Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

For sake of argument, the real discussion probably should be about can we force the cure on everyone (when it exists). 

Forced sterilization of those who refuse?  Don't let the dangerously stupid anti-vaxxers reproduce.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

For sake of argument, the real discussion probably should be about can we force the cure on everyone (when it exists). 

Total herd immunity won't be achieved without it. 

Its also probably nearly impossible in the US, seeing how the anti-vax movement thrives.

Actually Dr. Gottlieb was saying on CNBC this morning that after accounting for the number of people that will already have had it by the time a vaccine is developed, around 30% of people getting vaccinated is probably enough.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

We have no idea what this virus can do or be. That's why predictions for an early vaccines are not feasible. Beware Trump announcing a vaccine in October, a so-called October Surprise. It's not happening and any such announcements should be viewed with suspicion.

Or how about this:

If you want a vaccine, vote for me.  If you vote for Biden, he will give the vaccine to the chinese first.   I, Donald Trump will have a vaccine for you on Nov. 4th, but only if you vote for me.

33 minutes ago, techboy said:

If you "know", why did you ask? 

Okay, you win. I removed "naive" from the list of potential explanations of your position, especially given your follow-up about "constitutional rights". 

I have to tell you, though, if "naive" triggered you you probably don't want to see the other options. :(

To answer your question though, there is no constitutional right to not wear a mask, any more than there is a constitutional right not to wear pants.

Ordinances work because most people follow the rules, and as Dr. Gottlieb mentioned, you don't need EVERYBODY to wear a mask... Just most people.

Further, you don't have to have the ones that don't comply arrested... It empowers businesses and others to deal with them appropriately. Businesses can be fined or shut down if THEY don't comply.

I know this about wearing mask and what was said in the video. ;)

It is not about me winning or you losing or vise versa, it is about why can't we have a civil conversation without saying someone is naive when you don't even know who I am and how much I know. So yeah, truce on the naive thing. :)

Sure I might have missed a few reports here and there, now that, I am no longer working from home and not in front of my computer all day. 

I have an open mind and do a lot of research so that I am aware of things and on top of it. I am the sole provider for my wife and 3 kids and have to go out almost everyday and don't wanted to get infected before a stable vaccine comes out. I will do whatever it takes to protect me. I can't force people who are not willing to do that. The government has been ineffective so far in enforcing things when your own President doesn't want people seeing him wearing a mask.  So, don't think that is going to change even if there was an ordinance. Like you said most people will follow it but not everyone. The stupid people will continue to do stupid things. No ordinance is going to change that. 

I really wanted to see your response which you have provided. No need for arrest. Just hefty fines will do. 

As for businesses doing their part, a taco joint in CA shut down because they told the customers to wear a mask and the customers retaliated against the employees. As long as there are crazy and stupid people out there it is going to be very hard to control this virus from spreading for years to come if an effective vaccine doesn't get approved first. Even then you will still have people who will refuse to get the vaccine. 

Us humans are our own enemy sometimes. 

Edited by zskins

From our Cedar Park Mayor, Corbin Van Arsdale .  There was more but these are the important parts.

After listening to feedback from our residents, our Cedar Park Chamber of Commerce, and several key business owners in one-on-one calls, later today I’m issuing an order that directs our Cedar Park businesses and non-profits to require face coverings indoors for both employees and visitors. It will become effective this Wednesday. 

First, this will protect our Cedar Park residents. Our Wilco ICU bed usage is at 88% and expected to fill soon if big changes don’t happen right now.  Cedar Park has only four ICU beds currently available. One of us, or someone we care about, may need an ICU bed this summer. We must do everything we can to make sure that bed will be there. Since I’ve been on the city council, I don’t remember receiving more emails/phone calls about any issue than I have in the last 10 days on the issue of face coverings. The ratio from residents has been 9-to-1 in favor of businesses requiring face coverings. 

Second, this will protect our businesses and our economy—particularly our small businesses.  The businesses themselves have universally told me they are highly supportive of having such a directive in place. When a customer infects one of their employees, sometimes the entire business has to temporarily shut down. Also, businesses should not have to deal with unequal playing fields with their competitors when making mask policies, while they’re fighting to survive. That playing field should be level. Further, not requiring face coverings will expose our businesses to tremendous liability exposure from post-COVID litigation. While our large corporate and multi-national businesses can maybe survive a second statewide shutdown, our smaller businesses simply can’t—many would be bankrupted by that. We can't let it had happen.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

On 6/27/2020 at 9:58 AM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Out here at flag football nationals… In Texas…

Update: we won the 8U, 10U, 12U, and 14U divisions and finished runner-up in 16U, thus cementing my legacy as the greatest youth flag football coach of all time. I’d like to thank the virus for making this possible. Turns out it’s a lot easier to win nationals when you live in a disease infested state that people are afraid to travel to and the host city is 20 minutes from your house. You da real MVP Corona.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/06/30/heres-the-official-leader-in-the-covid-19-vaccine.aspx

Here's the "Official" Leader in the COVID-19 Vaccine Race

When the World Health Organization (WHO) says that a given anti-coronavirus product is a leader, that's about as official as it gets in the fast-moving world of COVID-19 therapies and vaccines.

Earlier this year, a top WHO executive stated that Gilead Sciences' remdesivir was the leading therapy targeting COVID-19. Remdesivir, of course, has now become the de facto standard of care for the novel coronavirus disease.

Last week, WHO chief scientist Soumya Swaminathan stated in a news conference that one experimental COVID-19 vaccine appears to be "probably the leading candidate." Which vaccine is it?

WHO's who

Swaminathan thinks that the COVID-19 vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca (NYSE:AZN) and the University of Oxford should be viewed as the top contender right now. There are two main reasons why.

First, the AstraZeneca-Oxford AZD1222 vaccine is already in a phase 3 clinical study. No other COVID-19 vaccine candidates have yet advanced to late-stage testing. Swaminathan specifically noted "how advanced they are" and "the stage at which they are" in naming the vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford as the likely leader.

Second, Swaminathan said that she thinks "AstraZeneca certainly has a more global scope at the moment in terms of where they are doing and planning their vaccine trials." The late-stage testing of AZD1222 will be conducted in several countries, with trials already in progress in the United Kingdom, Brazil, and South Africa.

The vaccine candidate was originally developed by the University of Oxford's Jenner Institute. AstraZeneca teamed up with Oxford in April and owns the rights to distribute the COVID-19 vaccine globally. AZD1222 was one of only a handful of novel coronavirus vaccines selected by the Trump administration to receive federal funds as part of Operation Warp Speed, an initiative to rapidly develop a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.

A close No. 2

Another COVID-19 vaccine is a close No. 2, according to the WHO chief scientist. Swaminathan views Moderna (NASDAQ:MRNA) as "not far behind" AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford in the race to develop a COVID-19 vaccine.

Rest of the article in the link above. 

• Thanks 1

The nagging question I keep having in the back of my mind is what does "cured" mean for the millions of people who have had the illness so far?  Are we talking about no longer showing symptoms as cured?  Are we talking about cured like I no longer have cold sores so I am "cured."  Are we looking at something like MS (only because it is one with which I am familiar)  where when outside stressors on our immune system happen we can relapse?  I look forward to the tested, working vaccine as much as anyone, but there are already an awful lot of people who have or have had COVID 19. 

I just worry we may not be looking at the big picture with this illness, one where we are already predicting to deal with yearly version, like the flu.

The pessimist side of me worries this is our new normal for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

He spent his whole 5 minutes ranting, and didn't even ask a single question. 

Pretty dumb for a doctor. 

He's not a doctor anymore, he's violated every stitch of the Hippocratic Oath in order to maintain his hypocritical stances.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Rand Paul is a bag of crap.

he is like so many public figures right now in that i struggle mightily to get past the emo-reaction of just wanting to see them subject to an absolutely devastating sentence by a jury of their peers, or suitable alternative....i do try to be flexible....

• Like 4