Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

8 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It’s like it registered in their broken minds for one second how insane this person truly is.

I've seen this before in person when he talked about redistributing wealth to farmers suffering from his tarrifs, the spell can be broken if he says the wrong thing (even if jus temporarily).  

Need to see how this one looks a couple days from now.  His base is using talking points in how its safer because of test numbers and him admiting to cooking them to look safer then it actually is outside...Fox clearly hasn't figured out how to spin it yet (they may just act like it didn't happen until they do). 

He was joking...from the folks that love that he says what he means. For a split second some of them probably realized he's going to get them killed, then asked themselves if it was worth? That's who will be left after this is said and done.

Edited by Renegade7

And right on cue, his people are going back to the tried and true "well he was obviously just kidding" excuse when Trump says something that's absolutely 100% awful and also absolutely 100% impossible to actually defend.

He also called COVID-19 "kung flu". Jesus, this guy is just so goddamn horrid. Remember when Mitt Romney talking about "binders full of women" was a borderline campaign ending utterance? Or when a weird yell basically ended Howard Dean's presidential campaign?

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

Worldometer.com has been tracking daily new COVID cases since march 8th. That's 104 days worth of data.

Since March 8th, there have only been 9 days where over 33,000 new cases were reported. Just 9 days out of 104.

Two of those days were Friday and yesterday.

There has never been three straight days of 33,000+ new COVID cases. We've been averaging around 20K new cases on Sunday for the last month and a half.

Edited by Califan007

Another thing...and if I were news anchors interviewing Trump's people I'd be pressing this...let's assume that Trump's aids are right and he was joking about COVID-19 testing as well as saying **** like "Kung flu". I mean, obviously they aren't, and they're completely lying to try and deflect once again from something completely indefensible that Trump said.

But let's assume it's true.

Why is that OK? Why is it acceptable for the President of the United States to make jokes about a disaster that has literally killed 120,000 Americans so far, and is showing little signs of abating? Can you imagine George W Bush making jokes about 9-11 while the bodies were still being counted? Or Obama making jokes about Hurricane Sandy victims in the days following it?

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, clietas said:

I'll never forget that. Tho in my mind when he screamed he was going to Pennsylvania I still hear Wrestlemania. 

Likewise. And I'll also never not see this in my head:

Byah Dave Chapelle Black Howard Dean - Album on Imgur

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Which milestone comes 1st in US?  1 million deaths or CDC declaring we've reached herd immunity?  

1 million deaths will come first.  Math says that for herd immunity at 60% of 330 million is 198 million people infected.  At the current death rate of 5% that would be more than 9 million dead to reach herd immunity.  At a 1% death rate we still hit nearly 2 million dead before we get to herd immunity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Which milestone comes 1st in US?  1 million deaths or CDC declaring we've reached herd immunity?  

1 million deaths. Somebody posted a really good article the other day. Summarizing it...

-Most likely, millions of people are going to die.

-Our only hope is a vaccine.

-The odds of producing a vaccine are about as good as hitting a hole in one.

-The only thing we’ve got going for us is that we have the equivalent of the 100 best golfers in the world all taking their shot at it.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

Why is that OK? Why is it acceptable for the President of the United States to make jokes about a disaster that has literally killed 120,000 Americans so far, and is showing little signs of abating? Can you imagine George W Bush making jokes about 9-11 while the bodies were still being counted? Or Obama making jokes about Hurricane Sandy victims in the days following it?

It is not OK, but it is also apparent that there are too many folks in this country who simply don't give a damn.

As far as the covid death toll, I am cautiously optimistic (based on absolutely nothing else) that we aren't going to see anywhere close to a million covid deaths. Yes, positive cases are increasing in a number of states,  but the overall death numbers appear to be coming down somewhat. I believe we are going to wind up with a total closer to 150K than 200K. I think the CDC's initial estimate in March of the 100K-240K range (with social distancing, which we are still doing to a large extent) is going to be fairly spot on. Of course, you'll have folks who say with respect to the current 120K that "well, a hundred thousand of them are due to that KWO-MO in New York."  Whatever...……………..

5 hours ago, hail2skins said:

It is not OK, but it is also apparent that there are too many folks in this country who simply don't give a damn.

As far as the covid death toll, I am cautiously optimistic (based on absolutely nothing else) that we aren't going to see anywhere close to a million covid deaths. Yes, positive cases are increasing in a number of states,  but the overall death numbers appear to be coming down somewhat. I believe we are going to wind up with a total closer to 150K than 200K. I think the CDC's initial estimate in March of the 100K-240K range (with social distancing, which we are still doing to a large extent) is going to be fairly spot on. Of course, you'll have folks who say with respect to the current 120K that "well, a hundred thousand of them are due to that KWO-MO in New York."  Whatever...……………..

I think we'd be insanely lucky if we only ended up with 150,000 deaths by the end of summer, let alone election time. IMO that would require something almost miraculous to happen like the virus suddenly going dormant for no discernible reason. Cases are currently increasing dramatically in many states. On the majority of days in the past couple of weeks we've been at around 1,000 deaths per day nationally. I think we're just now starting to see the results of states relaxing shutdown orders. We're already over 120,000. If we got lucky and deaths went down to 700 per day we'd still be well over 200,000 by the end of October. And this is all assuming no full second wave in the fall.

If we had a semi-competent administration that actually cared, had some sort of national testing and tracing strategy, and some way to implement it, I'd be more optimistic. But we don't. They don't care. They are hopelessly incompetent. They don't have a strategy, outside of pretending it's over (which is even more dangerous). We're on our own. 

• Like 2