Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

The areas that already experienced a surge and took mitigating measures are doing pretty well, as in a flat curve. The areas that didn't get hit hard at first and didn't take precautionary measures are now seeing the error in their ways. That's what I'm gathering.

Also, I woke up with a sore throat today which is kinda concerning.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, zskins said:

I didn't like their stance and said in that case just let them get infected and die and there will be less idiots on this planet while the rest of us wear a mask (N95 was just an example in that conversation). 

Yes, and this is you being cavalier, and at best naive.

People who aren't wearing a mask aren't just hurting themselves. They're putting a lot of other people in danger too.

You can't just handwave that by saying everyone else can wear masks and be safe. It doesn't work that way.

• Like 3

inslee was a little slow to respond to the uptick in wa state (like a day or three i mean) but we're going to be dialing things back state-wide a bit and in some counties more so, and entering phase 4 is on hold across the board

for all the understandable perception in other areas of the nation that wa is a way-lib state, here even in the sw region i typically see 2-4 people out of 10 wearing masks in most larger shopping/parking lot situations (from safeway to costco to home depot to dollar store etc.)

it seems a somewhat higher ratio in the larger cities, but i'm rarely tarveling to those places the last couple years

for me the focus of the article is the mask topic and it goes here, and i know this next is also a "cops who need to be fired" thread comment but there is a yuge purge needed of white rightwing leo's made across the nation....yeah, i know but i make no apologies intellectually or morally/ethically...one self-criticism i'll make is it's not realistic but i can advance the notion and promote what it addresses :)  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dont-sheep-washington-sheriff-suggests-200339199.html

'Don't be a Sheep': Washington Sheriff Suggests Residents Defy Statewide Mask Rule

A sheriff in Washington State insinuated that those following a state-wide mask mandate were “sheep,” footage taken by a local journalist on June 23 shows. “In case you guys didn’t hear, Governor Inslee, in his infinite wisdom, has decided after over 100-some-odd days, that we should all wear face masks, inside and out," said Lewis County sheriff Rob Snaza, referring to a decree issued by the Washington Governor earlier on the 23rd. “Here’s what I say, don’t be a sheep,” continued the sheriff.Snaza made his remarks outside Bethel Church, in Chehalis, about 75 miles southwest of Washington, where locals had gathered, reportedly in response to petitions about a controversial local sign, and to counter a rumored appearance by “Antifa.”

Some of those present were armed.Snaza later attempted to clarify his remarks to local TV station KOMO News, telling the channel that he and his colleagues wear masks in their office.On June 25, the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office released a statement encouraging “the public use of all forms of Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions (NPIs) in order to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.”The statement went on to assure local residents that “under Washington law there is nothing prohibiting the wearing of a facial covering while carrying a concealed handgun.”

Snaza’s twin brother, John Snaza, is the sheriff of neighboring Thurston County, which includes the city of Olympia. On June 24, the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office issued its own statement on Inslee’s mask mandate, saying it would urge residents to wear them, but said it would “be inappropriate to criminally enforce this mandate” due to “the minor nature” of the offense, and “the possibility for a negative outcome during an enforcement encounter.”

Deputies would also not be expected to wear face coverings as applying the mask may delay them during emergencies, the statement said. 

video at link where you can "see the people" and watch them interact with sheriff ****-for-brains (chehalis, though small, is not some backwater isolated "podunk' place)

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

And from what I understand, if you made the Bay Area its own color, it would be yellow while the rest of California is orange to red.

True.  I posted this on Friday:

Some COVID-19 patients aren't getting better. Major medical centers are trying to figure out how to help.

Major medical centers nationwide trying to understand why some COVID-19 patients continue to have symptoms weeks and even months after having been diagnosed with the coronavirus.

Amy Watson, 47, is one of those patients. She's had a fever, she said, for more than 100 days.

"It's been maddening," said Watson, a preschool teacher in Portland, Oregon. Since mid-March, her temperature has crept up to 100 or 101 degrees almost daily by midafternoon.

She was diagnosed with COVID-19 in April, about a month after her symptoms — cough, congestion and extreme fatigue — began. Now, those symptoms have evolved into weeks of low-grade fever and a burning sensation under her skin.

"Physicians should not be discounting the experience of individuals, especially in the case of a disease that we know next to nothing about," said David Putrino, a physical therapist and assistant professor at the Mount Sinai Health System in New York City.

"This is very real condition," he said.

Last week, the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also acknowledged such reports and said they are working to better understand the recovery phase of the illness.

Putrino and colleagues at Mount Sinai have begun monitoring COVID-19 patients who experience a milder, long-lasting form of the virus at home.

"What we're trying to understand is what does this new syndrome look like?" Putrino said. "How might we manage it, and how might we help some of these people get back to a regular daily life?"

Dr. Jessica Dine, a lung doctor at Penn Medicine in Philadelphia, said she began noticing a subset of COVID-19 patients whose symptoms lingered long after their diagnoses thanks to a hospital program called COVID Watch, a texting service that does daily check-ins with COVID-19 patients at home.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

And from what I understand, if you made the Bay Area its own color, it would be yellow while the rest of California is orange to red.

Racist. 😁

I live in the East Bay and we've been mostly locked down for 100+ days now. It's helped flatten the curve.

9 hours ago, techboy said:

Yes, and this is you being cavalier, and at best naive.

People who aren't wearing a mask aren't just hurting themselves. They're putting a lot of other people in danger too.

You can't just handwave that by saying everyone else can wear masks and be safe. It doesn't work that way.

Please don't tell me about biology and how it works (I was a bio major and a pre-med student and worked in a hospital in the ER). I know how it works. I am not naive or cavalier. If I am protected and run into a virus do you really think it is going to go under my mask and infect me? When you are fully protected you are NOT going to get the virus!

I still don't understand why you only cherry picked my quote. Why not quote my whole thing? But let me repeat again in case you missed it. Those people in S. FL are demanding the local government to not impose a mandatory face mask rule. They feel it is against their freedom. If they are not going to protect themselves then YOU have to protect yourself.

Sorry, but you are the naive one here. 

Edited by zskins

36 minutes ago, zskins said:

If I am protected and run into a virus do you really think it is going to go under my mask and infect me? When you are fully protected you are NOT going to get the virus!

All right, fine. You have the resources, training, and equipment to stay safe. That means we can let the "idiots kill themselves", because hey... YOU know how to stay safe. Screw the poor single mother who has to go to her job at the grocery store, because she can't afford to stay home, and wouldn't know how to properly use an N95 mask if she could afford one. It's her fault for living in area that doesn't have a mask ordinance, right?

If it makes you feel better, I'm removing "naive" from my list of explanations for your position.

I do think this has become too much about your dangerous thought process, though, and since I'm guessing you don't have any role in public policy, I'll leave it at that.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Racist. 😁

I live in the East Bay and we've been mostly locked down for 100+ days now. It's helped flatten the curve.

Yeah my brother lives in San Jose and I've got friends sprinkled around the area.

My daughter works in a grocery store in Austin, a food co-op. Everyone has to wear a mask and practice social distancing while in it. They reduced their hours so that they can clean evenings and mornings. This is going on for months now. 

They local grocery store in Cedar Park doesn't have the same rules about 30% were wearing masks last time I was in there before Memorial Day. 

And I agree with zskins, we are responsible for ourselves and not others. Due to the recent surge/spike, I am again quarantining myself because I don't trust others to do the right thing, obviously.  It's the prudent thing to do. I always wear a mask.

Edited by LadySkinsFan