Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

I still think he is trying to kill us. He is only about himself, he cares nothing for anyone else. He needs to be charged with negligent homicide and removed!

Edited by Skintime

If this is turns out to be the case then it implies a vaccine will be ineffective (not sure if they have ever developed an effective vaccine for any other corona virus type).

Antibody levels in recovered COVID-19 patients decline quickly: research.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-antibody-idUSKBN23T1CJ

Edited by nonniey

This may be a little off topic but am I the only person who finds all these facemasks worn by politicians with the flag on it, or the presidential seal, or whatever, really ****ing tacky? Just put on a goddamn surgical mask and do your ****ing job. We don't need your ****ing mask to try and convince us how patriotic you are or how awesome your state is. 

• Thanks 1

I am absolutely horrified when I see what's happening in the US. I feel so sorry for you guys. I got some good friends from the US, they fear for their parents obviously and that is just a situation that no one should have to go through if it is somewhat preventable.

I live in Austria where we were lucky enough that the government closed down the whole country before it was too late. Now we have a rather constant level of 400-500 active cases with a population of around 9 million. Most of the restrictions were lifted. We are still supposed to practice social distancing and we have to wear a mask in public transportation, in pharmacies and when we see the doctors but almost everything is open.

So I would argue that we have done a rather good job so far and it is estimated that actually more people died from the flu than from Corona here.

And now we have a growing amount of morons that thinks this whole thing is fake and all of the government's actions were exaggerated. The fact that we actually came through the first wave rather well is now hurting the credibility of the government. Obviously not everything was perfect, there were many errors with the government's communication, etc. but this is still such a head-scratcher.

I work in research and I know how much work only one research study is. People dedicate their entire lives towards finding cures or helping to prevent the spread of deadly viruses only to get death threats from some absolute morons who watched three youtube videos and heard something about a big conspiracy. I am honestly afraid that this fake news and these disinformation campaigns are getting out of hand.

And then you guys have such a moron as president. Someone who boasts himself with the high testing numbers when other countries (e.g. Austria) have already massively decreased the testing rate because there are basically almost no suspected cases (a recent representative random sample found 0 cases).

The whole world prays for this disaster to be over in November. Please vote! The world needs a reliable USA.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Too little too late in Texas. Lots of morons here who don't care about others.

I also live in Texas and concur completely. It’s too late. We’re ****ed.

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

If this is turns out to be the case then it implies a vaccine will be ineffective (not sure if they have ever developed an effective vaccine for any other corona virus type).

As will the idea of herd immunity.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

Antibody levels in recovered COVID-19 patients decline quickly: research.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-antibody-idUSKBN23T1CJ

This indicates nothing of that sort. The bodies immune response is quite varied and never reliant on just one type of antibody or immune cell.

We don’t have a coronavirus vaccine because we’ve never needed one before. But in the family of viruses, they are a fairly simple target for vaccines because of their high genomic stability and low mutation rates.

Edited by No Excuses

2 hours ago, Hooper said:

Remember Abbot saying the older folks would be fine sacrificing themselves for the good of economy and the younger folks

Of course things are terrible in Texas with that kind of "leadership."

I'm an older person in Texas and I didn't agree to sacrifice myself on the altar of Trump and his minions' non-sense.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Fauci - "Trump never asked me to slow down testing"

Also Fauci - "Trump and I haven't talked in 2-3 weeks now"

That sounds like he didn't ask Fauci to do it because he knew he wouldn't, just pushed him out instead.

I dont think Trump asked for testing to be slowed down. He was just in the middle of riffing on Saturday night and sounded like a moron as usual.

I like how he is now saying that all the steps he took saved millions of lives. But yet in February and early March he publicly downplayed this thing as much as he could.

What an asshole.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I dont think Trump asked for testing to be slowed down. He was just in the middle of riffing on Saturday night and sounded like a moron as usual.

I like how he is now saying that all the steps he took saved millions of lives. But yet in February and early March he publicly downplayed this thing as much as he could.

What an asshole.

He's done everything in his power to slow down testing. Does it actually have to be an email from his outlook account?

No doubt in my mind he told who would do it to help slow down testing. There's a zillion different ways to do and say that, and he's even defending it in some cases while trying to say he didnt explicitly tell them to do that.

This is how he survived the Russia probe, do best he could to not make it seem like he directed anyone to do this for him. Everyone was just doing what he would like despite him never asking them specifically to do it.

Sure.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

When do we shut down in certain places again?

I thought it would never happen but might have to at this rate.

Inevitable and might not need it once actual fear starts to set in.

Folks that wanted to put the economy over lives have been doing everything to pump hot air into a consumer confidence balloon with holes on every side of it.

Trying to convince folks they are safe to go out and spend disposable income in a consumer dependent economy only looked easy because folks we're tired of being told they couldn't.

Georgia knew this and pretended to learn the hard way that just being open doesn't keep anyone in business, their government just wanted to get out of any welfare programs linked to telling folks to be safe and thus having to raise taxes to save businesses they never really wanted to save.

The easiest thing to do is just act like their isn't a problem and hope it goes away. But like the saying goes, if you don't schedule your server maintenance, your server schedules it for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

jeez...there's different stuff in today's trump rally in az that's solid material fitting for three different threads or maybe four 

per this one: the rally is in a rightwing mega-church and that population was heavily recruited for attendance and they're packing the seating

ther's , a ton of young people, all maga-ed out, and very few masks, a lot of az elected officials and a fair number of adults in each others' laps and faces and chatting noisily away...in az....with what's going on there spike wise...today...for trump..."church folk"....."pro-life"....

The Dudes Who Won’t Wear Masks

Last week, the former Major League Baseball player Aubrey Huff announced on Twitter that he was no longer going to wear a mask inside any business. “It’s unconstitutional to enforce,” he wrote. “Let’s make this bull**** stop now! Who’s with me?” In a video that went viral the following day, he said his critics had tried to shame him for “threatening the lives of millions of innocent people” and insisted that he considered dying from the coronavirus preferable to “wearing a damn mask.”

Thousands of people responded to Huff. Many called him a social disgrace for disrespecting his community, abdicating his civic duty, and putting Grandma at risk. The anger toward mask naysayers is understandable, and shaming can feel relieving in the moment. Yet those responses did nothing to persuade Huff to wear a mask. Instead, they played right into his notions about the finger-wagging, “elitist” public-health experts who want to take away the freedoms of ordinary Americans.

During a health crisis, some people quickly accommodate a major shift in behavioral norms. But long-standing habits—such as not wearing a mask to the grocery store—are difficult to break, and until recently few American adults have been called upon to do so. Some have, though, and the parallels are instructive.

The public-health messaging around masks during the coronavirus pandemic has been muddled and confusing. The federal government recommended against face coverings for the public in March, with some public-health officials positing that they may even cause more harm than good. But a growing body of science, including evidence that people can transmit the virus when they don’t have symptoms, indicates that masks are an important tool for mitigating coronavirus transmission, especially in combination with physical distancing, hand hygiene, and other preventive strategies. Indeed, public-health concerns may justify mask mandates in some settings, including indoor spaces where many people gather for extended periods of time. But mandates have major downsides: Any enforcement is likely to disproportionately affect communities that are already marginalized, and some Americans—including some elected leaders in states facing serious coronavirus outbreaks—believe that requiring people to wear masks is an infringement on civil liberties. In practice, if Americans are going to mask up, public-health officials will have to cajole, not compel.

This will not be easy. When the president mocks mask wearers for appearing weak and sees face coverings as a political statement against him, it’s no surprise that some Americans are loudly declining to wear them. Mask refusers are more likely to be politically conservative, an ominous trend when new coronavirus cases and hospitalizations are increasing steeply in some red states—the very states where mask mandates are least likely to be adopted. As one research team noted, men are especially likely to opt out of wearing masks, believing them to be “shameful,” “a sign of weakness,” and “not cool”—even though men are at higher risk than women of dying from coronavirus infection.

Click on the link for the full article

simple principle: the health of the economy is tied to controlling the pandemic. Not understanding this is going to have dire consequences in states full of people who have spent their lifetimes voting for idiots and believing in anti-science conspiracy theories.

• Sad 1