games and movies I've regrettably missed over the years? It's all here. It's like getting 3 wishes from a sneaky cable god/djinn.

You get what you want (sort of) by giving up something you cherish in return.

Have you tried not really doing anything? I have youtube playing on the tv while I mess around on my PC, its what i've been doing all day if I'm not napping or chilling in the bathtub. Embrace the sloth.

2 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Have you tried not really doing anything? I have youtube playing on the tv while I mess around on my PC, its what i've been doing all day if I'm not napping or chilling in the bathtub. Embrace the sloth.

Went for a "Embrace nature " walk earlier today, and that cleared out some of the mental clutter. 

Think I'm gonna start with Westerns. Just an assload of Western's. I realized a lot of the stuff I enjoy is dark and "World ending" in nature, and I'm gonna chill on that front for a minute.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Bay Area is drinking 42% more alcohol than usual while sheltering in place

You aren’t the only one who’s been drinking more.

During the first week of sheltering in place, Bay Area residents drank more alcohol than usual — 42% more than usual, in fact, according to data from BACtrack, a San Francisco company that produces smartphone-connected breathalyzer devices.

The idea for the study came from people’s anecdotal impressions that drinking was up, said BACtrack CEO Keith Nothacker. “We said, let’s go check the data. Sure enough, drinking had exploded post-shelter-in-place.”

The BACtrack findings dovetail with reports of increased demand for alcohol delivery: San Francisco online retailer Wine.com reports that its spirits sales have surged 400% since shelter-in-place orders started, for example. Newly relaxed regulations from California’s Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control have made it legal for bars and restaurants to deliver ****tails now, too.

Click on the link for the full article

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Speaking of rich does anyone think Carnival cruise lines would be worth investing in? It's trading at like $8 a share for obvious reasons. 

I’ve been on quite a few cruises....7, I think.

Gonna be long time before I get on another big boat.  May never happen again,

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Warning:  Any job that can be done from home, is a job that can be outsourced for practically nothing.  

And you get what you pay for.  Especially in my industry (software development).

An experienced developer making $100k/yr can easily get more done than 2+ inexperienced people making $50k/yr, and those people could actually make things way way worse, but that may not be known for months after they have started working, costing the company a whole lot more money.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Anyone who tells you anything right now is just throwing poo at the wall.  Nobody knows what is to come.  Long term though, I can see it.

wait for 6

:pint:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Watched 1917 today.

Someone told me it was slow and boring. I told him that as an American he should have showed up three quarters of the way through.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 3

Minor update. Her temp has been varying, but seems like must of the day it was 101. When she woke up it was 104. So, that's a relatively good thing. Doctor says that as long as her symptoms stay similar that they are doing what they can and she's best served at home. So, nervous, but strangely relieved. Her husband and my nephew also seem to be doing better. Low grade fevers.

Doc says she has two more weeks to endure. Hopefully, they all come out unscathed.

• Like 11

Was lazy today.  Really did nothing at all today.  I did watch  "Spenser Confidental" with Mark Walburg.  It was based on Ace Atkin's novel "Wonderland".   He's the current writer for novels for Robert B. Parker character, Spenser.   IF you remember the 80's TV show, Spenser for Hire; you will like this movie.  

Will probably watch one more movie, before going to bed.

• Like 1