Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

36 minutes ago, visionary said:

I wonder if that's because Trump is simply bored with COVID-19 and can't be arsed to even talk about it, because he's having a hissy fit that his magical reality bending powers can't seem to control the virus and it has to be admitted to exist again, or because his staff is doing everything they can to keep him away for fear that he'll go completely off the rails and make an ass of himself like he did before.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Except if you are wearing a mask you are not going to get it or die. They are not going to wear a mask and it may/will kill them. Less idiots on the planets are fine by me. :)

Universal masking doesn't work that way.

"The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

People not wearing masks can absolutely give it to people who are. They're not hazmat suits.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This is fair, but the claim that different outcomes in Canada and the US is due mainly to differing health systems seems spurious.

I'm partial to believing that Canada's better outcomes is most likely due to a population that's healthier in general. I haven't looked up any statistics, but I bet the rates of smoking and obesity are far lower up north. 

3 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

Other people wearing a mask keeps their nasty covid infested  breath from reaching you by making their exhalation go up and down instead of right at you. 

I've just been practicing holding my breath for as long as possible. I'm up to two minutes now, so if I'm quick, I can run into the grocery store and buy milk before I pass out. 

3 hours ago, techboy said:

Universal masking doesn't work that way.

"The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

People not wearing masks can absolutely give it to people who are. They're not hazmat suits.

N95 mask will prevent you from getting the virus. This is according to a doctor as well that was on the radio talking about opening up sports. 

Your eyes are still not protected though. I recommend goggles for that. 😊

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

N95 mask will prevent you from getting the virus. This is according to a doctor as well that was on the radio talking about opening up sports. 

Your eyes are still not protected though. I recommend goggles for that. 😊

So doctors wearing N95 masks at hospitals have never contracted COVID-19?  False.

It's in the name.  95 means it prevents 95% of particles, not 100%.  From the Mayo Clinic (and I'll take their word over yours):

N95 masks
Actually a type of respirator, an N95 mask offers more protection than a surgical mask does because it can filter out both large and small particles when the wearer inhales. As the name indicates, the mask is designed to block 95% of very small particles. Some N95 masks have valves that make them easier to breathe through. With this type of mask, unfiltered air is released when the wearer exhales.

Health care providers must be trained and pass a fit test to confirm a proper seal before using an N95 respirator in the workplace. Like surgical masks, N95 masks are intended to be disposable. However, researchers are testing ways to disinfect N95 masks so they can be reused.

Some N95 masks, and even some cloth masks, have one-way valves that make them easier to breathe through. But because the valve releases unfiltered air when the wearer breathes out, this type of mask doesn't prevent the wearer from spreading the virus. For this reason, some places have banned them.

Oh, and BTW, most people in the general public don't have access to N95 masks and don't have the training to use them properly.  Hell, go look around, people wearing regular masks aren't using them properly.  How many times have you seen people not covering their nose when wearing a mask?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

On one hand, the US numbers are trending up. On the other hand, numbers in VA (and Fairfax County) are definitely trending down.

Whats a man to do?

Congratulate himself for settling down in a sane part of the country.  I see the vast majority of people with masks in inside shops around here.  This past week however, the one glaring exception has been teenagers.  Starbucks, grocery store, restaurants, I’ve seen groups of teens not wearing masks.  I guess that what rebelling looks like during a pandemic. 

3 hours ago, China said:

So doctors wearing N95 masks at hospitals have never contracted COVID-19?  False.

It's in the name.  95 means it prevents 95% of particles, not 100%.  From the Mayo Clinic (and I'll take their word over yours):

Oh, and BTW, most people in the general public don't have access to N95 masks and don't have the training to use them properly.  Hell, go look around, people wearing regular masks aren't using them properly.  How many times have you seen people not covering their nose when wearing a mask?

The mayo clinic thing doesn't talk about particle size though. Since I was a bio major, size matters. I try to backup what I say by doing my own research. I don't make up claims when it comes to biology especially when i used to work in a hospital (a very long time ago though). The doctors who did get the virus with N95 mask probably got it by other means, like the eyes.  

I have a N95 without the outlets. Is it a little harder to breath. Yes. Will it save my life, probably. 

Please don't take my words for it though. Read this instead....

“There is never a naked virus floating in the air or released by people,” said Linsey Marr, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech who specializes in airborne transmission of viruses.

The virus attaches to water droplets or aerosols (i.e. really small droplets) that are generated by breathing, talking, coughing, etc. These consist of water, mucus protein and other biological material and are all larger than 1 micron.

“Breathing and talking generate particles around 1 micron in size, which will be collected by N95 respirator filters with very high efficiency,” said Lisa Brosseau, a retired professor of environmental and occupational health sciences who spent her career researching respiratory protection.

Continue reading here: https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/06/16/politifact-claim-that-n95-masks-cant-stop-covid-19-particles-due-to-size-is-nonsense/

Edited by zskins

4 hours ago, Destino said:

Congratulate himself for settling down in a sane part of the country.  I see the vast majority of people with masks in inside shops around here.  This past week however, the one glaring exception has been teenagers.  Starbucks, grocery store, restaurants, I’ve seen groups of teens not wearing masks.  I guess that what rebelling looks like during a pandemic. 

Maybe they’re all republicans...

I’ve started going to the gym again. I’m planning on playing pickup hockey this Sunday as long as the numbers are still as low as they have been.

12 hours ago, Springfield said:

On one hand, the US numbers are trending up. On the other hand, numbers in VA (and Fairfax County) are definitely trending down.

Whats a man to do?

The whole DMV is trending down, which is great.

It's almost like the entire nation would have benefited from a coordinated federal response so every state would be in the same position as Virginia, Maryland, etc... ugh. 

It was surreal listening to Atty General Barr today talking about how Governor's did not/do not have the authority to impose lockdowns.

Refresh my memory, what did his boss say? Something to the effect of, "It's up to the governors."?

Secondly, my idiotic in-laws are having family over from Arizona next week. Are ya serious? For a family reunion. Needless to say, we will not be in attendance. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Texas saying young people should go out because it's safe, blaming young people for the spike in cases, then closing bars to limit where they can go out sounds like a good ol' fashion ballroom sqaure dance.

481397478_A-Troupes_Square_Dance.gif.bba77c483ba02cb7fc0f1f53bcd7f2dd.gif

"And 1 and 2 and 3 and blame..."

• Like 1

I actually felt bad for Mike Pence today.  You could tell even HE wasn't buying their attempt to wrap the campaign's refusal to abide their own safety guidelines as a "freedom of speech" issue.  He trotted that lame excuse out twice.  The second time he was asked why the campaign brought hundreds of people together inside, unmasked, in especially hard-hit locales, for political rallies, you could tell in his face that his heart wasn't in the bogus freedom of speech excuse. 

Hey Mike, just once pull your lips off of Donald Trump's ass and tell the truth.  "We held those rallies in spite of medical advice from experts and in spite of pleas from local officials to cancel them because my boss has a massive ego with a pathological need for that ego to be stroked, so we risked the health and lives of thousands of supporters to please him."

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Hey Mike, just once pull your lips off of Donald Trump's ass and tell the truth.  "We held those rallies in spite of medical advice from experts and in spite of pleas from local officials to cancel them because my boss has a massive ego with a pathological need for that ego to be stroked, so we risked the health and lives of thousands of supporters to please him."

"We mutually agreed to pardon each other if **** got real."

FTFY

• Like 1