Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I still simply do not understand why people **** about wearing masks so much and why it simply is not mandatory everywhere.

I really wish we had a ****ing competent government who would just make it mandatory for everyone in public places to have to wear masks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

One of my former coworkers is a maintenance man at Augusta (home of the Masters). He got tested last Friday, still waiting for results. 

Waaaaay too close to home. His girlfriend is one of my very best friends (she's only 23 but has helped me so much since my husband passed away). 

hoping the best possible for you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love how the self proclaimed law & order party is just so utterly full of **** when it actually comes to law & order. I also love the irony of telling people not to be sheep while believing anything Trump says. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

This is fair, but the claim that different outcomes in Canada and the US is due mainly to differing health systems seems spurious.

Our quality of care is pretty damn good, I’d bet.  And our death rates are very low.

The real difference is the incompetence of Trump and his GOP cronies...and his base.  No healthcare system can overcome that.

I posted this article in the Re-opening the economy thread but some of the info belongs here as well:

Texas governor halts reopening as coronavirus crisis grows; California's declares budget emergency

And the head of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the US has only counted about 10% of coronavirus infections. That might mean as many as 20 million Americans have been infected.

Officially, coronavirus has killed at least 122,238 people and infected almost 2.4 million nationwide, according to Johns Hopkins.

Florida and Texas announced Wednesday that they had recorded more than 5,000 new Covid-19 cases the prior day, a new daily record. California reported more than 7,000 cases, obliterating a record hit a day earlier.

Florida passed 5,000 again on Thursday, according to new state data.

Florida, Texas and California account for 27.4% of the 328 million people living in the US, according to the latest US Census Bureau estimates.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Virus cases surge among the young, endangering older adults

Coronavirus cases are climbing rapidly among young adults in a number of states where bars, stores and restaurants have reopened — a disturbing generational shift that not only puts them in greater peril than many realize but poses an even bigger danger to older people who cross their paths.

In Oxford, Mississippi, summer fraternity parties sparked outbreaks. In Oklahoma City, church activities, fitness classes, weddings and funerals seeded infections among people in their 20s, 30s and 40s. In Iowa college towns, surges followed the reopening of bars. A cluster of hangouts near Louisiana State University led to at least 100 customers and employees testing positive. In East Lansing, Michigan, an outbreak tied to a brew pub spread to 34 people ages 18 to 23.

There and in states like Florida, Texas and Arizona, young people have started going out again, many without masks, in what health experts see as irresponsible behavior.

In Florida, young people ages 15 to 34 now make up 31% of all cases, up from 25% in early June. Last week, more than 8,000 new cases were reported in that age group, compared with about 2,000 among people 55 to 64 years old. And experts say the phenomenon cannot be explained away as simply the result of more testing.

Elected officials such as Florida’s governor have argued against reimposing restrictions, saying many of the newly infected are young and otherwise healthy. But younger people, too, face the possibility of severe infection and death. In the past week, two 17-year-olds in Florida died of the virus.

And authorities worry that older, more vulnerable people are next.

“People between the ages 18 and 50 don’t live in some sort of a bubble,” Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt said. “They are the children and grandchildren of vulnerable people. They may be standing next to you at a wedding. They might be serving you a meal in a restaurant.”

The virus has taken a frightful toll on older people in the U.S., which leads the world in total deaths, at over 120,000, and confirmed infections, at more than 2.3 million. Eight out of 10 deaths in the U.S. have been in people 65 and older. In contrast, confirmed coronavirus deaths among 18- to 34-year-olds number in the hundreds, though disease trackers are clamoring for more accurate data.

Click on the link for the full article
Edited by China

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This is fair, but the claim that different outcomes in Canada and the US is due mainly to differing health systems seems spurious.

Our quality of care is pretty damn good, I’d bet.  And our death rates are very low.

The real difference is the incompetence of Trump and his GOP cronies...and his base.  No healthcare system can overcome that.

Agree with you and Sin. I was just posting it to add info to the discussion when someone else showed it to me.

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

You all need to read what Potter has to say. He's an ex-insurance executive and describes how the for profit insurance system works. Like everything else, take what you will but he does have some good information.

I'd love to see more stats on folks filing for medical bankruptcy just no.  Our healthcare system us pretty good, then kills you in other ways.

6 hours ago, purbeast said:

I still simply do not understand why people **** about wearing masks so much and why it simply is not mandatory everywhere.

I really wish we had a ****ing competent government who would just make it mandatory for everyone in public places to have to wear masks.

How does the devil get into this conversation....lol These people are nuts. Let them die. It is their right. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/24/mask-mandate-florida-anger-erupts-coronavirus-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zskins said:

How does the devil get into this conversation....lol These people are nuts. Let them die. It is their right. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/24/mask-mandate-florida-anger-erupts-coronavirus-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

As I told my friend: at this point in time, its like taking up smoking. We all the know the risks involved with smoking, unless you're a child or a moron, you have no excuse. Don't feel bad for these people, it is their right to be stupid, apparently.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zskins said:

I'm fine with letting them kill themselves as long as they don't kill me or anybody I care about in the process.  Therein lies the problem, they're a danger not only to themselves, but others as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, China said:

I'm fine with letting them kill themselves as long as they don't kill me or anybody I care about in the process.  Therein lies the problem, they're a danger not only to themselves, but others as well.

Except if you are wearing a mask you are not going to get it or die. They are not going to wear a mask and it may/will kill them. Less idiots on the planets are fine by me. :)

1 minute ago, zskins said:

Except if you are wearing a mask you are not going to get it or die. 

You can't guarantee that.  Hell condoms aren't 100% effective, masks sure as hell aren't.  They minimize risk, not eliminate it.

• Like 3