Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

42 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Might want to think about closing the Keys again.

Seeing the cases rise day over day makes me not quite as disappointed that we didn't head down there last week.  Over the weekend it was killing me that I wasn't down there chillin on a beach for Father's Day like I had planned, but at least I feel somewhat justified in deciding against it.  Even though the cases in the Keys is super low, but I am sure the amount of people traveling from souther Florida down there right now is astronomical.

Still blows because I could be diving RIGHT NOW.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2

Coronavirus Live Updates: Cases in the U.S. Grow to Their Highest Levels Since April

Governments around the world are scrambling to stop outbreaks before they become new waves of infection. A New York Times/Siena College poll found that voters widely rejected President Trump’s response to the pandemic.

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut will require certain out-of-state travelers entering their states to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival. At the moment, that applies to nine states, including Florida, Texas and Washington State, New York’s governor said.

More than 35,000 new coronavirus cases were identified across the United States on Tuesday, according to a New York Times database, the highest single-day total since late April and the third-highest total of any day of the pandemic.

As the United States continues to reopen its economy, case numbers are rising in more than 20 states, mostly in the South and West. Florida on Wednesday reported a new daily high of 5,508 cases. Texas reported more than 5,000 cases on Tuesday, its largest single-day total yet. Arizona added more than 3,600 cases, also a record. And in Washington State, where case numbers are again trending upward, the governor said residents would have to start wearing masks in public.

“This is about saving lives,” said Gov. Jay Inslee, a Democrat. “It’s about reopening our businesses. And it’s about showing respect and care for one another.”

The elevated case numbers are a result of worsening conditions across much of the country as well as increased testing, but testing alone does not explain the surge. The percentage of people in Florida testing positive has risen sharply. Increases in hospitalizations also signal the virus’s spread. Arizona reported its highest number of virus hospitalizations on Monday.  In Texas, more than 4,000 people with the virus are hospitalized, more than double the number at the beginning of June.

“I strongly feel we are moving in the wrong direction and we are moving fast,” Mayor Sylvester Turner of Houston said.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Sad 3

35 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Seeing the cases rise day over day makes me not quite as disappointed that we didn't head down there last week.  Over the weekend it was killing me that I wasn't down there chillin on a beach for Father's Day like I had planned, but at least I feel somewhat justified in deciding against it.  Even though the cases in the Keys is super low, but I am sure the amount of people traveling from souther Florida down there right now is astronomical.

Still blows because I could be diving RIGHT NOW.

We have a family place on Singer Island and I spent most of May and June positioning myself to spend a good 7-10 days blasting mojitos at the pool in July without having my phone blow up 5 times a day.

Nevermind.

• Like 1

So I coach a pretty high level youth flag football team (as far as youth flag football teams go) down in Texas. This is happening out here this weekend.

https://ffwct.com/flag-football-tournaments/2020-ffwct-arlington-national-championships

Two day tournament with 150-200 teams (Mostly adult) from all over the country. Good stuff 😕👍

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

So I coach a pretty high level youth flag football team (as far as youth flag football teams go) down in Texas. This is happening out here this weekend.

https://ffwct.com/flag-football-tournaments/2020-ffwct-arlington-national-championships

Two day tournament with 150-200 teams (Mostly adult) from all over the country. Good stuff 😕👍

Yay Texas!

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/states.html#

keep your eyes peeled for quite the clip of fla residents in some legislative chamber (didn't catch the specific setting) railing against this area making masks mandatory now....the part i saw was this string of apparently trump supporting white women speaking out at the podium and it's special...they ridicule the credential of the doctors, say they're brainwashed by tv (themselves being loyal rush, fox, and oan supporters no doubt), and one said they were rejecting god's marvelous breathing system

awesome

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

keep your eyes peeled for quite the clip of fla residents in some legislative chamber (didn't catch the specific setting) railing against this area making masks mandatory now....the part i saw was this string of apparently trump supporting white women speaking out at the podium and it's special...they ridicule the credential of the doctors, say they're brainwashed by tv (themselves being loyal rush, fox, and oan supporters no doubt), and one said they were rejecting god's marvelous breathing system

awesome

My mother-in-law doesn't really believe in this COVID "stuff". Doesn't believe what her doctor tells her. Needs a knee replacement—goes to the doctor.

It takes some special kind of mental gymnastics to roll with this mindset.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

trump and his cronies gave a lot out of time and effort to their "obama left empty cupboards"  narrative, even if every non-trumper dismissed the charge out of hand...but now we have some numbers from his own admin (cspan/cnn/pbs reports)...one big example was the "we had no ventilators stockpiled'...turns out they had 16,000 stockpiled...none have been bought under trump admin....and to this date they've only delivered 11,000....but they still go on yelling about no ventilators left for them and "look, now people are suffering"...

• Sad 1

Just now, Jumbo said:

trump and his cronies gave a lot out of time and effort to their "obama left empty cupboards"  narrative, even if every non-trumper dismissed the charge out of hand...but now we have some numbers from his own admin (cspan/cnn/pbs reports)...one big example was the "we had no respirators stockpiled'...turns out they had 16,000 stockpiled...none have been bought under trump admin....and to this date they've only delievered 11,000....but they still go on yelling about no respirators left for them and "now people are suffering"...

Actually, in their 2020 budget proposal, the administration stated that all measures of pandemic readiness were at 99% or better. They used that finding to scale back funding for the pandemic response team President Obama put in place, including the post with WHO in China. I posted the reference some pages back. I will try to find it again but it was not just hearsay. It was verified. 

Suddenly when we got hit by a pandemic, the cupboards were bare and had been since day 1. So either they lied in saying the country's readiness was at 99% or better or they lied when they said the cupboards were bare. You just cannot have it both ways - well unless you live in trumpland i guess. My money was always on the later. It made no sense for the Obama administration to spend all that time and money to prepare for a potential pandemic then not have the equipment ready that they could. 

Another thing they have to keep walking back is the effectiveness of wearing a mask. Those working in the administration were told to tell everyone masks were only so effective becasue they didn't want doctors and health care professionals to run out. Dr. Fauci has stated so publicly several times now. (I saw it myself and shame on him for going along. I think Dr Birx did also but I do not remember seeing it myself so I could be wrong there.  

And the list of incompetence and sheer idiocy goes eerily along. 

• Like 3

'I didn't take this seriously': Tempe man with COVID-19 says he regrets sharing drinks in bar

After five hours of shoveling rocks into his family’s backyard, Jimmy Flores, 30, met up with his close friends at the bars in Old Town Scottsdale on a Saturday night in June.

“This bar was super packed. I was kind of concerned because I was like, man, everyone’s tight, they have limited cups. Some people were sharing drinks, it was weird,” said Flores, who also shared drinks with his friends that night.  

The next day, Flores said his body was sore before going to bed, but he shrugged it off as being tired from working and drinking. Then, Flores woke up in the middle of the night with a temperature of 103 degrees.  

"I texted my buddy and said, "I think I'm getting the flu.' He goes, 'That is scary because I am too,'" Flores told The Arizona Republic. 

After testing positive for COVID-19 the week of June 8, Flores said Maricopa County Department of Public Health employees were able to trace the new coronavirus to a bar in north Scottsdale. Flores said the department asked him not to share the name of the bar.

So, I am going back into self quarantine. I talked to my daughter this afternoon and we're going back to her buying and bringing my groceries. Things are bad here in the greater Austin area again, huge numbers of positive results and hospitalizations. 

My granddaughter is visiting her other grandparents in Plano, daughter not happy about it, the father took her there (his parents).

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

We're about to have our worst day for deaths in possibly the entire pandemic here in California. I drove my wife and kid to the airport and took them up to security, but we followed all the protocols. I had gloves and a mask on. Not sure what else can be done, honestly. 

I'm worried for them, traveling to see family in Indiana, and I'm worried for the current situation here at home, but you reach a point where worrying doesn't really do anything. You hit your limit on the actions you can take and need to just keep going. It's the people who aren't doing anything in their day to day lives to protect themselves and others that need to increase their caution, not me. 

That being said, I am inviting a couple friends over to my apartment this week, just one each day, so we can see each other, get takeout, watch a movie and experience some normalcy. Both of them work from home and take the guidelines very seriously, so I don't have much to worry about there. I am in very real danger of getting extremely lonely and depressed with my wife and child gone, so I believe the net benefit of seeing friends will offset any COVID-19 anxiety I may experience. 

• Like 7

Citing bad coronavirus trends, Cooper extends Phase 2 business closures, issues mask mandate

RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina is in no shape right now to open more businesses and resume more social activities during the coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Roy Cooper said Wednesday.

Citing metrics that continue to rise instead of leveling off or decreasing, Cooper extended Phase 2 of his three-part pandemic response plan for at least three more weeks. He also issued a statewide mandate that people age 11 and older cover their faces in public, as of 5 p.m. Friday.

Law enforcement can cite businesses that don't require their staff and encourage their customers to wear masks, he said, and officers can charge customers who refuse to comply after being asked with trespass and remove them from a business.

"We're taking this pause right now to make sure we can level out our numbers before moving on." he said at a news conference. "Everybody needs to get with this program to move our economy forward."

Trump's idol is going to give him ideas:

Putin, safe behind Kremlin walls, declares victory over COVID-19 with huge military parade

fter months of coronavirus-related setbacks, Russian President Vladimir Putin was set to preside Wednesday over a long-awaited military blowout to celebrate 75 years since Nazi Germany's defeat in World War II.

But as Russia emerges — perhaps prematurely — from almost three months of lockdowns to curb the spread of the virus, the parade has taken on additional meaning for the Kremlin: as a declaration of victory over the virus itself and a turning point in Putin's reign.

The parade will kick off a weeklong nationwide vote on a series of proposed constitutional amendments that, among other things, would reset presidential term limits — allowing Putin, 67, if he so desires, to rule Russia until 2036.

Putin announced the parade a month ago, on May 26, "since the situation in the country as a whole, including in the majority of the regions and in the armed forces, remains stable and is stabilizing in other regions after we reached the peak of the outbreak."

But since then, Russia's coronavirus situation hasn't markedly improved. Rather than reporting 9,000 new cases per day, as was the case a month ago, Russia's daily new cases in recent days have fluctuated from 8,000 to 7,500.

Opposition figures, such as Alexei Navalny, have pointed to the figures and argued that the Kremlin is moving ahead with the parade to convince residents that it is safe to go out and participate in the constitutional referendum, which is scheduled for July 1, with polls opening Friday.

"Everyone knows that this madness is being carried out for one person," Navalny wrote in a blog post Monday. "This parade has one viewer. He is sitting in his bunker. He stayed there for two and half months because he was afraid of getting infected himself."

I hope people understand that this isn't a second wave of the virus, it's a continuation of the first peak, aggravated by opening society too soon. Peace to the people who are suffering and those who will suffer over the summer because some people don't take Covid-19 seriously. 

As an older person who some people think are expendable, I don't offer myself to disease and death because some people are stupid. And stupidity is about the only charitable way I can describe them.

• Like 5